Bestia - Cracked Vessel

Wanted to share my debut release on Growth In Decay Recordings (Austin, TX) with everyone.

About:
Started off really wanting to make an album around John Coltrane and his otherworldly saxophone tones but as with all music, it morphed into something else entirely. Ended up trying to create a Japanese New Age album that felt withered and fragile but manipulated in a way that felt modern. Started this when the pandemic began and finished it in about a month, had to cut myself off from editing it to death ha.

Instruments:
I only used hardware for this album, which may have been limiting but it kept things moving quickly. Treated my DAW almost as a tape machine, in that it was only used to record, arrange and export.

• Monome Norns+Grid - Most of the heavy lifting on the album was done with layering then deconstruction through Cranes and/or MLR. One track uses Boing because I couldn’t help loving how hypotonic that Grid interface is ha.

• Elektron Digitakt - One of my favorite things to do is taking a sample, looping a small segment of it and playing it chromatically as a “synth”. I think it really lends to novel textures and more importantly, gives music that can sometimes be very emotionally detached, a personal meaning. Most of the “synth” leads on the album are samples of Coltrane and Dolphy and although it’s not sonically obvious, it means more to me than just pulling up a stock patch. That ends my manifesto on electronic music being cold and sterile at times ha.

• Roland SH-01A - Pads and Sub for days

• Roland D-05 - Was having day after day of writers block and buying this synths solved most of that. Nothing screams New Age like some of the patches on this thing. They may come off as cheesy these days but I can’t get enough of them.

• iOS MiniMoog - Moog releases a free app when the pandemic began and I just had to use it. I doubt I’ll ever own an original but it was nice to pretend.

• Death By Audio Reverberation Machine, Strymon El Capistan, JHS The Kilt, Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water

• Used all of these on a single FX send on my mixer and blended them into a channel when needed to keep things as simple as possible. I didn’t want to be adjusting pedal parameters to death when I could be working on arrangements so I liked that approach. Pretty crude, I know.

Have some tapes, shirts and posters available, if you feel inclined. Mainly want your ears though! Open to all criticism and questions!

:yin_yang::yin_yang::yin_yang:

3 Likes

Sounds beautiful and looks great :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Thanks! Had a totally different idea for graphics but the labels designer killed it regardless. Love when things line up like that

Album is out in its entirety, let me know what you all think.