Boardgames & tabletop games

Still the greatest and most tense!

I played Netrunner socially and competitively from 2016 until The Announcement.

Quite simply the most addictive substance I’ve come in contact with, particularly in terms of the ferocious pace at which it mutated my social life, sidelined other hobbies, and completely modified my internet use. Some of this was positive, other times it felt debilitating. When The Announcement came, I breathed a secret sigh of relief, stopped playing, and returned to music-making with more focus and discipline.

As someone I met through the game said as we sat across from each other, vacantly shuffling cards, “Netrunner … You can’t read books, you can’t play other games … you can’t watch TV.”

My group’s been playing online, with roll20.com for virtual maps and miniatures. We keep a second tab open with Google Hangouts, 'cause we found that to be more stable for the streaming conversation itself.

None of which is what you asked, I’d wager.

I played the original game and still enjoy it. Never got into the “second version”. Hopefully WotC or whatever corp runs the game will take it back to its much-more-interesting roots.

It’s taken over my life. Amazing.

I pretty much agree with everything you said there up until stopping playing, although having said that, since my gaming partner moved away and my wife is busy with events, games are far and few. I literally introduced it to a work friend Friday who is very keen to play weekly, will see how that goes.

I never played competitively but was very keen to begin but now with the The Announcement, i’m not sure what the future holds with that regards. WotC might do something that brings it to the masses, but I really like the Android universe.

It was funny how I started playing so much, I invited a music friend around to do something in the studio and remember saying to him, let me introduce this new game I have bought to you, as if we go into the studio we will never get to try it out. We never did get into the studio together, still until this day, which was years ago, yet we played sometimes twice a week until he moved away. Trying to get some Jinteki games going but I don’t just find it the same as sitting across the table from someone. My whole entry into games was to get away from computers.

Pleased to hear there are some ANR fans on here. Love the quote too, very, very true.

I hope WotC do something that takes it to another level. Really love the ANR version, but I would prefer something over nothing.

Some friends and I have been getting deeper into a Gloomhaven campaign the last few weeks. It’s been growing on me quite a bit (and I was already fond of it). Definitely recommended if you want an experience that is a little more structured than D&D but still has a lot of fiddly bits/knobs to turn to change your parties experience.

Out of curiosity, why does the end of expansions affect your potential enjoyment of it? There are an absurd number of cards with all of the existing cards. You could play casually till you turn to dust and probably not exaust things to try. :laughing:

I’ve got some netrunner cards but have never really had much opportunity to get it on the table. If any one in London ever wants a game - hit me up :slight_smile:

Oh your totally right it doesn’t much at all. I think I will play this game for a long long time and enjoy it in all its variations. I guess I was just thinking of a comment made my Steven from Team Covenant about WotC and what they might do could be exciting, but of course it will be different. Also, I quite enjoyed seeing how the game could have evolved with FFG especially considering the last expansion and data packs, but also how the MWL was getting pretty firm, which was great. Still, the game is incredible and I wont be stop running any day soon.

An issue is that, with the current “final” cardpool, the metagame is somewhat “solved.” Pitting two decks against each other which are of wildly different sophistication or maturity (some recent tournament decks have been ruthlessly tested and optimized over hundreds of games by groups of very smart people) can be really, really un-fun for one or both players. NetrunnerDB is like the ModularGrid of Netrunner, except that studying it actually provides more strategic benefit than shuffling Maths around a 104hp skiff.

Personally, I relied on a custom formula I derived from—if I recall correctly—sports betting to score my decks in preparation for a pending tournament. All of my practice games went to a fairly complex Excel spreadsheet.

At its core, Netrunner isn’t fair or balanced. It’s a massive, sprawling world of bizarre rules decisions, printing errors, errata, and complex timing structures. Some of the cards—a great deal of them—are extremely weak, and perhaps 5% are so obnoxiously good that once you know the secrets, you wouldn’t play anything else. There’s also a fairly problematic underlying rock-paper-scissors theme which only looms into focus, but only among people who have spent spent hundreds of hours understanding the mechanics.

Still, if both players are willing to take some self-imposed constraint (I have created a custom banlist, for example) or don’t have all the cardpool, or don’t follow the tournament results or snide, dismissive card reviews, there’s a ton of fun to be had. The rock-paper-scissors component can be easily worked around by ignoring some key cards, and you can just skip parts of the cardpool you find un-fun.

