Books! What are you currently reading or just finished?

I’m reading several books simultaneously: a biography of W. A. Mozart, the CS Lewis/Narnia series to my 8 year old, Greg Bear’s “War Dogs”, and a book about the history of the violin simply called “Violin”

I found this today in my favorite local bookstore.

I went to a local vinyl/book store here in Porto called Materia Prima and found something pretty special. (If you’re in town I encourage you to go. There’s some very interesting stuff in there!) So the book I picked up is called Samplerman Fearless Colors, and the artist basically takes comic book elements and Annihlates™ them.

A few pages below so you can see what I mean. I’ve always LOVED the flat color that you used to find in comics, that retro look. Though I really like some of the more over the top 90s stuff too (I’m fascinated by Rob Liefeld’s “terrible” art, for instance!)
But check out Samplerman:

images

Unknown

sampl3

I hear you they’re both quite a trip. This one is also worth a look, short stories so not quite as much of a time investment:

I’ve moved on to other topics, this was very enjoyable to read:

Still making my way through The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I’m about 300 pages into the third book and it’s fantastic:

And I’m about 200 pages into George Lewis’ incredible book on the A.A.C.M. This book has been immensely inspiring in so many ways. Highly recommended for those interested in improvised music, presenting concerts, policy creation and institutional racism.

Thank you!
Will look for french translations.
Just for info, there is a theater adaptation of 2666, touring in France.
http://www.lechermoncoeur.fr/2666.html
As big as the book: 12 hours of show!

planning on spending a few days in Porto later this year, will definitely check this place out!

The George E. Lewis book is great. The last days I thought about reading it again

currently a bit over halfway though “object-oriented ontology” by graham harman:
and dipping into “in the holocene”, a collection of essays/plates released alongside an exhibition of the same name:

both have been really eye-opening and really rich in art ideas etc.

I’ve also been re-reading ‘green mars’ because I adore it:
Green_Mars_UK_New

“The Travels of Leo of Rozmital Through Germany, Flanders, England, France, Spain, Portugal and Italy 1465-1467”

Mad crazy stuff goes down in the 1400s, fam.Chapters alternate between two dudes who accompanied Rozmital on the travels, TETZEL and SCHASECK. Probably the 2nd best book I have read this year.

SCHASECK even gets captured by sea-robbers.

Is it non-fiction? After a little cursory search, it looks like it’s a difficult one to track down. I don’t want you to go out of your way too much, but if it’s close by would you mind taking a pic of the beginning of a chapter just so I can see the writing style? That time period is pretty crazy and I’d like to learn more about it, so this might be a good book to start that with.

Non-fiction. The writing is surprisingly entertaining. Sort of a middle ages “On the road.”

ISBN = 9781409414742
Amazon link = https://www.amazon.com/Travels-Rozmital-Flanders-Portugal-1465-1467/dp/1409414744/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8&me=

fantastic! thank you

Not a book - and perhaps only of interest to uk people (but i dont know, maybe not) but Andrew O’Hagans very long article on the Grenfell tower fire in the London Review of Books was really excellent. Completely overturns a lot of assumptions and myths.

even gets a great dig in at Lilly Allen.

Halfway through. Simple story on the surface.

heavyweight poetry by anne-marie capellano

Currently reading:

OCEAN OF SOUND by David Toop — very poetic and intelligent meditation on the subject of Ambient Music

I’ll have to look for that one. I enjoyed “Haunted Weather”, and then confused some other author with him and thought I had read almost all of his work. Not even close :slight_smile:

A copy of this just arrived from Alibris, so it’s next in my queue after the Toussaint book:

@Starthief I’ve read the Kraftwerk biography – get’s a little gossipy at points but overall it’s pretty entertaining.

Also very excited for the CAN biography that’s just about to come out:

(especially because I’ve been on a big Holger Czukay kick lately – CINEMA, the box set of his work that came out a few months back, is pretty insane and comes with a DVD of a super tripped out German TV movie he starred-in in the mid-80’s).

I recently finished Talking Music by Duckworth, which was a fascinating set of interviews with experimental composers like Pauline Oliveros, Steve Reich, John Cage, and Philip Glass. I particularly enjoyed the discussions on minimalism, but all of the interviews were interesting and pleasant to read.

I’m currently reading On Some Faraway Beach, a biography of Brian Eno. It’s fairly dramatic, but very enjoyable and well-written. I was thinking I might try to find a physical copy of A Year With Swollen Appendices, but it seems to be very expensive now, so I may have to go digital, instead.