— arcologies —

Well, right now like I said it’s a very simple POC - didn’t bother with figuring out how to make it operable etc, installed node (even though it’s not my favorite i knew how to write the socket server quickest there)

This is it: https://gist.github.com/thedaniel/b9457bd745638522a5f1b6af34a15a84

so, write to a temp file every 4 generations, and run a server that watches that file for changes and streams the contents to a websocket

1 Like

I was also thinking a nice enhancement for the mapper would be hover states that show the name and description of the cell

1 Like

v1.1.14

arcologies-1601421615

life is too damn short.

10 Likes

Haha awesome!!! Nice :+1:

1 Like

Yes! Definitely looking forward to giving this a try.

1 Like

@tyleretters
ran into a bug…
norns one is running fine.
norns three is not allowing me to add a structure:
from maiden…

Summary

?

lua:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:80: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:80: in field ‘key’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:196: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:187>
lua: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:82: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:82: in field ‘key’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:196: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:187>
lua: /home/we/norns/lua/core/clock.lua:82: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:155: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘error’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/clock.lua:82: in function ‘core/clock.resume’
lua: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:80: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:82: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:80: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:82: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
/home/we/norns/lua/core/clock.lua:82: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:155: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua: /home/we/norns/lua/core/clock.lua:82: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:155: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:82: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
stack traceback:
lua: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:80: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
/home/we/norns/lua/core/clock.lua:82: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/g.lua:155: attempt to index a nil value (field ‘?’)
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:

were you doing any grid swapping? were you using a monome grid or something else?

No issues so far running clock sync at 0.25. Thanks for implementing this!

3 Likes

no grid swap.
using my primary rig of Monome factory gear.

just launched arcologies and setup Ext MIDI sync.
then started to try to place structures.

after another restart from sleep it ran fine for last night’s session.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@SPIKE ok, let’s keep an eye on it. i can’t figure out what happened.

@gimber this is beautiful

2 Likes

the music hackspace workshop is coming up next weekend! this is billed as an “intermediate” level meaning you should have made some music with arcologies before. but if you consider yourself more on the “advanced” side (which i know a lot of you are!) i will have some challenges for you as well.

here’s a video:

and i have a 25% off discount code for the first person that dm’s me about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Possible bug: setting a Maze metabolism to 0 seems to freeze all photons. The UI still works, but no photons move until after arcologies is reloaded from the select menu.

1 Like

confirmed. good find. i’ll have this fixed in v1.1.15.

1 Like

allllll right! since I have a 14 day quarantine ahead of me I’ve decided to spend some serious time learning some of the many new additions that have been implemented over the past few weeks.

I have a question in regards to midi out when Im using a couple different ins and outs. here is my current setup.

—Im clocking arcologies via Ableton and no aproblem here. (its port 1 on the Norns) All A-OK
I have my grid on port 3. Solid as a rock. no problems

I have my opz on port 2. it is receiving midi and reading the correct BPM. The only thing that is missing is a reset that matches Ableton on the opz. can arcologies receive a clock on port 1 and send a mirrored reset to a different port?

v1.1.15

• NEW Add fringes territory: the cells immediately adjacent.
  • NEW Territories illuminate on the grid. This is very satisfying.
  • FIX Mazes with a metabolism of zero no longer cause a freeze.

@MatthewAshmore may arcologies bring you peace in your quarantine days. do send maps of the lands you discover.

i don’t think norns supports resets like this? i’m not quite sure what a “reset” is. is it toggling start stop? EDIT: are you using ableton link?

@dan_derks do you know? looks like link resets aren’t supported:

5 Likes

Maybe reset wasn’t the right verbage there. A clock start and stop output from norns via arcologies was what I was referring to. Nonetheless it’s allll good!

@tyleretters , Would it be possible to extend topiary to include the MI-ENGS supercollider implementations? Maybe have one parameter extra that points to a saved preset for the Braids, Rings, Elements, and Plaits? These sound so beautiful - if arcologies had access to them I might never leave the house again. This would be similar to dronecaster in that it wouldn’t ideally add complexity to arcologies - it would just send note values and gates via OSC to the supercollider synths. All the complexity comes in setting up and saving presets, and that’s external to the arcologies workflow.

1 Like

sure! dream with me a bit. what are MI-ENGS? i googled it but didn’t come up with any results.

1 Like
5 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

i will turn my attention to this :point_up_2: as soon as i’m done with this :point_down:

15 Likes