App - The Party Van

Man (@dude) , you’re gonna love the new ‘glitch’ mode of the karma cores. I pretty much finished the glitch mode a month ago or so (I want to add some more probability-based complex interrupts, but the core functionality is there).

If it’s of interest I can post my test patch while developing it. It’s not tied to a grid, or has MIDI mapping or anything built in, but it sounds badass. It’s all based on a bunch of samples and audio analysis I did of a couple of skipping CD players. The paradigm of control is a bit different too, so it doesn’t automatically do that ‘drifting rotation’ thing TCG did, but it does random windowing (analysis-based variations), ‘stuck’ CD jumping around, and ‘seeking’ CD movements, all either based on incoming audio, the audio in the buffer, or a random timer.

Ok here’s my test patch for the modes stuff.
http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/party/modes_demo.zip

It’s tidy and the underlying code is well commented, but it’s not UI slick or anything. I added some top level description on how to get started with it, but it’s basically a single karma looper with lots of playback bells-and-whistles.

The descriptions for what each preset does is on the bottom right, and to use it, you just select the karma mode you want (top left) and then its specific preset (i.e. “dictaphone” or “sk-1” etc…), and after that you just use the karma looper as you would normally, and the modes stuff does the rest.

I’m especially pleased with all the glitch and tape modes, so if you (@dude) want to play around with this, have a go. It should be relatively trivial to strip out everything except the glitch mode and turn it into a TCG-flavored karma looper for M4L.

wow! karma looks cool. unfortunately my dumbass couldn’t even get sound out of karma. opened max6. able to load sound files from library. auto looked to be engaged at all points, just nothing on mah speakers.

can karma be a m4l device?

Hi,

I’ve been mucking about with the modes demo for the past hour or so and its fantastic. Really inspiring stuff.

I’m just wondering whether there was a way to modify either of the random glitch modes to be less ‘random’?

Like controlling direction and speed of skipping?

It works in M4L, and if I remember right a couple of people have made M4L devices out of it. Does the regular karma~ helpfile work fine for you? Recording audio and such.

Not directly with how it’s built. But if you look inside mode_glitch~ (mainly inside [p glitchAudioAnalysis] and [p seekGlitch]) you can edit some of the stuff. Also glitchMetro, glitchSeek, and glitchWindow are the main abstractions I built from the analysis, that can easily be repurposed. Because of how these ‘modes’ are set up, it’s kind of awkward as inside the main poly~ I’m doing stuff, and then sending messages outside of it to the main karma~ etc… so the structure isn’t clean, clear, or obvious. This is done for the sake of dsp muting and efficiency since everything that isn’t being used is turned off, so it has to be structured this way.

For these bits specifically it’s easy. The direction is controlled by this bit inside [p glitchSeek]:

It looks much more complex than it is but the expr bit just generates a random number between 0. and 1., then the other bit decides whether it will spit out a 1 (forward seeking) or -1 (reverse seeking). So you can replace the expr with something else, or add a scale or whatever you want to do to change the probability of direction changing.

The speed at which it seeks (again inside the [p glitchSeek]) you can control here:

All of the glitch abstractions (glitchMetro, glitchSeek, glitchWindow) are all built as robustly as possible, so you can easily control the speed at which the seeking happens (here labelled as rate). So if you stick a loadmess (whatever) in there you can control the timing between the seeking jumps.

Hope that helps!

Was already planning on having a TPV session tonight, but now I guess I’ll have to try this out. Have been super excited for this feature ever since you detailed your meticulous glitch analysis and sampling process in the thread a few months ago.

Thanks!!

Tape modes sound great!

I might have to turn that dictaphone preset into a M4L plugin so I can mix with it…

@Rodrigo
Hello Rodrigo,
firs of all thank you very much for the BlocParty…it is just great.
I was having a play yesterday and I noticed two issues that maybe you can help me resolve:

1. my monome do not work straight away, sometime does not have any button feedback and sometime works perfectly…is there any issue with serialosc? are you using a newer version than the one I have maybe?
    I have a wooden enclosure varibright version.

