"boku" by matt lowery

Hello, friends.

So, I’ve been working meticulously on a full-length LP for about 18 months. Upon turning that material in for mixing, I felt pretty drained and, quite frankly, a little bored.

So, I reached out to a few friends and decided to make an EP, start to finish, in four days. This is that project, and it’s called “boku”.

This project was very different for me. I let my subconscious take the wheel, and it was so much fun to see where it wanted to go. The music explores repetition in both nature and man-made instruments. It celebrates cycles, and gradual change over time.

The record is very much a spiritual companion to Murakami’s “Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World”, which I had inhaled the week before making boku. I won’t elaborate further here, as to avoid spoilers.

Also heavily influenced by dream sequences in Tarkovsky’s Stalker, and by this essay by Cormac McCarthy.

Thank you to @srogers91 , @n-So and BlankFor.ms for their excellent material.

@srogers91 played the plumbutter
@n-So played a drone on his Endorphines system
BlankFor.ms sent some delicious tape texture and tones

If you have any process or instrument questions, I’m here for it! For the most part, the record is field recordings, modular, double knot, plumbutter, ms-20, lyra-8, pulsar 23, norns (specifically flora), and coors banquet.

edmond
cashion (feat. @n-So )
boku
watashi (feat. @srogers91)
kekulé (feat. BlankFor.ms)

mastered by @taylor12k
the cover photo was captured by easton oliver

Download codes

ang8-6awq

rak2-y7dt

vh3b-76yg

6ex5-5knu

krc9-u8qq

nmhu-ef6t

mgex-ua97

9trs-jngv

3nms-yen9

558e-b75z

86zb-wvng

tn2m-cy5u

tam6-hr7p

xvrk-unql

hgv2-jm6e

h2ba-kg8u

qlvb-67uq

fcg5-yvmz

5huf-7kyg

gqwv-e9nu

48 Likes

I used this code, very psyched to hear this!

Thanks Matt!

Ed

1 Like

xvrk-unql

thanks for the code! excited to listen!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing it with us :slight_smile: I used this code ^

1 Like

Used this one. Thank you!

1 Like

Used this one. Thanks so much! Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Used this code.
Thanks for sharing!
Looking forward to listening to this!

1 Like

Used this one. Thank you so much for sharing, looking forward to soaking this up over the next couple days!

1 Like

I very much enjoyed my first listen! Excited to read that Cormac McCarthy essay too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this one!

1 Like

I am super excited to listen to this recording and thank you for sharing these codes so generosly!

2 Likes

Used. Excited. Thanks.

1 Like

You should know that the track “kekule” is, for the most part, flora into a reverb pedal :grinning:. So thank YOU!

2 Likes

I am going to wait to listen to the recording before I read what I think you may have just written. :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: the ep is incredibly lovely and listening to the track with flora was a special treat for me.

am i correct that you did some sound processing with the lyra’s delay effect? i was reminded of sounds i’ve exploring with the nlc delay no more module.

1 Like

Used:
6ex5-5knu

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Thanks for this code !

1 Like

Yeah Matt! 20 chars of thanks!!!

1 Like

Thank you all for listening. It means a lot to me.

2 Likes

I used this one.
Really neat. Thank you.

1 Like

I will save this EP for when I Read that Murikami book. Been saving it for the right moment!

2 Likes