Beets 1.1.1

this script is awesome. Reverb released a huge zip of drum machine samples earlier this year and this script just eats them up.

4 Likes

Thank you! This is the perfect mission statement for Beets, exactly what I was trying to build:

3 Likes

Is there a specific limit to the number of wavs you can have in a folder? While looking for loops to put on there I remembered I was on this “digital locked grooves” compilation so I converted all 237 tracks to wavs and threw them on there but it only seems to want to play the first 50 - after that it displays the number up to 237 but they are silent

adding another voice to the recent chorus singing praises of beets. super fun and immediate.

3 Likes

When Beets loads a folder, it loads each wav file into a single long Softcut “tape” buffer at regular intervals (a couple of seconds apart). This is so that it can jump around the tape instantly when playing. The Softcut buffer is a fixed length, so eventually Beets just runs out of tape.

3 Likes

Ah interesting! Thanks for the info. That many loops was more than the resolution of the midi controller to even select properly anyway

Beets on the Radel.

1 Like

This script is so good; I’ve thrown all manner of things at it, and just a couple of folders of Tanzbar and MFB 502 samples (more or less chosen at random) makes for instant slow-motion breakbeat dub when run through suitable effects… and breakcore is never far away either. Incredible!

1 Like

Been having more of a play, still great :slight_smile: One small change that would make it a lot more musically useful personally would be if “switch loop” was relative to the currently selected loop, ie when you bring that back down to zero it goes back to the loop it was on instead of staying in the new randomly selected loop. Does that make sense?! :smiley:

2 Likes

Just a quick shout out! Beets is just perfect for jamming! I dust off old beats from my MV and load it on the norns. Love that possibility of “writing” track progression by renaming all files in a folder. Super easy, hyper effective. Also love the fact you can jam with two voices. One for beats and bass and stuffs, other one for melodic component like chord progression. It is a joy to use and it opens lot of great possibilities. Thanks for this script!

3 Likes

I am always delighted to hear things like this. I haven’t had time to work on any fixes or features for Beets in a little while, but I am very happy to know that it’s still bringing percussive joy to folks.

6 Likes

Lot of joy, indeed!
And lot of new loops recorded with modular to use with it! I really started to want a sample/audio editor within Norns because of Beets.

Love it like it is right know, but if you want go further, we here!!

3 Likes

@lleicamun

definitely, i wish i had a more pratical way for slicing my 64 bar of loop capture into 64 X 1 bar in order to create a dedicated folder in Beets. Would be killer!

Hey, speaking of that, anyone here knows a (free :slight_smile: ) software able to do so, i mean, even distribution of slices and exporting each chops into wave?

1 Like

@Fsuchs, have you tried Sam?

2 Likes

Yeah, for sure I like Sam :slight_smile: really easy to trim some recording! And this is the best way to stay inside Norns for some looping action! But for the beets purpose, would be such a real thrill to have a simple slicing tool which is able to export the result as separated wave files into a dedicated folder…

1 Like

Hey people, I’m experiencing a strange behavior when I try to drive Beets via Crow with my modular analog clock signal: the tempo is synced without problems, but every once in a while the loop goes back to starting point randomly, at the beginning I thought it was me, but as soon as I try to sync Beets via Link and Ableton clock, the loop starts to go fluid from start to the end.

Another question, It’s normal I’m not able to use Crow’s outs to drive my modular?

1 Like

Works really well with midigrid emulating the grid setup. Having a ton of fun and always love having another method to slice some breaks up :slight_smile: !!!

2 Likes

In case anyone’s tracking this thread, for more breakbeat delights you should check out the wonderful new Amen script.

8 Likes

Just been mapping both voices to my midi controller to have a proper go with this… couple of observations:

It’d be amazing to have visual indication of both voices, as it is you just see the waveform and slices for the first one right? Even just having the slices/in+out for the 2nd would be a great help.

I’m getting some weird freezing/sticking… I’ll try again and see if there are any errors in Maiden but it seems like it was getting stuck on a slice and nothing worked on that voice any more except the filter. Possibly a bad sample of some kind…

1 Like

Keen to check out this script. Unfortunately I am unable to load loops. I’ve done as directed, added to /audio/beets and can find them in params. But after I have loaded them in params I still get ‘load loops’ message on the main screen. Anyone else having this issue - am I missing something crucial? Cheers!