Approaching: norns

norns

That’s the ‘Awake’ app.

“shadow band” is an artifact of the OLED screen. we’ve been meaning to try tweaking the OLED driver and see if the manufacturer has any tips (this is a very common issue with screens)

yes. it’s the initial app that loads when you power on.
so immediate and wonderful. now i want 4 tracks.

I see the “shadow bands” on my Elektron Octatrack MkII’s and A4 MkII’s OLED screens as well.

not sure if it is relevant to these screens but my day job is at a post production facility that deals with color correction and we have to calibrate our OLEDS pretty carefully. to do so we have to do burn-ins on all our screens as well as some pretty manufacturer specific calibration procedures. maybe the manufacturer has a calibration tool or procedure?

Great! What about output and input levels, monitoring, headphone gain, compressor parameters?

Thanks – hopefully it will not be so complicated that it’ll make a Lua newbie’s (=myself) head implode.

all are easily controllable from lua scripts. (exception is headphone gain, not exposed in same way - you probably don’t really want to automate that.)

[ed] ok, to be more specific : input gain and headphone gain are hardware properties controlled by software. output level, monitor level, monitor channel routing are pure software. effect properties are software. each of these categories are controlled by different lua modules; scripts can access all of them if desired.

Why not? I want to
(a) pre-listen to stuff via headphone with norns’s main output silenced
(b) be able to quickly turn down headphone volume when things get too loud
For this I need to be able to have separate level controls for main out and headphone that I can easily map to 2 pots/sliders of a connnected USB controller like, no?

Would that not be so much automation as much as a separate control for those functions?

you can’t do that. as i said above:

i’ll put it another way. the main output level is implemented in software. the headphone output level is implemented in hardware, controlled by software, and necessarily comes after the main level.

input gain is similarly a hardware property.

anyways, there is actually nothing stopping you from changing the headphone gain or input gain from a script.

sure, ok. anyways you can do it if you want.

Mine was a response to wolfgangschaltung

The norns connection…

as @artfwo and @zebra said, many of the parameters are easily accessible. for example, here’s an alternative interface for params i’ve been playing with. (notice the crude automation.)

needless to say, pardon the crappy video but you get the idea.

amazing how doable all of this is out of the box. :sunny:

OK, got it. I was assuming that norns has one D/A converter, whose analog output signal feds the main out, and the headphone out, and both main out and headphone have independent analog amplification/level control.

@ppqq whoa what are you up to??

Wow, I am happy to see a grayscale.
Are they working out of the box?
64 too?

yeah!! i have a grayscale 128 / 64. both work right out the box.

:smile:

well, since you asked…

it started w/ earthsea. my favorite way to play it is to have one hand riding params but i found them a bit awkward to access via the system menu. that led to a riff on 16sliders to surface params “in-app”. i’ve always loved knob recorders and you already had the pattern abstraction so automation was a fun hack.

good times!

:sunny:

I’m joining with 20 characters

That looks great!

I was going to comment on the interface designs in various apps (still not sure if I like referring to these as “apps”…) or lack of it in some. But am not sure where things stand in general, except for the fact that all of it is a kind of rough foundation… so perhaps not exactly “polished” at the moment.

Having said that, my favorite interface treatments so far in the norns are:
AWAKE, and ER. Where there is a simple, minimal elegance about the display. These are beautiful, and still useful, and focused on information and usability.

The ones that perhaps could use a bit more love at the moment are FLIN and EARTHSEA. FLIN, I feel can go a few different directions, though simply redrawing the visuals in a more minimal fashion (in keeping with the esthetic of the AWAKE or ER) would make it super nice. EARTHSEA… I am pretty sure is a kind of place-holder, but the display can offer all sorts of information about what is happening sonically and structurally.

Anyway: so amazing to see all the potential ahead!

Grateful for this new platform and all work extended to date!