Beets 1.1.1

Trying to use this, I’m having various issues:

Blockquote
put sets of loops (each one bar long) in folders in the Norns audio/beets folder

I could only browse folders in the root, such as ‘home’ , ‘etc’ and ‘lost+found’.
Now I can’t even get to the last menu page to browse a folder, it gets stuck at the ‘select/system/sleep’ page. Then, when I touch encoder 2 the settings menu does appear, but I cannot scroll above the divider between ‘1: Load loops’ and ‘1: Amplitude’.

This looks like so much fun! Great concept. When do you expect to release this with the grid ui implemented?

1 Like

If you grab the current version on Github then there’s a working but slightly unfinished/undocumented Grid UI already. I had hoped to release it by now but a deadline at work has taken me away from Norns this week.

2 Likes

just saw your yt vid for res freq 026. Super awesome. I’m assuming you were using beets…can’t wait till its ready for a proper release!

Thanks! Yes, that performance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKyZKC6mkk - used the latest dev version of Beets with Grid UI and support for multiple concurrent instances. I’m cleaning it up for a 1.0 release soon.

8 Likes

:pray: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

This is so awesome, thank you very much for your effort . Eagerly awaiting for the grid update to have sone oldschool fuun :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s looking likely that I’ll line up the 1.0 release with the next release of Norns, which I’m assuming is pretty near given the rapid iteration on the code in Github. The new global clock with Ableton Link support really supercharges a tempo-driven script like this.

8 Likes

20 character of heavy breathing.

3 Likes

Perhaps a silly question but haven’t seen it mentionned anywhere… Are the 1 bar loops have the ability to be timestretch, or is it a necessity to match Beets’ clock to the original tempo of the loops?

1 Like

There’s a global BPM setting that alters the sample playback speed to match (pitching up or down).

I’d love to add some kind of timestretching if anyone has any advice on doing that in Softcut. I spent some time looking for details on the original Akai samplers ‘cyclic’ timestretch algorithm but couldn’t find anything detailed enough to implement.

6 Likes

Wow, yeah, that would be awesome! No idea how to do it…wonder if the code for the freeware Akaizer (which I use from time to time, it’s pretty awesome) could be found somewhere

2 Likes

Would be indeed totaly awesome addition.
I would suggest something more off the traditional samplers widh usualy sounded kinda stepped and aliaised even if that had its charme and would think, sth like count to 5 mode 1, where you are able to stretch time (pitch) independently from tempo, unstepped (varispeed) this allows for extremely complex fiddles.
Also please dont forget the 64crew on grid recognition:)

Another idea, that would make me personaly very happy, would be a off-clock mode, for unquantized playing around on the grid.

Awesome ideas, thank you! And for sure I’ll retain 64-grid compatibility. My current grid UI is just 8x8 and I put two copies side by side for controlling two voices on 128 grids.

3 Likes

Some experiments with timestretching: using granular slices, and also via a pre-calculated transient table made with Aubio on a Mac

6 Likes

To celebrate the launch of the new global clock system, which gives superpowers to a script like this, I’m releasing version 1.0 with grid UI and some nice new features. Top post updated!

19 Likes

@mattbiddulph I’m having a similar issue here. How do I access/load these loops?
I’m currently on the newest version of Norns & Beets. Thanks!

Assuming you have some WAV files containing one-bar loops (e.g. drum loops) then you need to put them in folders in a folder called beets under the audio top level Norns dust folder. For example, I have a folder called dnb containing four drum and bass loops.

You should be able to use a computer to follow these standard Norns instructions to create the beets folder and copy files into it using the wifi network: https://monome.org/docs/norns/fileshare/

When Beets loads, it scans dust/audio/beets for folders and uses that to build the ‘load loops’ menu item. You may need to reload the script after copying files over.

Let me know if this helps or if it’s still not clear!

3 Likes

AH!
I was under the impression this folder was created and a loop was included in the install. I get it now!! Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s good to know that wasn’t clear. I wonder if I should have it auto-create the directory and include some public-domain drum loop in the download so that people can try it out immediately.

11 Likes