Basic Question: Teletype as Basic Sequencer

Hi there,

I’m struggling with my new teletype and could use a little help. I’m scratching the surface of what appears to be a vast amount of possibility, but before I explore more unconventional applications, I’d like to understand how to do some basic functions, like, for example, a 4-track step sequencer.

I have two 48 step sequences entered via the tracker for patterns 0 and 1. I’d like to have two vco’s play them back in sync with the teletype’s metronome. So far I’m getting one of the sequences to play by entering this in the “M” script:

TR.PULSE A
CV 1 N P.NEXT
M 200

This appears to default to reading the 0 pattern. Where and what command can I enter to have CV 2 output the note values in pattern 1 synced with the internal metronome? I’ve tried self-patching from the pulse out of A into trigger input 1 and then putting the following into script 1:

TR.PULSE B
P 1
CV 2 N P.NEXT

But that got some weird results.

It seems like it should be much easier than this and there is something I’m missing.

1 Like

P.NEXT – like a lot of TT’s pattern-related commands – does not specify which of the four pattern it acts upon. Instead, this and similar commands act upon the so-called “working pattern”, which you need to specify with P.N x (x being the pattern number from 0-3) at some point, otherwise it will default to the leftmost pattern in the tracker (pattern 0).

The tricky thing is that once you have specified the working pattern, this specification is valid for all scripts until you change it again. So if you want read from pattern 0 and from pattern 1 with P.NEXT, you have to specifiy the working pattern with P.N x each time before using P.NEXT to read from a different pattern.

So one potential attempt to this would look like this (disclaimer: please note that I am a TT newbie myself, and currently have a different patch running on my system, which means I can’t test this, so please take this with the proverbial grain of salt):

METRO SCRIPT
P.N 0
CV 1 N P.NEXT
P.N 1
CV 2 N P.NEXT
TR.PULSE A
TR.PULSE B

I prefer to first have the CVs output, then trigger the voice. You will see that I already used up all 6 available lines, so I need to define the metronome script execution interval somewhere else, like in the init script.

INIT SCRIPT
M 200

Now you said you wanted to have 48 step sequences, so you need to set the length of your patterns accordingly with P.L, otherwise P.NEXT might get hung at step 0 of a pattern (as the default pattern length is 0). P.L also acts on the working pattern, so you need to specify it here as well. I’d also put that into the init script.

INIT SCRIPT
M 200
P.N 0
P.L 48
P.N 1
P.L 48

I am sure there are more efficient ways to do it, but it should do the trick.

Search here for “working pattern” to learn more about this concept.

4 Likes

I should add that the init script only gets executed on recalling a scene, so when experimenting with scripts without saving and loading them I use Live mode to input those commands that are supposed to be in the init script.

A TT simulator might be a handy tool?

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch, wolfgangschaltung. It totally worked and that cleared up a few things for me. I’m now wondering how to get each of the four patterns sequencing four vco’s simultaneously all clocked by the metronome. Any ideas on that?

I’m a bit in a hurry right now, so just a hint: If you want to continue using the Metro Script, you can use the SCRIPT command to trigger scripts from another script.

METRO SCRIPT
SCRIPT 1
SCRIPT 2
SCRIPT 3
SCRIPT 4

Then the first script could contain all the commands necessary to process pattern 0 for the first voice, the second script contains everything to process patter 1 for the second voice etc. like this:

SCRIPT 1
P.N 0
CV 1 N P.NEXT
TR.PULSE A

Write Script 2 to 3 accordingly – hope this helps (hope it works, haven’t tried it)!

2 Likes

It will

That is what I was going to suggest

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks a bunch.