Approaching: norns

norns

there is a little bevel. :slight_smile:

17%20PM

was thinking of putting some felt on it…

Perhaps someone might consider making a Deep Synth Norns script? :pray:t3:

i just ordered a case from a library 3 miles away
for free

i never wouldve known w/o your tip…sincere thanks!

Hey.
I have to say i am super frustrated with my norns so far. I don’t know if it’s me or the unit. But it constantly hangs and gets stuck. No matter what i am doing - i can’t go back in the menu. I have to hard reset…
Is there a better tutorial than the paper coming with the unit? > The menu / keys doesn’t work for me as written.
Or is it maybe mandatory to have external gear / a grid. To not get stuck constantly?
Thanks for giving me a hint to leave my frustation behind.

Here an example screen i can’t leave.
How to go out here? What do i have to press. I pressed everything;)

You dont need outboard gear to use Norns. I’m trying to figure out if you’re hung or if the slight weirdness of the control navigation is getting you - sometimes I get confused on how to get back into the menus and it takes some fiddling around.

When I first got mine I did have some hanging associated with WiFi. I think I’d get stuck on that exact screen with a real hang. And some OS releases are more stable than others. Are you able to say which OS build you’re on?

I am on the first release. So was never able to update - as i can’t go back to the menu after saving the WIFI settings.
I am pretty sure the unit is stuck again. As it doesn’t do anything no matter what buttons i press.
I am seeing that behavior in every menu point or patch i am diving into.

Press the white button under the unit and restart.
Don’t use network WiFi, use hotspot if you want to connect to your computer as it’s more stable. If you are not using network WiFi/hotspot remove the WiFi hub as it’s sucks battery life. I leave hotspot switched off in the settings when not using. Update your firmware using a usb, not hotspot/WiFi

I am on the first release.

you need to update. there are serious fixes that have happened since the initial release.

i can walk you through the process if you have trouble

Thanks. I think i managed via USB-Stick now. I see 181008 as current version.
I will try to find my way now.

glad it worked. there’s another update coming today/tomorrow. but things should be much improved in the meantime.

october storm // ambient norns improvisation

two melodic rhodes improvisations are performed with mlr, accompanied by a stereo field recording of last week’s midnight rainstorm played from the cassette deck. gentle melodies become broken loops: jumbled, sliced, shuffled, re-ordered, re-patterned, then sent through ever-thickening layers of strymon tape delay + reverb pedals. thunder occasionally rumbles through the rainfall as the storm builds and ebbs.

Thanks for those videos! Very inspiring sounds and approaches…

I made a joystick-controlled deep note script in my first week with the norns! Haven’t put it in dust because I didn’t think it was interesting enough. I had not heard of this deep synth before, maybe I can get some ideas from it on how to make the script more usefully playable.

that thing were you have made a synth you need to both learn how to programme and play!

Will be “Islands - 4 layers - each with it’s own sound from FM synth (or midi out) - choice of one of three sequencers for each layer” when I’m done.

Still a long way to go - adding sequencers next but I’ve got a few weeks travel free so will get more time (fingers crossed!!!)

I wasn’t too impressed with the Deep Synth demo (great writeup in kbob’s blog, though), but the idea of adapting Earslap’s sc code into something more interactive is definitely appealing.

I’m sort of picturing a grid based chord builder / player, with two modes.

• Edit:
    Assign chords to each column, probably by selecting them from onscreen menus with norns encoders.
  • Perform:
    Press a grid button. Which column you choose determines the target chord. Which row you choose determines the transition speed.

And then, within that…

• Rather than spend a lot of time personalizing the columns, it probably makes sense to just reduce the menu to “pick a root note and scale type”, with columns 0-7 representing diatonic chords, and 8-15 representing single notes.
    There are certainly many songs that require more granular control, but this is sufficient often enough to make it the default (with maybe an “advanced mode” for people who want to THX their way through all the Bach chorales).

• That last note does assume the grid in question has 16 columns. If not, maybe an a/b switch on the norns hardware could serve everyone else.

• Also, kbob’s idea of mimicking Shepard tones as part of his voice leading implementation is sort of brilliant, and probably worth borrowing.

first demo of QUENCE: a probabilistic 4-track MIDI sequencer for Norns and Grid written in Lua

inspired by Turing Machine, Fugue Machine and physical (study #4)

Friends of norns

Free Software is both free as in freedom and free as in all your free time.

too real.

love the idea (especially the voice leading aspect, which i have been thinking about a lot for something else). thanks for the links

this is an old meme, but:

Evolution is a team sport.