Blast Radio + Box Device

Is anyone using Blast Radio to broadcast?

I’ve always wanted to perform live in some capacity but nerves/anxiety have always stopped me from doing so. So in my case, being able to do this spontaneously, with a focus on quick, improvised, rough sketches etc, is a very exciting prospect.

5 Likes

yes i’m in love with the idea

i hate being seen
or creating videos to share music
or worrying about sample clearance

for now, blast is perfect for the multifaceted approach i wanna use for broadcasting sound

4 Likes

that’s really cool & there is a lot of synergy w/:

3 Likes

seek support from musicians you trust. for some people the first show is the worst, then they get over it. for others - even some professional musicians i know who perform in orchestras - the anxiety never goes away. my first show was with my band and we played to a packed venue. so it was high pressure but also high support. i still get anxiety sometimes, but to me it’s all about centering, practice, and finding people to help you work through your personal blocks.

14 Likes

Thank you.

I used to be a Hip Hop/Battle DJ in the late 80s.

I had no such issues back then, so I know it’s something i should be able to get over.

2 Likes

growth is not always linear :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nicely put.

I’ve never thought about it like that before.

Cheers : )

Hey, yeah I’m on there Luke Sanger (@lukesanger) is on Blast
It’s pretty early days at the moment as they’ve only recently launched, so would be good to find some more like minded people on there! I’ve just done a couple of broadcasts on it so far, but it’s a nice and low pressure way of sharing sounds and sketches.

The box is easy to use and you start streaming lossless audio (via wifi) to your profile with one button. I plan on trying some on location field recording and things, as the box is battery powered and can be tethered to a phone, which opens up some interesting possibilities! The audio is only publicly available for 24hrs, but it does save your file so you can retrieve it later on.

3 Likes

Just ordered the box.

I’ll create my profile when it comes but I’m so excited about this.

4 Likes

lmk when you’re playing so i can tune in

1 Like

Thank you.

Will do, if I’m not too nervous :grimacing: lol!

I’ve broadcast an impromptu test track. Made on my Mpc Live 2. Just testing out sounds and functions.

Very rough, crunchy but I like the vibe. In the style of early 90s B12 records. Made no attempt to edit notes, fx, structure. Just played in live with some basic track mutes.

1 Like

My earliest recordings were made using a radio transmitter in the headphone out of my mixer, dialing a boombox to the station, and recording the results onto cassette🙃

Edit- admittedly no “real” clue what I was doing, but it worked. Can’t recall if I was either too poor, or too green to realize the boombox had a mic input, and adapters existed? “My bandmate had a radio transmitter for some reason and I was in a teenage noise band” is the moral of this word-vomit. Thanks.

5 Likes

yeah after some issues i pretty much stopped using the device in favor of the beta vst

2 Likes

i’m live for the next half hour if anybody wants to hear some tunes

4 Likes

Can I listen to this without a phone? Just on the laptop.

1 Like

you’ve found a flaw in the system
i thought surely…the answer can’t be no

but, it appears that listeners can only access a Blast show via their mobile app

1 Like

Aww bummer. Guess I’ll have to get the app then. Thanks!

1 Like

just did my first session with vocals woven in!
probably not really special to most people but it was equally exhilarating/nerve wracking :slight_smile:

if you wanna hear my response to 6 or 7 submitted questions
check the link!

4 Likes

Wonderful interview and set, thanks so much! Cool hearing how you got into drums

The beats were beautiful! Amaaazing set :sauropod::whale:

1 Like