Blogging platforms

It starts slow at first, until you get to grasp the way it works for using different templates, but once you get it going, it’s really good.

I really like using Wagtail CMS - easy enough to get up and running thanks to good documentation. I built my own and a friend’s website around it and was very easy to explain the cms interface to the end user. https://wagtail.io/

For what its worth Github pages is well worth checking out for static sites

Is Go easy to grok? A couple of years ago I heard of people migrating to it for performance reasons, but then Node happened and I don’t really… understand what?

oh yes indeed ye olde https://nnnnnnnn.co is a tiny bit of html, sees love once a year or so…

3 Likes

I would not recommend self-hosting WordPress unless you’re willing to be very on top of security updates. WordPress is the most widely installed web platform in the world, and as such is a very common target for attacks and exploits. If you keep on top of your updates you’ll do fine, but as security updates are released, the vulnerabilities are announced, which gives attackers knowledge of what they can use against installations not yet updated.

Even if you are not storing any sensitive information, your install can be harnessed for link farming, use in a botnet, hosting illicit code, etc.

WordPress itself will host you with a custom domain for $5 a month. If you go the WordPress route, I would recommend this option.

1 Like

i’ve enjoyed using simple html for my personal & music websites.

considering making the move over to cargo collective

used wordpress and cargo before
i currently use indexhibit despite some frustration

it works well for me tho

@alanza, what are you wanting to do with said website?

from lessons learned from v1.0 of my portfolio, when I start over with v2.0 I’m probably going to hard code the whole thing then go through and add CMS

1 Like

Is Wordpress security much of a concern if you have no forms?

I’ve been using it for a few years having been on Drupal for years before that (neither for blogging) and have seen no great warning signs.

It’s going to host my, like, professional academic website and also a blog, I think.

1 Like

My partner works for a public institution and the mention of the word Drupal made me spit beer

1 Like

There’s always Ghost

5 Likes

Yes. Vulnerabilities aren’t strictly form-related; there are many avenues.

Platforms like WordPress and Drupal serve via an application layer, which means any insecure code in the core platform or in plugins is theoretically available to exploit. That’s fairly simplified, but more or less accurate. Do not run WordPress or Drupal yourself unless you are able to keep them updated.

“Static” sites typically use an application to generate the HTML/etc for a site. This is typically an application like Jekyll or Hugo, but it actually could be WordPress or Drupal provided you generate fully rendered HTML, and that is what the end user sees. In these cases, the only application the end user is interacting with is a web server - usually Apache or nginx - and so your only vulnerabilities would be in those web servers, which are well maintained and don’t have many vulnerable surfaces.

(I run a decent sized Drupal platform serving multiple sites for an internet company you have probably heard of.)

1 Like

Drupal has its issues but if you keep it up to date and know how to work with it it’s fine. It’s pretty much like Churchill’s democracy for the feature set it covers - best piece of shit we have.

Of course I may have Stockholm syndrome.

Also I’ve seen people use Jupyter notebooks posted to Github as a kind of way of blogging

2 Likes

I’m loving all the thoughts about how to host. Now how about for going and getting a domain name?

1 Like

Does Medium count as a blogging platform

1 Like

Personally I use Google Domains but I’m thinking of switching

Cool. Unless you expect to have dynamic content that responds to user information, this falls squarely into ‘static content’ territory, which means Jekyll or Hugo are good contenders, especially if you’re happy slinging code and working with git repos. GitHub pages may be a great zero-cost hosting option for you, but you can host static sites anywhere. I like Digital Ocean for relatively painless hosting.

WordPress is a much better editing experience at the expense of flexibility and personal ownership.

Don’t use Drupal unless you have very specific reasons for it :slight_smile:

3 Likes