Basic CV keyboard

So despite that a conventional 12 note/octave keyboard controller isn’t especially crucial to how I work, I at some point would like to get one; looking at mainly the Verbos Touchplate Keyboard–for various reasons, not least of which, aesthetics. Yes, I like it.

That said, while poking around about the K-Mix, I decided to see what else that company makes. Saw the QuNexus.

Under 200 bucks and has CV/gate out.

It’s basic, but it’s 12 keys/octave.

What’s the catch?

Does it do what it should?

Is it good?

If it’s all that, why spend well upwards of $500 if this little thing gives you twelve quantized chromatic notes, with bend, octave switching, etc.?

…and is smaller, more portable, doesn’t need a wall wart…etc.?

Why doesn’t everyone have one?

If I keep typing questions, will the president elect and his entire swamp of appointees magically drop dead?

It’s a pretty popular device.

I’m kind of curious to find out.

Careful what you wish for! I type FAST.

Even purely as a CV controller?

I genuinely don’t know. I see it deployed a lot as a USB controller, and it makes a lot of sense in that application. I just wonder if I’d run up against some sort of unknown limitation with it rather than using a really purpose-built controller, like the Verbos.

It also does CV->MIDI.

It’s a great device, and is always in my backpack (watch the durability testing videos, they’re awesome). It does what it should. I don’t have complaints, but a lot of trained keyboardists dislike the rubber keys (they’re more like drum pads).

If you’re hesitant, they show up on Muff’s B/S/T for cheap all the time. The KM stuff seems to depreciate quickly. I picked up a QuNeo for something like $80.

Yep. even purely more than 20 characters too.

Valid point. I studied piano for ten years, but I don’t come to instruments like this expecting or demanding that kind of feel. Might I end up growing impatient? I don’t know.

That said, the Verbos hardly qualifies as a normal keyboard either.

Hah! :grinning:

zillion characters

Looks like it’s on sale at ThinkGeek (huh?) for $99 - http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ijqp/?itm=255402761206

There are 2 things to keep in mind with the QuNexus.

First, the pressure response is not equal for all keys. On all QuNexi (is that the right plural :wink: ?) a friend and mine have tested (eight devices, IIRC, from different batches), there were some keys that required significant more force to reach the same pressure value.

Second, excercising the same force for a prolonged amount of time slowly increases the measured pressure value.

Reported to KMI, no reaction.

But I bought one nevertheless.

Here’s the device I used:

Here’s the prolonged pressure case:

I also had the same problem with uneven pressure and tilt. It basically made the device unusable for me, and I went through 3 different ones from the store. Even their software calibration wasn’t able to correct for it. Ultimately I ended up returning it. If you don’t use the pressure or tilt features I suppose it would be ok, but I would rather buy one of the small Korg or Akai keyboards and use a MIDI-CV converter.

Agree the pressure of the qunexus is not very expressive, but it’s also in another price range than a roli or linnstrument.

I love the option to toggle notes.

Another cool thing is that the leds are addressable via midi. I’ve been wondering why there aren`t more apps around it.

Okay, so consensus seems to be that QuNexus isn’t optimal. Will pass.

I’ve got your MIDI-CV 1U module so this is of course easy. I can already plug my Minilogue in if I want. I was just intrigued by the idea of having a smaller, dedicated CV-out keyboard for when I’m in other rooms in my house (instruments are strewn all over the place).

Given alternate solutions, I suppose the Verbos is pretty indulgent. It’s so beautiful, and perfectly harmonized in functionality with all this weirdo west/left-ish coasty stuff, but at $800 list, and still requiring a skiff and power, that’s a pretty poor price/performance ratio.

Decision made. No Verbos.

Sad.

But glad.

Moar munnies!

If you’re going to go with a bog-standard MIDI keyboard (I agree it’s probably the best idea) I’d highly recommend looking for one that supports aftertouch. It’s not a cost-free feature (especially since it tends to only be included on higher end models) but I find it gets me a lot of the way towards the kinds of sounds I was able to get during my brief foray into the Roli Seaboard. Without MPE you won’t be experiencing polyphonic aftertouch, but in practice I don’t find this to make a massive difference.

If you really, really want MIDI-to-CV and the QuNexus is out… Ansible is probably the next best option in the price range if you already have a keyboard you like. The various modes offer a lot of functionality, and it doesn’t take up a lot of case space. OP-1 + Ansible is a mean combo, as you have access to regular keyboard performance in addition to all of the OP-1’s creative sequencers.

Aside from the QuNexus and Ansible, I personally have a 2 x Pressure Points + Brains combo. There are so many options for 12-tet CV keyboards that it made more sense to have a less specialized setup. I can tune each “key” however I want and use it as a sequencer or preset storage. I wouldn’t recommend it without a decent quantizer, though.

The Arturia Keystep is a bargain at $120, MIDI/CV keyboard with aftertouch, arp, and sequencer. Converts MIDI clock to CV, with some limitations (you can’t leave arp/seq mode without losing clock sync, which drives me nuts) but overall a pretty useful toy.

Looking for a new compact keyboard controller. (See the thread we’re i got robbed https://llllllll.co/t/got-robbed-but-so-lucky/19592?u=esc )What’s everyone’s favorite for modular comparability. Cv, v/o, gate etc

For an ultra portable option, I like the QuNexus a lot. For a little more pro feeling but still compact, it’s hard to beat the Keystep.

Yeah I was thinking keystep just for super easy modular integration

There’s the modular controller coming from Teenage engineering. Won’t have touch or pressure capabilities, and may not have an option to be powered by an adapter but could be interesting. Love the keystep, though it’s a little big for my desk. The pitch and mod strips are mostly useless for expressivity but ok for coarse purposes.