Bgc_dust

bgc_dust

a dust2 sc engine for using with norns

no screenshots as my shield is borked at the moment

Requirements

norns

Documentation

At the moment, this is just an engine running dust2, done as a learning exercise.

Dust2 is a supercollider UGEN that generates Random impulses https://doc.sccode.org/Classes/Dust2.html

CONTROLS:

• Knob 3 controls volume
  • Knob 2 controls rate (up to 180hz)

Buttons 2 and 3 change screen. screen 1 has the controls, screen 2 prints “meow”

I have plans to improve this, but since my shield isn’t working OK at the moment (i think i messed it up on an update, and have no access to a card reader for the time being) i decided to just put it out and get some feedback.

Download

v0.0.1-alpha - bgc_dust.zip

github link - https://github.com/bgc/bgc_dust

Roadmap

• add a filter (lp/hp/bp)
  • improve UI
  • add a on / off switch instead of always running
  • control reverb on or off?
12 Likes

these links do not work. :wink:

1 Like

fixed the links. i forgot to make the repo public

1 Like

forgive my ignorance but, what is “dust2”? is this a port of some pre-existing app?
is it possible to explain it a bit? (or have i just been living under a rock!)

1 Like

added to the documentation part.

Basically it is a pre existing supercollider UGEN (the things supercollider uses to make or change sound) that generates Random impulses. You get some crackling noise.

2 Likes

sweet

thanks for workin on this!

1 Like

thanks for helping improve the documentation ( i did it on my lunch break)

1 Like

Hi @bgc just tried this out on my norns this evening. Sounds awesome!

3 Likes

this is really cool and i love it. the ui is awesome too. but is there a way to turn these into midi trigs instead of audio? i kind of thought that’s what this was when i first saw it and i was really excited.

maybe there is a way to send the audio to my 0-coast as some kind of audio-cv for gates. i’ll work on that in the meantime. but it would be cool to trigger the digitone with random gates

1 Like

that is a good suggestion. supercollider should allow me to use those pulses to trigger midi stuff.

Unfortunately my norns shield is still messed up and i get the “Supercollider FAIL”. this seems to be related to the DAC and it seems to need a reflow in the pins. It seems to work OK sometimes when not in the case.

Until things get better i cannot be with my friend that is a wizard with the soldering iron therefore my development is stalled.

2 Likes

dang, well i’ll keep an eye out. after i posted that, i realized there was already something similar but i forget what it was now. im thinking torii maybe? but that is more linear and based on a rigid standard time-scale i think. not that there’s anything wrong with that, i just think a completely random cluster/particle type burst of trigs controlled by those two knobs would be perfect