Approaching: norns

No photoshop here. It’s just a basic image viewer i wrote to check the display capabilities. Turns out that the display can do much more than text :slight_smile: The pic is a screenshot from an old DOS game called Electro Man, which is now freeware (CC-BY-SA).

Holy cow. That’s wild

Love it. As excited to see what people do with the screen as with the sc part of norns.

please can we play games on norns? Does it support Xbox controllers? :smiley:

For everybody else, who is interested in discussing UI/UX related matters (@andrew @glia @jasonw22) , please do so here:

and also

I’m guessing yes but would it be possible to have norns act as a dual custom audio processor?
So having like 2 completelly different sound processing algorithms running at the same time, one processes the audio going in input 1 and outputs it off output 1, the other proesses the audio going in input 2 and outputs out output 2.

edit: and having some sort of grid page based control over both.

All good now, I understand its potential now, Im quite excited for this.

I don’t know why that shouldn’t be possible.

:slightly_smiling_face:

not quite xbox, but close!

20 characters of Indeed!

I can’t believe the first video game example on a wee Linux box wasn’t Doom. :wink:

So what’s the DSP-alike power this thing has? Depending on the ARM SoC used they do come with some dsp capabilities. From what I understand, there will be no way to custom target these possibilities using super collider. This looks super interesting to me… just curious if it could replace my aleph craving for simpler/lighter dsp tasks.

From the specs it says it works with HID stuff, so an Xbox 360 controller should work just fine. Late last year I bought an Xbox One controller, the most recent of which work on Macs without needing a wireless dongle, and it’s pretty nice. Slightly different feel and layout than my trusty 360 controller (what I built Cut Glove around), but the fact that it’s wireless natively is quite attractive.

One of the thing I’m wondering is if that will work with the norns, since I think it’s just HID-over-wifi, as it works sans driver. Having to plug in a 360 controller isn’t the end of the world though.

Awesome! Thanks so much, can’t wait to play with this :stuck_out_tongue: (absolutely worth it!)

What about the PS4 controller? It’s got that very nice touch surface… wonder if that is addressed via HID…

Easy enough to check in Max if you have it. (create an [hi] object and see if it shows up in there). Most gamepads, as far as I know, are all HID compliant, in order to work across the OSs without drivers and such.

A shame is that the [hi] object, in Max anyways, is unidirectional, so there’s no access to vibration/haptics and/or LEDs on the controller itself, which would be super fucking useful.

that would be oh so amazing to get bidirectional communication!

Totally.

I don’t actually know anything about HID on linux and/or SC, but I wonder if it’s bidirectional.

(I looked into getting a custom bi-directional HID solution for Max going a few years ago, but it never really materialized)

Absolutely it’s possible. I remember messing around with LOVE2D when i was dabbling with Lua last year, and built a game that had haptic feedback. This was on a Debian system with nothing fancy, so assuming it’s just standard HID.

HID in SuperCollider is bidirectional - you should be able to set the value of any element that’s exposed as one that can receive input. I haven’t tried it with a ton of devices, but I was recently able to pick up all the data streams from a multitouch monitor pretty effortlessly - in terms of bidirectional, the most I’ve been able to do is make an LED blink, but I don’t have much to test with.