Netrunner is still the best game I’ve ever played, in any format. At its best, it results in the most insane, bet everything, hail mary, one last chance situations. And that’s just one half of the game. On the other side, the corporation player is dripping with sweat, hoping to draw your attention away from a lonely facedown card at the corner of the table, desperate to lure you into a trap that will end the game. It’s 6–6. Next point wins it. You have one action left and probably enough cash for one last run. What do you do?

We picked up Quoridor yesterday and had a blast last night after the wee one went to sleep. The mix of offense and defense to be played with the fences makes it very fun. Average game was around 10 minutes, which is nice because you can play a bunch of different permutations in one sitting.

I’d like to get a couple other folks involved… seems like it would be absolutely chaos with 4 players!

Speaking of roleplaying: played a session/scenario of Dialect last week and gosh, that was a thing. (Synopsis: Morningstar-esque narrative game, themed around language - and a language that will ultimately die. As the game progresses, players add to and shape their shared language, improvving scenes with it, until the end of the scenario and the death of the language. It’s really a thing).

I’ve always found it really difficult to find good Role Playing Games to watch online, but been really enjoying the recent Cyberpunk 2020 from the team at Playstation Access, very funny and excellent DM.

Sure. I get that. But again, he’s a causal player. I’d even suggest that even at the competitive level, there is a fair amount of design you could do to continue to enjoy the game as printed. You’ve identified a number of points yourself, and that’s leaving cubes off the table.

If all you care about is the besting people via tournaments, I get it. Netrunner loses its appeal when the scene dies with the game. That said there is so much game there, even among heavy players, there’s years and years of play left in what’s there.

I certainly get being disapointed in that loss, but it’s also not a TV show with an unresolved plot. The game is the same. There’s just so much to enjoy there, so I’m interested in how that disappointment affects enjoyment.

I’m a super casual player, but enjoy the game, and I have a backburner project of building a compact cube to play with.

Yeah, all good points.
I think where it comes to the top competitive play, and the desired outcome is overall winner, then I think, as you say, the puzzle approaches solved quite quickly without new cards added, rotation and errata. Having said that, I always enjoyed certain players more over the ultimate winners, don’t get my wrong, I enjoy it pretty much every player I have watched, but it was always players like Timmy Wong or Dave Hoyland that really stood out for me. I loved their style at the table and how they used everything to throw at the game, not just the cards but banter and body language, amazing.

I don’t mind the Psi games, although in moderation, I like how that changes things and completely messes with a strategy, as does the whole game, managing best we can the percentages of things in builds that bring us enjoyment. I think for me, it’s about those last few turns as you described, even if the on the loosing side, that energy and that last possible play and how often the game swings on a multi card access in the closer minutes of the game.

Even tho I have only played casually, our group have always played by the latest rotation, and followed a 35 minutes play time per game. As the pace of decisions increases and adrenaline kicks in…my word, it just constantly delivers amazing close out to games and lives up to be the most enjoyable game on the planet.

For me, although the puzzle might get solved by the pro’s, I am still yet to explore so much of the game. I’ve played for about a year solid and this last 6 months a little less due to finding it tricky to play against people, although sorting that out now. I managed to get two games in today with my wife, classic game with corp leading for the most of the game as I drew bad but finally found economy late game came back to 6-6 and then plucked the last 1 point to win. I think although no new cards and no new buzz from the community about new changes will be surely missed, I am sure I will continue to play for a long time and continue to introduce the game to new players. Even today another music friend bought a Revised Core Set and a work friend wanting to play regular after this weeks introduction, just shows how great the game is. In a way, I think for some, knowing there is no more new cards helps keep the limit on things, something perhaps Keyforge is looking at.

Yeah, Netrunner is a great design that gets people’s brains moving quickly. It’s very easy to imagine basic strategies quickly. It also facilitates very different play style pretty well for more casual players. As a new player, it lights up a lot of different parts of your brain.

There’s a good reason Fantasy Flight picked it up in the first place! :sparkles:

Even with “current” games it’s sometimes nice to get out of the loop! Long live Netrunner. I’ve recently been looking at good, obsolete TCGs from the last 10 years or so, some games you can buy new old stock, whole booster boxes of sealed cards for a few quid. Others, are stupid prices, obvs. Some games, are recent and still in print, although never played in game stores in the UK so stores are offloading stock. FutureCard Buddy Fight you can pick up a booster box for a tenner, and is amazing fun if you’re into Japanese hyperbole. The Nightmare Before Christmas is totally different to anything else I’ve played, and you can pick up a booster box for 20 quid.

Total change of topic, I played my first game of DreadBall Xtreme last night. It’s Bloodbowl, remade with more interesting game mechanics. Really enjoyed it!