Books! What are you currently reading or just finished?

ok thanks! i prefer print too so will order it asap

1 Like

retracing my steps

4 Likes

Currently this. One of my favorite musicians.

6 Likes

I am reading through the dark tower series by stephen king
wonderful imagination

I also started (but got too engrossed by dark tower) momo and the neverending story by micheal ende

I just got African Rhythm and African Sensibility by John Miller Chernoff

also just got the book of frank by jim woodring

and a little while ago I got chris ware’s jimmy corrigan this is reading for a very specific mood

a lot of these recommendations will get added to this list thank you all

3 Likes

Still trudging through the John Cage letter collection along with Jean Baudrillard’s ‘America’ and the Momofuku cookbook. I think I need some fiction after this run.

1 Like

Some seriously next level stuff here. If you’re into alternative everything and love fashion (even just a little bit) this is going to be super interesting to you. I loved it!

1 Like

I’m also interested in this book, would be great if you let us know what you think when reading it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Jim Woodring is simply magic.
And I know what you mean about Jimmy Corrigan. I mean…I KNOW it’s a genius work. I know that. But that’s also what’s stopping me from just blasting through it. Each panel, and how it relates to each previous panel is just so beautiful that I feel that if I read it like every other comic (by blasting through it) that I’m going to miss out…but I’m missing out by sitting on my hands and not doing it. Maybe the trick is to just say “self, you’re going to have to read this book at least three times in succession.” and then that’ll solve my problem.
(Also, he’s a smidge misogynistic…I recall something right at the beginning–like a paragraph or so–saying women aren’t smart enough to appreciate graphic novels…or something like that. Boooooooo.)

2 Likes

just from the sounds of it “notable american women” seems like something similar to james joyce’s finnegans wake is there any truth to this?

Currently reading:

Second book in the series beginning with:

I loved The Fifth Season, it’s been a while since I’ve read a story written in the second person, and I think her world-building is just fantastic.

2 Likes

From what I know of Finnegans Wake (because I haven’t actually read it)…that one’s pretty impenetrable because each word means three different things and it’s in different languages. Notable American Women is understandable but non-transmittable. The nearest thing I can think of to it would be the beginning of Melancholia (the movie), where there are scenes that give you glimpses of what their society is. In order to explain the scene with Sarsgaard and his worker at the beginning I’d have to set up so much that it becomes un-transmittable. It’s very specific in that way. And because he’s a great writer the words are not just descriptions of this reality but written as from that reality.

edit: I guess I’m saying Notable American Women is not stream of consciousness writing or mimicking it.

1 Like

wow I’ll have to pick that one up for sure it sounds wonderful

1 Like

https://books.google.fr/books/about/The_Technological_Bluff.html?id=kKrZAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

very interesting point of view on the relationship between men and techniques, although I found it a little “extreme” at times

First book I read from Kafka, it took me some time to get into it but when I got caught I just couldn’t let go …

Just finished vol 4, can’t wait to get my hands on the next one

5 Likes

Leaving the Sea by Ben Marcus. Most stories are more straight ahead than Notable American Women (though the story The Father Costume is more in line with it and that’s where I’m up to so far) BUT my favorite one so far has been just a very clever “regular” story. And I find it really easy to read a book of short stories too. Digestible.

2 Likes

Switching gears. Needed to turn inwards for a bit.

2 Likes

John Cage - Silence: Lectures and Writings (I’m Italian, my copy is translated) :wink:

15 Likes

(dutch translation from “Wherever you go, there you are”)

4 Likes

Been really into John Gray recently:

I’ve also been revisiting this beast:

http://llllllll.co/t/why-you-hear-what-you-hear-eric-heller/4887

2 Likes

1 Like

4 Likes