2. it is quite CPU intense…I am on MAC Maverick and I have quite a bit of ram and a SSD drive…no issue with other application, maybe it will benefit from running Max in 64 bit?

Thank you very much

Hi!

1. Does serialosc connect and the buttons don’t respond? I had lots of problems (with the latest serialosc) with the grid not showing up unless I restarted Max.

2. I found a few things that were hogging up a ton of CPU and have since fixed it (for TPV2). It mainly has to do with the combine stuff using a ton of CPU even when it wasn’t engaged. So I fixed that and a couple of other things.

I can try to cobble together another BP beta that fixes the CPU usage.

aahhhh ok, the Combine thing makes sense for me too-- I’m still super behind at merging the next round you’ve provided, since my updates have been pretty stable, and I’m using it regularly, but I’ve also been running at the peak of my CPU… I suspect it might make the most sense for me to simply remove the combine module, since I never use it.

I’ll take a look at how quick/easy it would be to adapt BP to what I did, if it’s not too bad I’ll put out another beta.

Ok, beta7:
http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/party/blockv01_beta7.zip

I haven’t had a chance to test it thoroughly as I’m out and about, and a bunch of other stuff has changed in the core TPV2 code.

This, however, runs twice as fast on my machine (v6 = 19-20% vs v7 = 9-10%), so it should overall run a lot leaner, AND this also deals with an issue that when you finish recording a loop there’s a CPU spike (due to background audio analysis). This delays and defer that analysis, so it shouldn’t kind of lag things immediately.

Live Looping with monome 256

Thanks for your prompt answer!!!

1. serialosc connect and the button respond…only I do not have led feedback…when I restart max it works…

2. thanks for posting the new beta, will try later today (now dealing with paid work )

Have to say that I would like to use Block Party for a project based on drones created by live recording of instruments…of course if you manage to finish TPV2, I might use that.

Keep up the great work.

:slight_smile:

I had a few issues myself with led feedback, sometimes it felt like it was kind of running after the sound, and most of the time I had an issue where past loops / button press kept lighting on and off and although I could still use them normally to record lights kept blinking or disappearing/reappearing which made it unclear what was happening, but I found most of it was due to my CPU kind of agonizing because I used BP with ableton and I had no problem with impro on BP on its own.

That was on V6 though, curious to see if I can get a more stable integration with ableton with V7!

Yeah that’s likely CPU usage. Also I think having “scheduler in overdrive” turned on is good for monome stuff. Give v7 a spin, it’s much lighter on CPU.

i opted (d/t my own ignorance) to get the chocolate grinder up and running via max6/runtime and port the sound into the daw via soundflower. appears to work like a charm. i am hoping to use a midi controller for physical control via midi learn as gui would suggest.

rodrigo thank you! tcg in it’s simplest natural state is my software glitch dream come true.

do you think using a knobby midi controller (not the intended arc) via midi learn assignment sound like a technically functional plan? i realize it isn’t going to feel or look like the arc. but midi fighter twister looks pretty helpful.

TCG has MIDI learn already (it’s in the setup window). You click the ‘learn’ button, then hover over the thing you want to control and tweak the knob you want to control it with.

As you mention, it doesn’t do the looping/inertial stuff, but you can adjust things with MIDI.

i saw the midi knob of course got my hopes up. could one set up the inertial aspect with simple midi control? maybe via a dedicated midi knob per? do you know the name(s) of the parameter(s) within tcg that control said looping/inertial stuff?

I probably won’t do an actual update to TCG itself since it’s incorporated in other stuff, but the thing to control would be the phasor~ here (inside the cd~ patch and inside the archandler1 subpatch):

You can just hardwire a MIDI controller directly to that like this:

You’d have to make sure you can ‘zero’ it back out, as otherwise you won’t have control of position since the inertial thing will completely take over.