Benjamin Mauch - A (C)able Tethered to the Sky

I would like to share my most recent album, A ©able Tethered to the Sky, which I have released on my personal bandcamp page today. This album is a collection of songs written over the past couple of months with the Novation Peak as the only sound source. I also used a lot of effects, some of which came from my Monome Norns. This album was essentially born out of wanting to limit myself to one instrument, and taught me a lot about multi-tracking different melodic lines. It’s a mixture of very prominent melodies and more traditional ambient textures. All of the proceeds of the album are being donated to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund.

Would love to hear any thoughts about the album from this awesome community! Thank you!

22 Likes

great stuff! The concept and the sounds (so far) remind me a lot of Steve Hauschildt’s Tragedy and Geometry, which I believe is exclusively the Prophet '08.

1 Like

One of my favorite albums! Definitely take inspiration from him. Glad you liked it!

1 Like

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I really loved what sounds like changing envelopes toward the end of the first track. Well done.

1 Like

Enjoyed listening to this - thanks for sharing

1 Like

Very much enjoyed this track. Looking forward to diving in the rest of the album.

1 Like

I really appreciate it everyone. I’m definitely proud of how it turned out. And yes @bran, modulating envelopes is such a great technique for motion in a minimal piece like that one.

Funny, one of my friends/former band mates sent me a link to this yesterday. It’s funny because he typically listens to more punk-leaning music. Fun when irl friends send me music of other lines users!

1 Like

Really great work, my friend, it’s inspiring to see what’s possible with just one piece of gear. The Hauschildt reference is spot on. Looking forward to hearing what’s next from you. Slainte!

1 Like

somehow i read benjolin in the thread title.
glad i clicked on it anyway :wink:

2 Likes

Whoa thats amazing @ParliamentLite!! I’m curious who it is/ how he found me if you feel like sharing!

Got it! (T)arp and (Good) Grief stick out the most to me. Great job over all!

1 Like

“Someone shared it on Twitter, don’t remember who exactly.”

Not a particularly exciting story but still fun nonetheless. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

So cool. Ha thanks for sharing that with me!
Also thanks a lot @robotboot! Glad you enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

It’s been a contemplative day and found myself revisiting it throughout. Not sure I can give more of a :+1: than that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@yittabitta Thank you. I’m super glad the music was a part of your contemplation!

1 Like

If somebody wants to know more about Bejamin’s work on this album, there’s an interview with him wich I’ve just posted to horizontalpitch about the opening track of the album, “(H)over”:
http://www.horizontalpitch.com/2020/08/benjamin-mauch-hover/

7 Likes

A huge thanks to @papernoise for doing this interview- had a great time answering questions! Hope everyone enjoys it!

5 Likes

A friend of mine in Richmond Virginia who goes by Sideeye recently did a remix of my track (J)unction on the album and I thought I would share. I was super impressed with what he added- hope you enjoy it!

You can also check out his other stuff here: https://www.facebook.com/SIDEEYEmusic/?ref=page_internal

2 Likes

Hello again everyone! I wanted to share one last thing on this release page- the label 9th Life Tapes recently did a run of cassettes for me and you can get them here if you so desire:

Thanks for the support!

2 Likes