— arcologies — share with norns.online

floored

the depth of this endeavor is staggering but still seems inviting enough to jump in and play!

4 Likes

sunn 0))) was supposed to play live in arcosanti last year (2019) but sadly not enough people bought tickets to the event. it would have been an amazing experience, still bummed it didn’t happened. still got to see them play live with David Pajo (also mind blowing live) in Phoenix, but I’m sure it would have been an entirely different experience…

2 Likes

signals are like photons - a universal constant. signals move.

cells are stationary. cells either generate signals, process signals, or play signals.

all cells have one structure. the three fundamental structures are hives, shrines, & gates.

24 Likes

next up: a video on the three remaining “generators” - raves, domes, and mazes.

behind the scenes of some of the code:

-- does this cell need to do anything to boot up this beat?
function Cell:setup()
      if self:is("RAVE") and self:is_spawning() then self:drugs()
  elseif self:is("DOME") then self:set_er()
  elseif self:is("MAZE") then self:set_turing()
  elseif self:is("SOLARIUM") then self:compare_capacity_and_charge()
  end
end

EDIT: i made the video yesterday and was gonna post it today but youtube flagged it for copyright violations because of my background music (burial…) i may or may not remake. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

awesome. can’t wait to use this thing

2 Likes

i’m stream some of my quality assurance work tonight. it’ll mostly be coding, debugging, trying to break things. it’ll be a casual “working session” thing. come hang out! i’ll start somewhere around 23:00 utc (18:00 cst).

3 Likes

this is amazing, cant wait to use it.

2 Likes

quality assurance stream engage

3 Likes

thanks to all who came to the stream!

new vid:

docs & beta download:

14 Likes

Really loving this script, completely next level! So many nice interface details. I’m also so intrigued by the idea of analysis of what the script itself is doing, and having multiple visualizations of script state.

Do you think it would be possible to keep the clock running while a grid is disconnected, so that the grid could be used with something else? At certain points in an arcology’s development I feel I’m more concerned with the data than with its structure.

4 Likes

This looks incredible. Clearly a work of intense labour and love.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I can’t wait to dive in.

1 Like

ahh yeah, this is a totally valid use-case that i didn’t consider. i’ll build this affordance today.

EDIT: done and pushed.

i knew it would be zero fun to individually select each cell to find out what it was after randomly seeding. so this feature started as fast way to get the lay of the land. then i started adding more doohickies in… also early in the development any time you created/selected a cell you were snapped to the cell designer page (page 2). it felt like a good workflow but then after working on the analysis page i wanted to be able to select cells and move between the screens.

the analysis screen is how you engage in a dialog with your arcology. it has taught me things.

thank youuu. i really look up to you and respect your work so this means a shit load to me.

you’re so welcome. i’m so thankful to have a community to share it with.

5 Likes

holy crap I am still not totally clear on what this is, but I am very excited to find out

1 Like

lots of vids in the playlist up above that start going into detail!

maiden

HAPPY SATURDAY! HAPPY CREATING!

5 Likes

That little Northern Information intro bumper on the script and the videos is ticking all my 90’s Nintendo kid boxes.

6 Likes

Can we have a lines contest to design a sound logo akin to Konami or Capcom for this script?

2 Likes

i would be all for it but…doesn’t it already have one?
at least in the videos
and i quite like the sonic logo

1 Like

I actually don’t remember if it had it on script boot! I always end up having my norns booted before I launch my DAW, now that I think about it.

@tyleretters absolutely incredible. the beauty and the music of your creation is a whole art-form itself. looking forward to your livestream and everything about this.

2 Likes