Approaching: norns

or in-house: Orac : open source instrument thing ;)

just had a thought… imagine a patch system a la orac which adresses this:
https://llllllll.co/t/composition-of-control-instrument-design/

compose building blocks to quickly build monome (or non monome) logic on-the-fly (and on device, with much more screen real estate). no idea how well this would work but it’s fun to think about.

I think both projects have already enough to explore without cross potential. but holy moly, exciting times!

oops

didn’t realize the whole category where he posted that was on mute

no worries, was meant to be supplementary

I’m glad to have a reminder

thanks!

norms 256 support would be awesome

woke up to a github notification that @zebra added a vocoder…

Xenakis had some musical composition/conductor games too FWIW

We are all one day closer to dagur nornanna.

I’m preparing myself for when The First One Hundred receive their inaugural devices and this thread goes extra-bonkers.

Waiting patiently for second batch…

+1 on the idea of Norns as DJ box.
Trying to imagine what this would look like.

some basic feature requests off the top of my head (at work now):
would be fun to be able to cue up waveforms on display,
using on-board knob/arc/midi to scrub through tracks,
tracks assignable to either 1/4" output/ cue to headphone out,
auto-bpm analysis with speed-adjust linked to BPM,

Maybe once the dev libraries are posted and the units are shipping and everyone’s hacking away, it would make sense to start some project discussions in #development

This is my first “Monome drop” moment. Do boutique shops commonly get orders in? There’s this place called Robotspeak in SF that seems like a place that would have some of the first run units. Or do we just wait until there are more on the ecomm site?

Norns is only going to be sold direct from monome.

Well yeah but what’s stopping a boutique guy from picking up 5 or 10?

The lack of margins to make $$$

Margins are kinda irrelevant for a run of 300, right? I’m only interested in acess to cool instruments. It seems like money isn’t the barrier here.

I’m not sure I understand your point.

any boutique shop has little reason to sell norns for zero profit.

so long as batches of norns are selling within a few hours, there’s not a lot of reason for monome to to take less margin to sell them to boutique shops.

One possible reason is maintaining relationships with stores that sell a lot of grids or Monome modules. (And honestly, if I were a betting man, I think once the third-party code is really flowing, there will be enough interest in nornses that a little bit of retail will start to make sense.)

[I hasten to add that I have no inside knowledge and am just blowing some no( r )nsense]