Bitwig experiences?

And btw: Audiomulch is 32-bit only, with no signs of a pending update.

Seems like it’s coming slowly: https://twitter.com/RossBencina/status/1236197913337819136

3 Likes

Same here. Mid-2013 Macbook Air, latest Bitwig beta runs fine, but I’m not taxing it much. There are occasional crashes but Bitwig is fairly clever about isolating the problem: if a plugin crashes (generally due to that plugin being too much to handle, not Bitwig itself), only that plugin crashes, not all of Bitwig. Rather than quitting you out of the program, the audio engine is disabled. You can re-enable it with a click of a button after you remove the plugin that caused the problem, and you’re back in business.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at the 3.2 release notes and the new modes for jumping between layers in a selector look particularly exciting.

Some day I’ll actually crack open The Grid… some day. :laughing:

1 Like

The Grid is excellent :slight_smile:

A lot of people had problems with the update not recognizing ASIO devices. Running the installer again and choosing Repair fixes it though.

3 Likes

The micro-pitch device is going to make this week’s Disquiet Junto easier than it would’ve been in the software I was previously using… although I could just load up Kaivo or Aalto.

update post:
as i continue to learn about bitwig i’m more + more impressed. the whole modulator concept is absolutely brilliant.
i have the demo running smoothly on a win10 bootcamp partition on my 16" macbook pro (using asio4all), with a dell 24" touchscreen. the touch stuff is soooo nice. my only gripe is that there are quite a few actions (resizing some windows, adjusting warp markers, adding fades/cross-fades) that can only be performed with a “mouse-over” state, so not 100% mouse free.

4 Likes

I’ve begun to switch from Live to BitWig over time and it’s fantastic. Feels much more natural to me in its layout. And it’s proven to be so much more flexible. At some point I want to give these touch controls a shot on Apple SideCar. Not sure if it’ll work, but seems rad. Otherwise, it’s just got many of the tools I need and want. Really a blast. I’ve been using it on my desktop PC recently, just as a way of really pushing weight, so I can run my rack, BitWig and all the software I love. But if I’m just going to be rack only, having an iPad with touch controls next to the rack seems like a real possibility.

1 Like

Resizing certain views in Bitwig still needs some help.

3.2 is a sneakily amazing update, the Saturator and EQ+ devices are great, and the new Grid modules make the Grid environment a lot more useful.

3 Likes

Totally agree! Modulating an EQ+ is just magical.

2 Likes

I was on the search for a DAW to supplement renoise and ended up biting the bullet and buying bitwig while it’s on sale. no regrets. I was really surprised at how easy it was to figure out, I watched a 15 minute overview of the GUI on youtube and that was about it. I wish envelopes on audio events/time stretching had more control but hopefully that will come down the road. I really haven’t even been doing much with automation and the grid yet!

I continue to like Bitwig overall.

• I’ve had some trouble getting mouse-based scalling and (horizontal) navigation of the timeline to not be weird.
  • I’m having some trouble with the HW Clock device and suspect it’s not all that consistent—in any case Pamela’s New Workout is not favorably impressed; I’m having much better luck with a clock generated via the phase unit on Grid discussed here. (I have reported all this to the Bitwig folks.)
1 Like

one bitwig concept that has expanded my thinking about electronic music is their representation of clocking/timing as phase. defining the passage of time as a cyclical waveform (ie. linear = ramp wave) instead of measuring the amount of time between clock pulses (and then choosing to multiply/divide from there) is blowing my mind. such a wonderfully expressive way to visualize it.

bitwig’s “grid” has a bunch of modules to manipulate phase information. simply feeding an exponential phase curve to a gate sequencer is giving me lively dynamic rhythms that speed up and slow down, but remain “in the loop”. incredible!

perhaps this is an old concept? feels fresh to me :slight_smile:

16 Likes

“waveshaping the phasor” is definitely a powerful modality.

bute yeah, definitely something i associate with analog sequencers, though i guess it is not as universal in practice as it seems in my mental model.

e.g., don B didn’t think to add direct CV stage selection to sequencers until the 200 series AFAIK. but it’s been a constant feature since 1970 or so.

anyway it’s nice that bitwig allows that

8 Likes

I like that too – it’s basically CV-addressed sequencing, but from a different perspective which invites “phase distortion” of clocked sequences. :smiley: Not just looking up values, but also “bending” the rhythm of triggers and gates, etc.

“Pitch to Phase” is interesting too, a representation of pitch class as a phase value. You can do something like this to create your own scales (probably works best with macrotuning; trying to define a 34-note scale this way would probably be extremely awkward!)

Bend or Formant on the pitch “phase” also works well :smiley:

Also the new Array module uses two phase inputs for read and write positions in a buffer – lots of fun to be had there I think. I’ve barely scratched the surface of that one.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Bitwig Studio since v1 back in 2014 or so (I’ve written most of the Sound On Sound reviews). I think the only major room for improvement at the moment is file management: it doesn’t let you organise audio files and share them amongst projects with the same flexibility and clarity as Ableton Live. Some instruments (Grid, Sampler) are amazing; some (FM-4) could do with a bit of interface love.

I’ve not looked at the third-party integration with the Push 2 yet - though I doubt it’s as tight as Ableton provides. I’d also love a built-in wavetable synth: Ableton is winning on this.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Bitwig recently and I’m enjoying it a lot. The UI is very well judged and for me the combination of clip launcher and arranger is really flexible and useful for sketching up ideas. (I haven’t used Live in earnest but have used arranger focused DAWs such as Reaper and MPC which has a clip paradigm.)
I like the horizontal device chain visualisation and the use of the main panel for detailed views.
The modulation features are really great and very inspiring for sound design.
The Grid looks really powerful, but I hope it doesn’t take over the development cycles to much - some other things still feel a bit immature. It would be good to have an undo history for example. And to be able to rename midi devices. Sample stretching is comprehensive but quite involved - I would like to see a quick and dirty stretch option like alt-drag in Reaper on an audio item.

1 Like

How does it differ from the wavetable mode in the Sampler? I haven’t used Live beyond vague tinkering with the LE version that came with some controller I bought.

1 Like

Wavetable in Bitwig’s sampler doesn’t oversample afaik, so it gets aliasing artifacts. But the sampler module oversamples 4x in grid. I‘d be curious to hear what feature people would like from a dedicated wavetable device beyond workflow improvement over poly grid.

As far as my own feature wishlist, midi grid is probably still on top…

3 Likes