Bastl Thyme

I’m not sure I will sign to that, but Thyme sure sounds digital. Thats one of the reasons I like it. If you are looking delay box with crazy manipulations but with warm and lush sound, I would actually recommend something else. Maybe Dreadbox Hypnosis?

great jams! Thyme is a real instrument in these… What I’m wondering about is if there is a way to save your loops. Thyme does not have a SD card, os is there a way to temporarily save loops?

Thank you! No, there is no way to save loops, apart from recording them externally. I find with the Thyme especially, having it plugged into a recorder at all times (like my Zoom R16 which is both a mixer and recorder) is very useful. There are some many happy accidents with that instrument :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another heavy usage of the robots in Thyme https://soundcloud.com/t3hh/meditatsioon-20191017

2 Likes

Some more no input music with the Mooer Ocean Machine looper/dual delay/reverb and the Bastl Thyme patched in a feedback loop:

3 Likes

Just picked up a Thyme and waiting for it to arrive.

Just wondering of anyone has any creative advice on how they use it?
Is anyone running through a reverb afterwards?

Planning on using it along side my modular, feeding signals into and for crazy rythmic effects.

I send the Thyme output to an oto bam reverb, love it. I find it’s a bit hard to explain Thyme, you’ll feel it quickly when you get your hands on it though. I particularly like using a robot (lfo) on the spacing control for the additional playheads, and making sure the robot is set to stereo (which applies the inverse affect to each channel). With it set up that way you get lots of nice little delay blips moving around in the stereo space. Then if you play with feedback and levels it can get glitchy (and screechy) really quickly.

3 Likes

i use the thyme in a mixer send with my c-l instruments. i find it best to approach it on its own terms rather than as a delay that will perform to a certain spec. i also like to adjust the spacing with the robots, it’s a nice effect. i’ve seen others mention this but it has a bit of a buzzing tone when gain staged and that can be really annoying (i often find i have to cut high end on that channel, which is aggravating because so much of the interesting textures and detail it yields are in the upper register). overall it’s a cool/idiosyncratic design that i appreciate having but certainly not what i’d get as my only delay

1 Like

I like using it at the end of the chain, usually with a pocket operator, and playing the preset buttons like a little keyboard. With all the stuff it can do, it can get pretty dramatic.

2 Likes

There is a recent video by one of the designers explaining the main functions and how he is using them starting about 28 minutes in

3 Likes

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, def didn’t get as my main delay, have a Timeline for that, more a box for experiementing and adding new tones and sounds to my compositions.

I’ll watch the video now, thanks!! Very excited!

2 Likes

I’ve had the thyme for a while and one of my favorite uses is the “hold” function to make simple/easy loops which are easily pitched down using the tape speed knob. Messing with feedback, delay time, and spacing once a loop is playing quickly yields interesting results!

4 Likes

Are you talking about the “FREEZE” button? I love that thing. There’s a shortcut with it that doubles/halves the loop length too, which is a hoot.

1 Like

Oh yeah freeze! It’s a fun one—it feels unpredictable which is really nice.

2 Likes

I just got the Bastl Thyme. This guy is old news by now, but wow, such a cool little box, inspiring! I had some of their eurorack modules in the past and got rid of them because I wasn’t a huge fan of the user interfaces they come up with. Especially the more digital devices with lots of key combos that I failed to remember. Honestly, I thought the Thyme would be like that but I gave it a shot, and in its use I have to admit that it reveals a logic that is not immediately apparent upon beholding the apparatus for the very first time (it looked pretty far fetched and exotic to me). Maybe they stumbled upon brilliance by accident or maybe I got smarter, I don’t know :laughing: What I do know is that calling this machine a delay effect unit does it no credit at all!

This is a video I put on my channel, first “tutorial” type of thing (so don’t expect Cuckoo/Huang material… :stuck_out_tongue:) I was amazed at how difficult it was for me to break through self-doubt and insecurities in order to finish this, so it’s a big step for me personally. I hope anyone watching finds it somewhat useful. Cheers!

19 Likes

great video, as an aspiring thyme owner I really appreciate seeing it used in different ways — always nice when these sorts of videos make some good music too :slight_smile: was very happy to see your video pop up on youtube homepage since I am already a subscriber (hit like and subscribe). Do more, if you feel like it! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. There will be more videos like this because I would like to get better at it. If others appreciate following along on the ride, it’s a win-win situation :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve looked at the THYME a few times. It looks like such a neat little box and makes such cool sounds, but I can’t help but think a lot of what it does could be done on a Norns. On the other hand, I don’t like the idea of just stealing the whole thing and virtualizing it. Does anyone know if there are some Norns apps that are similar?

there’s lots of cool loopers, sound on sound delays, etc (wrms, otis, etc) nothing resembling sequencing the robots though.

PS if anyone is going to do this, i have a lot of notes on ideas because it was the first thing that came to mind after using otis (which is inspired by cocoquantus)… similar to the relationship between otis and cocoquantus… any “clone” would inherently be completely different

4 Likes

would definitely watch more vids like that!

also let it be known thyme might be the most beautifully modern interface i’ve ever seen

minimal is cool but this is more “me” personality-wise

i just really love looking at it and imagine it would be loads of fun to play

5 Likes