Approaching: norns

norns

yeah it’s very much possible. I need to get my upcoming plugin out ASAP and I’m not letting myself get distracted by a norns until that happens. But I can’t wait to use one with the Soundplane.

Right now I’m refactoring the soundplanelib source so that it will be easier to get going with the low-level code (apart from the GUI app) on a new platform. When this is done I can announce it here and I’m happy to answer questions about it.

Thanks for the quick reply - perfect! First, I’ll look forward Sumu - and then - patiently await any additional news.

Ive got a project which is based off the soundplane source code, that is reduced down to the basics, and uses the latest tracker , and also fixes a couple of bugs I found along the way :wink:

its works great on beaglebone black, including Bela and Salt (eurorack), and works on one of my raspberry PI 3, but not the other (which unfortunately is the norns clone) … this is likely down to the kernel version, as it has been in the past.

so norns is a bit of a question mark, but I’ll check out the PI issue in a bit more detail, when I re-test the Organelle and Asus Tinkerboard.

once I’ve completed this testing, I plan to submit a PR back to the madrone lab repo for the libusb changes required.

as for integrating into matron, thats not that difficult… depending upon how deep you want to go :slight_smile:

I started looking at CM3+'s and caught myself thinking I’m really only looking for more storage which would be better handled by a thumb drive, bandwidth permitting. Does anyone know the feasibility of external storage being an option in future?

my unsubstantiated hunch is that the internal eMMC will be a superior option, given it adds no USB bandwidth and the fact that no UI for in-menu usb drive nav is present (yet).

This is probably standard practice to most, but here’s a quick time saver for accessing norns via your terminal, by creating an alias (shortcut) to ssh we@123.456.7.89

add:
alias norns='ssh we@123.456.7.89'

to your ~/.bashrc file (located in your home folder).

Then typing norns into the terminal should connect :beers:

Just completed my first Norns project, a midi generative sequencer. I ported an old program of mine from Max 4 Live. It took a fraction of the time to complete in Norns and quickly surpassed the M4L version in functionality. It plays well with my Eurorack rig or midi synthesizers.

It’s no hyperbole to say that Norns is a revolution in my musical workflow. Finally, I feel I can quickly code my own custom generative instruments or really any idea that comes to mind. The minimal UI forces me to focus on what is most important.

My sincere thanks to @tehn and everyone who is contributing to the platform. This is the most amazing device I never knew I needed.

Lets see it :slight_smile:

20 characters of ditto

Yep, I’ll post a video when I have a chance