Berna - the 1950's electroacoustic studio

http://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/berna/

just delving deep into Giorgio Sancristoforo’s Berna, this is a real time machine! i’m now reading a book about the history of Studio di Fonologia Musicale RAI di Milano, orobably the most advanced electronic and electroacoustic centre in the world between 1955 and 1961, instigated and directed by Luciano Berio and Bruno Maderna with the aid of chief technician Marino Zuccheri. in the late 50’s great artists like Cage and Stockhausen were regulars in the Studio, while Luigi Nono developed a masterpiece like “La Fabbrica Illuminata” there.

this app brings you there with great accuracy! it’s a joy to patch those early devices into one another and then bounce to tape, varispeed stuff and re-record it while further processing the reel to reel outs…
try it for yourself, it is really that awesome!

19 Likes

Looks great!
I will try it soon.

1 Like

this looks completely wild! i’m very happy that someone decided this was worth doing a painstaking recreation of. the sort of software application i want to somehow live inside of. definitely going to try it.

2 Likes

Wow! Blast from the past. I downloaded this ages ago and never followed through on learning it…let us know how it turns out?

2 Likes

This looks fantastic - also an excellent way to avoid working for the rest of today :champagne:

3 Likes

Yes! Same here. I used to have version 1… not a big fan of the new graphics though.

1 Like

Berna 3 is out, and this time there’s a Windows version. I’ve been playing around with the demo and really enjoy it. It feels very much like a labor of love from the developer and I’ll definitely be purchasing to support him. This is the same dev behind Gleetchlab, which is also now available for Windows.

I’d encourage anyone to give it a try. He says a few times in the video: This is not a synth. I’ve found it is a great way to experiment with sound and process. I’m not usually swayed by aesthetics, but in this case his beautifully rendered equipment really help the experience!

7 Likes

version 3 is amazing, not only we have more devices but the overall layout is much improved compared to previous versions. it’s really a great environment to experiment with. i already recorded about 4 tracks with it :slight_smile: it’s worth every penny!

3 Likes

This appeared on my feed this morning which looks amazing:

3 Likes

Looks neat, the graphic design is certainly on point.

I’m guessing his projects are some form of Max/MSP backend that’s just included with the software?

1 Like

Yeah, that was my reaction too - “looks” interesting in both senses of the word, although all his work tends to be visibly fantastic.

I often wonder if he hasn’t walled-garden-ed himself (and, by so doing, glass-ceiling-ed himself) by making his creations solely outside of DAWs. I totally understand and respect his approach, however.

1 Like

all his creations (gleetchlab, berna, etc…) are very clever and complex max\msp patches exported as standalone applications. you can export your patches as standalone too. not to say this is an easy job for commercially available products, you have to check compatibility between mac and win versions and establish some kind of copy protection. but for distributing free download apps, it’s pretty straightforward.

5 Likes