Arturia Synclavier V

The sound I was able to get out of this thing in the first hour of playing it is just mind boggling. It’s going to take me a while to wrap my brain around it.

From the manual:

The Partial Timbre Method of Sound Design was first described in US Patent 4,554,855. The intent of the Partial Timbre Method is to be able to design new complex musical sounds by easily creating and modifying acoustically identifiable subcomponents of the sound. The original Synclavier Digital Synthesizer used a custom button panel that gave the operator control over the soloing and design of each component when a note was performed; each subcomponent was referred to as a “Partial Timbre”.

This Synclavier V instrument implementation expands the number of Partial Timbres to 12, from the original total of 4 Partial Timbres.

Each Partial of Synclavier V has a 24-harmonic carrier waveform with phase control for each harmonic. These harmonics in any combination, create a waveform that can be played and also viewed graphically. In addition, there is a 24-harmonic modulator waveform, FM (frequency modulation), which can modulate this carrier waveform. The FM modulator waveform can be a single sinusoidal (sine) wave, sawtooth wave, square wave, triangle wave, or any 24 harmonic waveform of your own design.

Now, imagine chaining up to 50 of these waveforms together to form a constantly evolving timbre. These Timbre Slices (the original Synclavier called them Timbre Frames) can have varying time lengths, crossfade times, and pitch and volumes. Just think about the infinite possibilities of 12 different continuously varying waveforms sounding at the same time! Add in some stereo placement and you’ll have a huge soundscape.

1 Like

Tempted. I did have a “real” synclavier a few years back. Sounded amazing but couldn’t deal with the size/weight/volume of the original.

1 Like

The creation of this digital instrument was in collaboration with Synclavier Digital and involved sharing of original source code. So, for all intents and purposes this is a “real” Synclavier (in a potentially very lightweight package!)

Very interesting. I know I wouldn’t mind the smaller footprint!