Blast Radio + Box Device

Is anyone using Blast Radio to broadcast?

I’ve always wanted to perform live in some capacity but nerves/anxiety have always stopped me from doing so. So in my case, being able to do this spontaneously, with a focus on quick, improvised, rough sketches etc, is a very exciting prospect.

5 Likes

yes i’m in love with the idea

i hate being seen
or creating videos to share music
or worrying about sample clearance

for now, blast is perfect for the multifaceted approach i wanna use for broadcasting sound

4 Likes

that’s really cool & there is a lot of synergy w/:

3 Likes

seek support from musicians you trust. for some people the first show is the worst, then they get over it. for others - even some professional musicians i know who perform in orchestras - the anxiety never goes away. my first show was with my band and we played to a packed venue. so it was high pressure but also high support. i still get anxiety sometimes, but to me it’s all about centering, practice, and finding people to help you work through your personal blocks.

14 Likes

Thank you.

I used to be a Hip Hop/Battle DJ in the late 80s.

I had no such issues back then, so I know it’s something i should be able to get over.

2 Likes

growth is not always linear :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nicely put.

I’ve never thought about it like that before.

Cheers : )

Hey, yeah I’m on there Luke Sanger (@lukesanger) is on Blast
It’s pretty early days at the moment as they’ve only recently launched, so would be good to find some more like minded people on there! I’ve just done a couple of broadcasts on it so far, but it’s a nice and low pressure way of sharing sounds and sketches.

The box is easy to use and you start streaming lossless audio (via wifi) to your profile with one button. I plan on trying some on location field recording and things, as the box is battery powered and can be tethered to a phone, which opens up some interesting possibilities! The audio is only publicly available for 24hrs, but it does save your file so you can retrieve it later on.

3 Likes

Just ordered the box.

I’ll create my profile when it comes but I’m so excited about this.

4 Likes

lmk when you’re playing so i can tune in

1 Like

Thank you.

Will do, if I’m not too nervous :grimacing: lol!

I’ve broadcast an impromptu test track. Made on my Mpc Live 2. Just testing out sounds and functions.

Very rough, crunchy but I like the vibe. In the style of early 90s B12 records. Made no attempt to edit notes, fx, structure. Just played in live with some basic track mutes.

1 Like

My earliest recordings were made using a radio transmitter in the headphone out of my mixer, dialing a boombox to the station, and recording the results onto cassette🙃

Edit- admittedly no “real” clue what I was doing, but it worked. Can’t recall if I was either too poor, or too green to realize the boombox had a mic input, and adapters existed? “My bandmate had a radio transmitter for some reason and I was in a teenage noise band” is the moral of this word-vomit. Thanks.

5 Likes

Gave it a try but had some techfail. The device fails when trying to make the bluetooth connection (not sure why it needs bluetooth if the thing is operating on wifi).

Tech support guy had me restart my router which worked for one test broadcast but then, without changing anything, the device failed in the same way when the time came for me to do the broadcast 10 mins later. 🤷 He mentioned there were known issues with some ISPs but mine (Spectrum) wasn’t one of them.

I’ll give it another try though.

On the upside: it has several amazing drones if you plug it into the laptop to charge the battery and connect the inputs to your laptop headphone jack.

yeah after some issues i pretty much stopped using the device in favor of the beta vst

2 Likes

Which kind of makes me wonder why do this instead of my usual podcast stuff via libsyn (I’d have to render & upload the file for the podcast so I guess that’s a little more effort).

They were cool though about reposting/retweeting my show. That was nice. Just wish I’d been able to do the broadcast.

2 Likes

i’m live for the next half hour if anybody wants to hear some tunes

4 Likes

Can I listen to this without a phone? Just on the laptop.

1 Like

you’ve found a flaw in the system
i thought surely…the answer can’t be no

but, it appears that listeners can only access a Blast show via their mobile app

1 Like

Aww bummer. Guess I’ll have to get the app then. Thanks!

1 Like