Approaching: norns

the tmux approach is super good if both people are familiar with the editor at hand (and you’re fine with a terminal based editor ala vim/emacs). Another alternative is https://floobits.com/ which offers plugins for various popular editors and syncs them (surprisingly well, most of the time) and (formerly screenhero) slack’s screen sharing functionality (allows for control and has audio obviously). Floobits has a free plan, slack requires a paid plan however :frowning:

edit: if you take the tmux approach, https://github.com/zolrath/wemux is quite nice as it adds remote-pairing minded features/niceties for “free”.

3 Likes

This is mega fun unless you’re an emacs user

1 Like

Lovely box showed up this afternoon.

Super intrigued by EMB > LOOPS but it seems to just be blank screens?

EMB scripts not up on Github either?

sorry, it was mistakenly added. unfinished and removed from the repo. (plug in audio input to hear it)

1 Like

@Jojo i will definitely be adding more scripts and engines soon. just have sadly not had a lot of opportunity to actually develop musical applications of norns for myself. some test scripts snuck into the release image but they are a) not very good examples and b) kind of broken by late additions and changes.

at the moment it’s genuinely difficult for me to use the norns without being sucked into working on common backend features / fixes.

(don’t expect anything i add for my use to be screen-heavy or really “app-like” though, never gonna be my style.)

7 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Norns: Development

past. present. future. norns is many tomorrows.

I was listening to Tomorrow's Modern Boxes while I read this. I could help finding a theme here. I can see norns aiding in creating similar sounds from the album actually. Giving me many ideas… if my norns ever gets out of San Diego’s distribution center. Haha

4 Likes

i just made this with norns. sampled a harp, nagaswaram, guitar and drums in mlr. then looped a bassline and some arps with earthsea.

32 Likes

been chattin lots with @kin.sventa, @kcikdrumk , and @murray about all this norns jazz, and got inspired tonight and made some more norns business… here’s three norns pieces all together using awake, then glut, then flin.
for the beat-style thing, i used glut with a tape recording from mlr actually using contact mics thru echophon, erbeverb, and mannequins sisters…
enjoy!

16 Likes

I did not know Glut was partly inspired by this, it’s one my main uses of monome. I’m going to have to sell more stuff to get in on batch three. Fantastic watching you all explore this.

@jlmitch5 I love that music mouse webapp!

2 Likes

for those watching from the sidelines
here’s a norns mlr demo

15 Likes

i liked it so much more than my dog did. :slight_smile:
:dog2:

4 Likes

sorry

i don’t always work in that range but this was mostly mixer feedback

this is great!!!
and 20 characters

1 Like

Should I wait up tonight for the Norns firmware update? Thx!

updating getting wrapped today.

(delayed slightly because (of course) we keep adding more fixes and features)

13 Likes

Just recorded my first full, live take in MLR for the first time after a few days of experimenting (still a ton to learn, though!):

Live recorded some table drumming and whistling along with some droning from the modular (Plaits and w/, mostly). Early in the track, I fade in (and sample) an additional set of modular sounds I had recorded to cassette tape earlier.

16 Likes

With my mother’s passing, she secretly (probably unintentionally) left my brother, sister, and I a substantial amount of money. Priority is paying off my debt. If there’s anything leftover, the priority then becomes to finally buy an Arc and give the Norns a whirl too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I am very sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

some first norns experiments:

39 Likes