Approaching: norns

I certainly can confirm that. It was one of the “features” of OP-1 that made me feel it :slight_smile: In live situations I wanted to make sure that I did not run out of power, so had it connected to USB power supply, which always produced ugly whiny noises.
I mean noses can be lovely. even whiny noises. but when they happen against your intention, that’s a a factor to consider.

1 Like

just to chime in

my op-1 did that too
also speaking of power…
my norns arrived almost fully charged!

i’m taking it home rn but already found a useful detail

on LEVELS mixer screen as dan said

now try holding key 1
your power is displayed in further detail (mAh)

5 Likes

FYI all.

please use these:

and feel free to continue posting here about norns miscellanea

19 Likes

had a look around the device and the backend and am now a bit frightened by how much this is gonna take over my life

i’m bowled over by how familiar some aspects of the user experience are after trying teletype (and to some degree aleph)

but make no mistake
norns is it’s own thing

@tehn your team has mastered the balance between ease of use and depth…this is definitely your most refined and, somehow, most flexible product

i consider that a monumental accomplishment
thank you for this box!

19 Likes

norns is out for delivery. Waffles and I have the same plan:

edit: Five seconds after posting this, the USPS truck rolled into the apartment garage. Awww yissss

34 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Norns: help

super excited to look through the code/dust later tonight.

has all of batch 1 been shipped? thought i made it into the first 100 (order 2312) but perhaps not as i havent gotten a shipping notice.

If it’s any help, i’m 2296 and got a confirmation a couple minutes ago. Had had similar fears over the wknd and traced back to this comment about the first norns order being 2225.

obviously not an official answer from monome, but I’d have faith your shipment notification is forthcoming

1 Like

all shipment notifications are out.

3 Likes

i haven’t tried norns usb, but i did have an op1 (actually two) with major noise over usb. i was never able to fully fix it, but i did make things MUCH better with these three things (#1 has already been mentioned)

•shut off charging in op1’s com menu
•use a power conditioner, like the awesome furman power racks
•use a high quality usb hub [like this one] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792SN8QS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iqCdBbWN5633N)

best of luck!! currently my endorphin shuttle control is my noisy bastard of the studio.

3 Likes

my norns arrived, but opening the box revealed a cracked oled panel :weary:

looks like I’ll be waiting a little bit longer to dive into it. it’s lovely in person and so small!

docs updated and much more to come: https://monome.org/docs/norns

4 Likes

From the updated doc’s.

KEY2 resets sequence positions.

HOLD KEY, then:
ENC1 changes scale mode.
ENC2 changes filter cutoff.
ENC3 changes release time.
TAP KEY1 quickly to enter MENU.

At the top of this section is it mean to say ‘hold key 2’ or 1?

Errbody needs to stop having fun and start uploading some videos of Norns in action!

9 Likes

Im planning on recording my first session in all its beginners mind / noobiness. I think next week sometime depending on aus customs.

2 Likes

pupdate:

48 Likes

I’m being pretty optimistic about arrival time through aus customs. I don’t know if my optimism is warranted.

This (cvPal) will be one of the first things I try out when I get norns.

It lives! Couldn’t stop myself from turning it on in the park on the way home.

11 Likes

you have the prettiest dog
i’m extremely jealous!

4 Likes