Art (,the thread about)

cropped stills from new work (for @bugaev_)

behind the smoke + mirrors

by @kelli_cain

Keep your eye on the ball and you won’t get dizzy :slight_smile:

@glia @Rodrigo Thanks. I discovered recently this: https://github.com/tsulej/GenerateMe

What i posted are my experiments with photos being manipulated by the processing scripts above. Then some more editing in photoshop.

Not my artwork, but the algorithms are open source.

A few photos from a while back. Rust.

A couple more. Blue.

Love it. I’ve got to start trying some less “realistic” processing.

i’ve been heavily influenced by various weavers and ceramic artists i found thru IG
(one of whom is kayla mattes)

she’s amazing

“dupe” 2016 . dc

A lil’ self portrait

“xylo”

an image from a project i started to do about my home town.
back onto photography after a longer hiatus and loving it.

“sabiduria”

“stabile”

Maybe you’ve all seen it before(an oldie of mine), but just uploading for posterity, I call it ‘The Spindle Galaxy’:

<-hehe, signed sealed delivered :wink:

@jasonw22

thanks for sharing these works…

I’ve long thought a thread along the lines of [ grid / modular inspired visual art ] would be cool.
pattern and repetition… according to a crew schools of thought, thats all we are apparently // pattern recognition machines…. -though I tend to think theres a bit more to it… -just depends on your perspective I guess… patterns are deep.

when you say lost the source… is it something you conjured in processing or similar ? -from initial free hand or can programs subtly alter grow evolve the patterns while keeping the lines connected. same essential pattern with the focus drifting to describe different aspects… -the lattice for entropy / emergent complexity…

those tessellating forms are priceless…
is it something you conjured in processing or similar ? -from initial free hand or can the code subtly alter / grow / evolve the patterns while keeping the lines connected… ? wow. its like same essential pattern only with the focus drifting on to describe different aspects… -looks like a woven net for catching / separating out entropy from emergent complexity…
though good luck with that ; ]

I’m sure it’s been said before only I think its strange ( or not ) how the islamic tradition of non-representation in art in turn creates work that represents the natural world in some deeply profound / resonant way …a view of “ nature “ not found so much in the european tomes on plants / animals. ( though maybe in sacred sites / music ) is it just that the european / germanic traditions have a more reductionist mindset…? cataloguing… noting differences above commonalities etc… doubtful… it’s all cool. I’m sure these musings are nothing new…
-for what its worth, the power of limits is a great illustrated book that covers recurrent patterns in living things.

slitscan experiment

@rodrigo … cool to see a thread on this subject here…

thought I’d dig out a couple to share… a few along the lines of un-planned un-thought un-ravelling…
couple others more thought out… jigsaw narrative grew from old “ sub par “ prints into whatever it is now… a little collection of times and places

couple others touch on themes of re-vision in creative process… and thoughts of pattern both as found untouched in the environment and as imagined overlaid by us travellers…

I think I struggle to talk about " art " without sounding like a complete ding bat. ( at least half the time… ) I say so little then out of nowhere probably write too much, which is half of why I say so little. : / -not that that makes sense. oh well. is it like the ineffable zen thing: more you say the less you “know” -as if to confirm my own theory… grumble grumble rant grumble…

lastly… I’ve always liked / appreciated angela’s artwork… the ‘live” colaborative sound drawing pieces… the etched pedals - ( being a lapsed printmaker ) and also what I’ve seen of her illustration type drawings: always intriguing, quirky… bizarre in a good way…
this " when I talk to myself " … hell yeah, subconscious net casting at it’s coolest.

Just finishd an installation piece yesterday. One of the situations in it is this new configuration of objects from th “Thre Factory Pieces” exhibit last December. In that show I did a massive 2500 sq ft floor piece where I had handwritten text in blackletter on the floor using 400 lb of salt and a spakle knife…

(I posted pictures of that innthe ////pictures//// thread: //// pictures //// and also here: //// pictures //// )

This time I could not cover the whole floor of the gallery with salt, so had t o figure out an alternative method of rendering text/image with loose salt, but smallr quantity. So the initial obstacle became an opportunity to try something new, and I am pretty happy how it turnd out:

I mean that I lost track of who made that particular piece. Only the first piece in that post (with the yellow background) was created by me. I do seem to remember that particular piece was created in processing though.

It’s all based on very simple geometry (just like nature is). The natural world tends to follow some very simple rules. It’s an example of emergent complexity. Or as Rudy Rucker would say it, it is “gnarly”.

Rudy Rucker, "Seek the Gnarl"
http://www.rudyrucker.com/pdf/icfatalk2005.pdf

[quote=“wintercat, post:37, topic:2825”]
I think its strange ( or not ) how the islamic tradition of non-representation in art in turn creates work that represents the natural world in some deeply profound / resonant way
[/quote]this struck me as well

tragic in my opinion, not because of the results (which are beautiful in their own right), but because of the motive

I’d discuss more but this will spill over into theology which would likely bore everybody else or offend someone