Art (,the thread about)

3 Likes

Great stuff. Now feel totally retinafucked. Is the music generative in any way?The ‘zoom out’ structure reminded me of those an-electron-to-the-universe animations scientists types did in the 70’s/80’s. before Chaos was a thing.

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: no the audio for that one is just misc Cementimental recordings, edited on afterwards: the video was originally silent, shown in different orders in 3 screens in an installation

I did experiment with generative stuff with AE’s extremely limited audio FX but it was too crashy, the techniques I used for the visuals are at the limit of what it can deal with since it’s so abominably inefficient with memory

0 Likes

So in digital art/design (not that showcased in the “art world” – but what people are just doing by themselves, independently) – there’s a certain take on the post-vapowave aesthetic that is becoming very dark, but also freeing itself from any 1980’s associations, and picking up very well on the spirit of 2018.

As I kind of miss the goth movement in its early days (joy division, bauhaus etc.) this almost seems like it could take its place.

I wonder if there’s a name for this stuff? Is there enough of it to count as a movement? any blogs? also, a more obvious question: know of any musicians working in this area?

main themes:

• stark/minimal/geometric designs and color schemes, clean and unapologetically digital, always icy and cold
  • disappearance of the human: veiled figures, figures with glitched-out faces, very small figures confronting the “neon sublime”…

Anyway… some artists…

Aeforia (Alexy Prefontaine)

Lightresist

Giacomo Carmagnola

15 Likes

Pusskykrew
Their visual work definitely qualifies as part of this category. Their music must come out of those same ideas as they have a very considered aesthetic.

3 Likes

Yep, thanks!

xenogothic blog touches also on these general ideas… (thanks simon reynolds!)

also… Vanta

2 Likes

“Every Walk With Nature”

• Four channel audio installation with grow lights.

• Audio taken from the top five search results for “nature sounds” on YouTube.

3 Likes

the dutch art platform I founded and curate celebrates a “throwback week” this week. 51 different artists did a takeover this year! I made a little compilation video for instagram:

1 Like

https://monoskop.org/Software_(exhibition)

4 Likes

Reminiscing Seattle circa 1990’s - now

gorgeous works. The Green Cat Cafe, such a great place to eat food and meet people.

0 Likes

i have been wanting to share my work on lines for some time but never came across this thread!

i have been working in several different mediums for a few years now, just recently finding comfort in sticking to sound and drawing (sometimes painting)

my work deals with ephemerality of materials (both sound and drawing), man-made structures, and harvesting field recordings and shapes from the world

zander-raymond.com

3 Likes

3.23 is quite cool!
Are you displaying some of these in ziplock bags? I don’t think I’ve seen drawings displayed like that before. That’s also pretty cool.
Thanks for sharing on here!

0 Likes

thank you!
yes — i have been working with making drawings and bagging them in found plastic bags, through this, i am dealing with the concept of the drawings as documents that need to be preserved. challenging the viewer to recontexulize what is worthy of this form of preservation.

1 Like

I just recently got a set of markers that I have been having a lot of fun with. Does anyone else do marker stuff? I’m a novice and have been enjoying learning some of the blending and texture techniques.

Here’s some clouds:

Inspired by rob moss wilson who does really awesome clouds:

7 Likes

digital mail art
'from my phone to yours
peace from california

3 Likes

Another one I finished, this time it’s rain:

17 Likes

Finished a short video document about me latest installation:

6 Likes

20 characters of “Tight!”