Awake

awake + prophet 12

9 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTiGml_ps0v/?utm_medium=copy_link

Norns shield sequencing Organelle via midi thru with Arturia Keystep 37.

3 Likes

All, a norns newbie here. I am using Awake as my test bed to be sure that I understand most of the basics. Today I have crashed into something that should be a basic issue, hope you can help.

Using MIDI through a Roland UM-ONE Mk2, I am successfully sending notes to, and receiving clock from, a Roland MC-707 (not bad!) However, I can’t get the norns to listen to control change MIDI messages. It just plays and ignores them.

To be sure that the MC-707 is setup correctly, I’ve also hooked it up with a Minilogue XD, so that I could see that the control messages are received and obeyed correctly, and they are: they stop and start the sequencer there.

I’ve searched in the norns’ parameters page if there is something like “enable receive transport” (that’s what it’s called on the Korg) but found nothing. I’ve looked in Awake’s source code, and it seems to be managing start and stop MIDI messages… so my guess is that the norns OS is not handing over those messages to the script.

Any ideas?

Btw how do I just start or stop Awake manually? :confused:Thanks!

you’ll need to map the cc numbers to parameters in the norns script. navigate to the paramter menu and select MAP to get started :slight_smile:

more info here, control + clock | monome/docs, under the MAP section.

not totally sure, but it looks like you can start/stop via midi transport commands.

from awake.lua:

@Justmat thanks but there is something we’re both missing.

I’ve searched in the map parameters and found nothing that seem to refer to transport. There’s a clock section with

• clock_source and clock_tempo that are working fine already, so I do not need to change anything, and
  • clock_reset that does nothing :confused:

Also at the web page you refer to does not explain how to get transport from an external device.

Is any norns script acting as a simple MIDI monitor, even just to check that I am receiving it correctly?

Thanks!

G.

There is a midi monitor script that might help?

2 Likes

Thanks @JoseQuervo I now have quite an unambiguous confirmation that the start and stop messages are coming into the norns, together with the clock that I knew already :grinning:

IMG_5779

Now, the challenge is, why would such explicit code in awake.lua - such as the lines highlighted by @Justmat earlier - do nothing! :thinking:

[SOLVED]
The awake.lua script that came with the norns distribution is not the one that is online on GitHub! They are both marked as version 2.4.0, but the online one has about 60 extra lines of code, including the start / stop management! Of course I was going crazy!

Thanks to all who helped. I will warn @tehn with pull request.

6 Likes

which section of the params menu can I find the tap tempo please? :blush:

I’ve tried awake with jf through crow+ii yesterday. It works like a charm, but I can’t seem to find a way to put jf back in normal mode after I am done playing with it with awake.

Is there some option that I’ve missed or do I need to modify .lua to send ii.jf.mode(0) somehow?

Very new to Norns and even newer to Mannequins gear. How do I use Awake with Crow and Just Friends? I’m sure this is a ridiculously basic question but I’ve been searching through the documentation and its all very dense and spread out.

I’m assuming I need to connect the i2c ports on the back? Since “There is no standard “i2c cable” (according to this guide) I’m wondering if I can do this with a 6pin ribbon cable I happen to have laying around. Red stripe down?

I’ll be honest I am unexpectedly overwhelmed by this but the lines community has been great so far so here’s hoping you guys can help me out. Thanks.

hi hi! hope all’s well :slight_smile:

connecting the pins

monome recommends grabbing a stash of these jumper wires – that’s what we use in the workshop, totally good cheap solution.

we’re working on surfacing i2c docs wherever folks might look, but for now i’ll highlight @mattallison’s fantastic recent contributions in the ansible docs: i2c / ii | monome/docs

in the script

first, connect your crow to norns via USB.

if you’re running awake version 2.4.1 (it’ll display this in the script info when you go to load it), then there’s an output section in the parameters – press K3 to enter it. toggle the output parameter to crow ii jf and the script will send its notes to just friends via crow :slight_smile:

lmk if you run into any other q’s!

4 Likes

update…

I’ve only gotten back to this just now. I have the i2c wires hooked up in the back correctly, I believe, and the output parameter set properly but I’m not getting anything. What mode does Just Friends need to be in? Is there a particular way I need to have Crow and Just Friends patched (I was assuming that the point of connecting things on the back was so that you did’nt have to patch anything but just thought I’d ask)?

See?! This is why this is the best community. I’ve ordered the cables and bookmarked that doc. I’ll see how everything goes and let you know.

THANK YOU!

2 Likes

I was wondering, if it’s possible to have the a continuous note length range from 0-100, or it must be steps of 0,25,50,75,100.

Is it possible to randomise the note length?

Another musically useful function would be to generate random velocity (either CV/midi) for each note… Any ideas on whether that’s possible?

Here’s the note_length parameter at line 280 in awake.lua, guess you could add more steps here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also you need to take into account how the note length is calculated.

See line 177:

if params:get("note_length") < 4 then
  notes_off_metro:start((60 / params:get("clock_tempo") / params:get("step_div")) * params:get("note_length") * 0.25, 1)
end

params:get("note_length") get the index of the table {"25%", "50%", "75%", "100%"}

So if the value set is < 4 (value 4 is seen as 100%) the note length is calculated by the index * 0.25

e.g. if set to 75% we get: 3 * 0.25 = 0.75 which is then multiplied by the current step length (60 / params:get("clock_tempo") / params:get("step_div"))

If you add more values to the note length table you have to make sure to adapt the rest of the code and get the math right.

edit: just read your other questions.

yes, but requires additional code. happy to give you pointers/walk through if you wish.

2 Likes

Basic question. I am new to Norns and Crow. Both are running last firmware. Grid is plugged into Norns running Awake. Output is set to crow out 1+2.

On Crow, Output 1 and Envelope 1 are behaving normally. But nothing is happening on Output 2 (but it works when running First). Tried reinstalling Awake. Doesn’t work.

What am I doing wrong?

I think Crow had 4 outputs and awake uses 2 of them - one for melody and the second for envelope. Nothing out the other two I don’t think.

1 Like

So, if I understand correctly, Norns can play 2 sequences in Awake, but Crow can only play 1 ?

No, Awake generates just one stream of notes. This stream of notes is generated by 2 sequences playing in parallel, with the pitches of the second sequence transposing the pitches of the first sequence. If both sequences have different numbers of steps, it takes a longer time before the resultung stream of notes repeats.

7 Likes

No - Awake is monophonic. You’ll get a single note (CV output) and a gate

Edit: Yeah what @wolfgangschaltung said haha

1 Like