Benjolin

No, but intrigued. Pleased to see it licensed.

1 Like

Awesome. My biggest gripe with the Epoch Benjolin is the comically wide range of voltages between each audio output and then the filter output.

Epoch:

2 Likes

woah! already envisioning a benjolin centered microsystem!

1 Like

A bit! And I only realised that I spelled één wrong when the panel arrived :sweat_smile::man_shrugging:

I’ve ordered a V2. The Rob Hordijk enhancements are most welcome. Hopefully, they are implemented well.

V1 ain’t going nowhere. The audio rate volume ‘issues’ (of the Epoch Modular version) are surmountable, i.e., by boosting level with something. No brainer, really.

Benjolin modulating Benjolin :closed_lock_with_key:

1 Like

oh wow lovely thread! What about this one? the documentation it is reaaallyyy nice as well, lots of good infos about the circuit, and most important of all: gerbers!

5 Likes

I just read through this thread and am glad you shared this video. These sounds are killer! I too want to figure this out.

5 Likes

Ordered a v2 aswell - licensed Benjolin with extrernal filter input - yes please

3 Likes

Does anyone know where you pull the HP and BP filters out of the circuit? Anyone got links to more mods beyond Casper’s?

A super fun thing that I have found to do with the audio in is to run the filter output through a vca and feed it back in… It’ll get you into sneakers squeaking on a gym floor and grinding noise territory.

4 Likes

I just ordered my Benjolin V2 from Patchwerks (who still has them in stock) and was reading through the manual tonight. I know this is a brand new release, but can anyone shed light on the Turing Machine expander connections mentioned in the manual (and on the ALA product page) and how they’d be used? Reading the descriptions on the diagrams in the manual it looks like a bunch of extra outs, and I wonder if these are a means of using the Benjolin to drive an entire patch?

3 Likes

Today I got my Benjolin V2 and a Twin Peak I scored off of Reverb and dropped them into my palette. I haven’t stopped playing with them! This is too much fun and I anticipate spending long hours with it. My daughters (all teens) came in to check it out and actually wanted to play with it, so they took turns making some beautiful sounds/racket with them. Truly a fun time.

To follow-up on my last question, I wrote to ALA and got a response on the expanders. They explained which expander went on which jack and said they would update the user manual soon with the added details.

11 Likes

Received mine today. I have the feeling the resonance is a little tamer on this version than on the original Epoch one

2 Likes

I just recently picked up this Benjolin from @kbra here on very this forum (thanks Väinö!), and had my first chance to play with it today, running live against a loop in the DAW. A simple improvisation that I thought you might enjoy. It’s a delightful instrument!

17 Likes

Glad to hear you’re liking it! And it’s very interesting - I put together that combination of things for my own (not so) idiosyncratic use a couple of years ago, when I needed something simpler and more self-contained than the euro setup I had, and had an idea of sort of a minimal combination of things that would be fun on its own. It’s great to now hear someone else to approach the same instrument in quite a different way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

excellent, and already Tuukka Jääskeläinen connected to it as well, so our worlds are colliding :smiley:
And now of course people are asking where they can buy it, so could now make a living making and selling them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

ah damn, i was eyeing this very same benjolin in a finnish gear site not long ago, but i’m happy it found the best possible home in the end!

3 Likes

Yeah, T. borrowed the instrument for a while at the point when I was starting to use it less, so I linked the video to him :slight_smile:

FWIW My favourite “official” Benjolins so far are the dual ones from Derek Holzer: http://macumbista.net/?page_id=4956 - I was considering saving up for one back then as he at least used to live in town and did a little lecture and demo performance at a local event, but ended up thinking I’d want to pair it with FX anyway, so things happened.

2 Likes

and I’ll take good care of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I have one that Derek built too. It’s al lovely machine and will pair great with your one so looking forward to getting them to talk together soon :slight_smile:

And just discovered you built a Wiard 300 system for a friend of mine there too. What a smaller world than ever!