Art (,the thread about)

not generally a fan of photorealistic figural painting but kehinde wiley intrigues me…I love the series he’s done for the past few years (reframing contemporary subjects)

an exhibit that I am seriously excited about

http://hirshhorn.si.edu/collection/yayoi-kusama-infinity-mirrors/#collection=yayoi-kusama-infinity-mirrors
never seen her work in real life

I’m sad I missed that exhibit at Seattle Art Museum when I was in town at the same time last year. Beautiful work.

Lieu Nguyen - modern pointillist!

A show I curated is just about to open at the Toronto International Film Festival. It’s an exhibition of new media art exploring creativity and play with machines aimed at kids. If anybody’s in Toronto between now and April 23 and wants a tour just let me know.

http://www.tiff.net/digiplayspace-2017/

This looks great!

If I was in Toronto, I would take my son in a heartbeat!

Great job.

Funny, my direct employer is an official partner.

Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot (1796-1875)

French landscape and portrait painter as well as a printmaker in etching.

Anila Quayyum Agha (2014)

Anila Quayyum Agha was born in Lahore, Pakistan. She has an MFA in Fiber Arts from the University of North Texas. Agha’s work has been exhibited in over seventeen solo shows and fifty group shows and has won numerous awards and grants. Most recently, Agha won the two top prizes at ArtPrize 2014, in the international art competition held in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Her entry, titled “Intersections”, earned the ArtPrize 2014 Public Vote Grand Prize and split the Juried Grand Prize in a tie.

Agha works in a cross disciplinary fashion with mixed media; creating artwork that explores global politics, cultural multiplicity, mass media, and social and gender roles in our current cultural and global scenario. As a result her artwork is conceptually challenging, producing complicated weaves of thought, artistic action and social experience.

Homepage

Painting made by my :heart: Lena Isaksson

“Sally Mann (1951-) is one of America’s most renowned photographers. She has received numerous awards, including NEA, NEH, and Guggenheim Foundation grants, and her work is held by major institutions internationally. Her many books include At Twelve (1988), Immediate Family (1992), Still Time (1994), What Remains (2003), Deep South (2005), Proud Flesh (2009), The Flesh and the Spirit (2010) and Remembered Light (2016). In 2001 Mann was named “America’s Best Photographer” by Time magazine. A 1994 documentary about her work, Blood Ties, was nominated for an Academy Award and the 2006 feature film What Remains was nominated for an Emmy Award in 2008. Her bestselling memoir, Hold Still (Little, Brown, 2015), received universal critical acclaim, and was named a finalist for the National Book Award. In 2016 Hold Still won the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Nonfiction. Mann is represented by Gagosian Gallery, New York. She lives in Virginia.”

Homepage

Really excellent 2015 NYTimes profile

I feel fortunate to have stumbled on this treasure and have completely fallen for Amrita Sher Gil

especially her focused and powerful work after returning to india in 1935

Not a thing I made, but:

Richard Mosse’s Incoming at the Barbican, London.

I previously adored his The Enclave, a six channel documentary film shot on IR stock about the war in the Congo.

So I was ready for this to be good, but not quite as staggering as it ended up being.

It’s a three-channel film, 52 minutes, with sound. It’s shot entirely on a military IR camera, meaning: a lot of it is at huge telephoto focal range; a lot of it is shot in pitch blackness (though some of it is shot in daylight). Despite that limitation, it is sometimes shot handheld. And it’s about… the modern refugee experience, I guess; footage ranges from A10’s strafing Syria, an autopsy of someone who died on a boat crossing, through to embedded work with Italian customs offiicals as people arrive off boats, through footage in refugee camps, up to the burning of the Calais Jungle. There are no captions, voiceover; you have to piece together facts retroactively.

IR removes everybody’s eyes; it makes everybody’s skin dark, regardless of real colouring; it makes bloody handprints and wet handprints indistinguishable; it makes everything look like war. F/A 18’s launch from a carrier; minutes later, we see newly arrived refugees in Italy. Everything is linked by context.

It’s remarkable, borderline-unbearable in places; superb sound-design - mainly diegetic, with a little processing - from Ben Frost. If you’re passing through London, you must go; it’s free.

Came across this and I love the simplicity of it (and the sass of course):

(edit: while I’m at it, a few other, less recent, but still amazing videos):

https://vimeo.com/134357813

Was moved today by Susan Philipsz’s War Damaged Musical Instruments at Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin.

What a great project!

i found this instrument today.

That’s amazing!

I wonder if at some point in the future we’ll have networked modulation sources. As in, a module (soft or hard) that allows you to tap in to phenomenon like this in real time, and not just a sample of that kind of data, but real-time, so you can sync things to it.

Just put this new audio-visual piece out!

(sorry for the late reply)

I am completely in love with this artist and his work FOR THAT EXACT REASON that his watercolors are so crisp yet so fluid within the confines he sets for them. An otherworldly talent.

If you visit his webpage for the series (http://mateuszurbanowicz.com/tokyo-storefront-illustration-series) you can see “the making of” videos which may just make your eyes jump out of your head.

I’ll be slowly acquiring prints of this series to populate my office. So good.

maybe these go here, digital art shows

plz flip 'em to your clique :slight_smile: