Arc approach

I was thinking the same thing, the Arc “might” draw less power than a grid… but i’ve never got one so it’s pure speculation (or wishful thinking).

if a fully lit grid can pull ~600ma…an arc with all rings at full brightness might be similar, right?

curious to know whether i’m wrong

these are efficiently revamped circuits so the figure might be even less than that.

Yes, you are so right - it’s just that I am so curious about it…:upside_down:

1 Like

Oh, I’m an idiot.,. an arc4 has even double the leds than a 128…

1 Like

yeah I was wondering about that too, I have no idea if the leds and circuitry draw the same for both devices

i’ll be designing the firmwares so that max current draw won’t ever happen-- there’s really no reason to full-bright the entire arc (or the grid) ever. that’s just silly.

i’m also changing the power to a 10-pin. this will create its own 5v off your 12v rail. you’re free to use an ext5v if you want, still, to lighten the 12v load. but it shouldn’t be bad.

the most important thing regarding power in addition to capacity, is a star grounding pattern. if you have something like flying bus cables or bus boards that just have strips of copper in a line, you may some day have trouble with noise. euro needs good power supplies, and there are more and more good ones becoming available. isms is top notch. so is intellijel’s new one. i haven’t done further research on the market, but i’m certain muffs have dense opinionated thread on this, and it might be worth starting one here, if someone here has done a broad survey.

so yes, i’m a big fan of direct-plugging USB into the module rather than going through Switch. there’s a nice feeling to the direct connect.

ps. part of the reason for switching to 10pin is we can more easily avoid accidental damage to our modules. this is a good move.

5 Likes

this surprises me. can you really rule out all the possible things that folks might do with these devices? it seems like it’s closing off an open-ended design. in particular, some of the visual apps i’ve seen that are designed to display patterns, without doing anything related to audio, light up all the LEDs.

if nothing else, for testing and diagnostic purposes, i would think it’s useful to set all LEDs to arbitrary brightness values, including max.

1 Like

You know what would be tight is gesture recording.

i’m not ruling it out, and agreed i was being overly dismissive. you can always do whatever you want with these devices! what i meant was that in the applications i design, i absolutely try to strike a balance of how much light is coming out-- partially because of power draw, but also because the newest devices can simply be blindingly bright. testing the arc requires me to look at it sideways!

so yes, fear not, i will not arbitrarily hinder the capabilities of these. but it’s good for people to know that lots of lights means lots of power draw.

5 Likes

yeah, i think having all leds on is something that wouldn’t be unusual to happen on arc if it’s used as a simple controller app where the ring is used to display the current value, for instance.

been thinking that one way to get around not being able to plug a grid and an arc at the same time could be by using arc plugged into teletype as been suggested already. this would probably require a new script that gets triggered whenever an encoder is moved, and 4 new variables for delta. then you could use arc/teletype to change patterns on WW etc.

1 Like

[quote=“tehn, post:18, topic:3168, full:true”]@polyoptics must spread out the surprises hey!!
[/quote]

How about spreading some more teasing surprises?

Mid june is near…

:santa:

4 Likes

After the last newsletter I was hoping there would be some more teasers, but I guess the newsletter (pics) were the teaser.

Balls…

1 Like

Oh, so there’s a newsletter? I would be interested in those pics…

It’s worth getting on the newsletter. It’s just a once-a-month thing. Here’s the pic from the most recent newsletter.

circles — we’ve been making a lot of round objects out of brass, aluminum, glass, mylar, paper, acrylic: by cutting, milling, lasering, waterjetting, printing, visualizing. perfecting a mechanical object requires patience and sometimes unreasonable optimism that something could (hence should) be better. soon there will be an instrument.

5 Likes

Thank you for the beautiful and encouraging picture!

Eventually I found the button an subscribed - I automatically uncheck all newsletter boxes that come across as they mostly just link to some site to sell me fancy polo shirts or ableton plugins…but fancy circles are great.:heart_eyes:

newsletter subscription at the bottom of http://monome.org

update!

i thought i learned my lesson, about announcing ship dates. producing a eurorack module is a incredibly predictable endeavor. designing weird mechanical devices is hilariously less predictable.

the good news is that the prototype components after a few tuning rounds feel great. by tuning i mean change dimensions by 0.001" at a time. the mechanics underwent a substantial change after a sudden electronic redesign-- i’ve switched from magnetic detection back to optical.

so, mid june was mistakenly optimistic-- my aim is to perfect this device, and not redesign it again.

i’ll announce a ship date when i have component completion promises. in the meantime, i’ll be able to share developments soon. perhaps some details about the eurorack module and new applications.

22 Likes

Can’t wait!
Even though I’m not a big euro guy, I’m really looking forward to seeing what the interface will be, as the euro monome mappings are all really slick and creative.

4 Likes

Checking here every few hours for the exciting post that will reveal the functionality of the module.

3 Likes

By “soon” I don’t think tehn means today… but I am with you brother! :slight_smile:

1 Like