Benjolin

I like the full size ones. The full-size ones are really nice as there is room to play them properly… I would definitely consider the full size ones rather than smaller clones !

1 Like

Twin Peak! Working towards a eurorack Hordijk setup.

2 Likes

i’ve found logic, adders and polarizers to be the most valuable benjolin companions. breaking the default cross mod scheme can seem pointless sometimes but if you stick the osc A tri out into a vca/polarizer and then thru a precision adder with your new desired CV source and then back into osc B cv input you can blend your original mod source (osc A tri) with the new source.

also delay

4 Likes

It might be overkill from a chaos point of view, but it’s been fun to create feedback paths using the Joranalogue Orbit 3 and the Benjolin.

(Side note: I really wish the ALA Benjolin had a patch point so you could replace the rungler’s sampled voltage with an external voltage source. It’s basically the one thing I’d want to change about the module—aside from that, I adore it!)

I’ll have to check out those videos. From my experiences with using the two, Marbles is kind of a pain in the butt to use with an external irregular clock, but I could see the potential of modulating the Benjolin with random/slowly morphing voltage.

I second using logic. I’m using the Mystic Circuits Ana with the Benjolin, and while I haven’t done a ton of experimenting with the combination, there’s a lot you could do to increase the variability of feedback patching with the Benjolin just by using that other module.

2 Likes

The only logic module I’ve got at hand right now is Cold Mac, so that’ll have to do.

Besides that, I’ll be feeding it Triple Sloths, an Ochd, and various bits and bobs from Maths. I’m sidelining Batumi/Poti and Brain Seed/G8 for lack of space.

2 Likes

I was trying not to name any specific module but Cold Mac is outstanding next to Benjolin

3 Likes

I just moved my ALA Benjolin closer to my Cold Mac.

I need to add some more logic modules!

4 Likes

Has anyone used a shift register with the Benjolin? It seems like it could be slightly redundant, but also potentially powerful. I’ll have to play around using just Step 8 and Benjolin together.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, first post here. I often crosspatch Epoch Modular B with ALA B, OG Wiard wogglebug, Synchrodyne, Planar, Bizmuth, Orbit 3. I sometimes get a sonic meltdown too quickly, usually when too many modules are involved. Often less is more.

4 Likes

Welcome! :slight_smile: I’m curious: how do you tend to use Planar with the Benjolin?

2 Likes

Yes, welcome!

I’m also curious about how you are combining Planar with ALA Benjolin and Wogglebug.

1 Like

It would also be great fun to connect all outputs of a Benjolin to a mixer and start playing it by hand. And maybe a wogglebug to help out. It’s a truly performer’s module doesn’t need a lot of external modulations.

4 Likes

Haven’t found any. Do you have some links? I’m interested

2 Likes

It’s often more like trial and error. Here’s one. I hope you visualize each in & out correctly. If not, I can detail the patch. And once it’s done, it’s time to find the sweet spots, and there are a multitude of them.

4 Likes

I think I get that patch like you’re feeding it back into itself using Planar? I haven’t had much experience with Planar, though, so I could be off.

2 Likes

Yes it’s a feedback patch. Planar cv out x&y modulate Benjolin osc 1&2.
Rungler & PWM modulate cv in x&y.

2 Likes

A Serge-style programmer is cool, in my experience. Multiple channels of selectable CV to dial in different states and switch between them.

3 Likes

I love it with a delay/processor that takes modulation and gates well. For example, 4ms Dual Looping Delay or Beads. Can lead to really good (stereo) madness.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are some things you do with Benjolin + Beads?

2 Likes

Same thing I always usually do with the modular: make weird sounds. What I meant above, though, is using the Benjolin to modulate the sound processor that is processing it. I think in general the Benjolin is underrated as a modulator. Here are a few clips from a wiggle last night:

Whirr:

Ghost

Wane

Layer

21 Likes