Books! What are you currently reading or just finished?

I am about halfway through Gnomon and am taking a break. The first half of the book moves at a fantastic pace and reminded me of his previous works, all of which I loved. ( I especially recommend Angelmaker) But all the self referencing from the first half seems to have turned into a bit of a sticky spider web.

Karl Marx, Das Kaptital/Capital, currently reading the first book and it’s surprisingly relevant still. It would be interesting to know if someone has looked at how Marx ideas would apply to the digital economy. Trying to have that thought in mind while reading but I guess I’m not the person to draw the conclusions.

really enjoying Paul Beatty’s ‘slumberland’ so far. Quite a well informed musical theme and Beatty has a really great wit. Started reading this after being wowed by ‘the sellout’ which felt like a hugely poignant piece of almost documentary or satirical writing about race politics in the US.

I read The Buried Giant earlier this year and loved it.

tao lin is making me re-watch numerous terrance mckenna lectures. this is great:

I read this a while ago, but the stories about their childhood and adolescence together were stories I had never heard Terence tell in all those years. Really illuminating alternative perspective. Dennis may not have Terence’s mind bending charisma, but he is an excellent story teller.

True Hallucinations was my intro to the McKennas in 1993. This bookends that story nicely.

Finally getting around to reading Dhalgren (only been on the bookshelf for, ohhhhhh ~15 years?).

Also currently reading: Rebel Rank and File: Labor Militancy and Revolt from Below During the Long 1970’s (highly recommend)

Latino City: Immigration and Urban Crisis in Lawrence, Massachusetts, 1945-2000 (used to live in Lawrence, doing day labor via Labor Ready. Most histories i’ve come across focus on the Bread and Roses strike, so very excited to find something on more recent years)

Every 5 or so years, I tuck back into some classic Angela Davis. There is literally never a bad time to read Women, Race & Class. To my mind, it should be required reading for everybody in the U.S. at the least.

New to the forum, but an old friend to books. I’m reading Noise - Jaques Attali, which is exciting but still hungover from Maggie Nelson’s The Argonauts

Have you read Bluets? It is wonderful.

+1 Bluets and Dhalgren (sci-fi Gravity’s Rainbow?)

found a copy of Le Guin’s Always Coming Home. only about 60 pages in but I can already tell it’s unlike anything I’ve ever read. will need to pick up that accompanying Barton/Le Guin reissue now.

I just ordered it (library was all out of copies) and I am eagerly awaiting its delivery. I have high hopes for it because Argonauts was stunning.

As in, books people name drop that I’m convinced nobody has read? :wink:

I just started reading The Left Hand Of Darkness after just finishing the full Earthsea series, which were my first intro to Le Guin (late to the party, as always). Not quite getting immersed in it quite as easily just yet, but I think it’s also partially due to the fact that I haven’t devoted as much time to reading in the past few weeks since starting it. It’s a little heady and filled with many characters for that kind of reading, especially with a short term memory as bad as mine! But I know everyone seems to love it.

Be patient with it. Left Hand of Darkness is simultaneously pretty dense and lyrical compared to a lot of Le Guin’s other work. I think that is what makes the book so incredible, but there’s a lot to keep track of, especially compared to the mostly very direct narratives of Earthsea.

Basically, you’re not alone. :slight_smile:

I just read “A Confederacy Of Dunces,” and I thought it was a great book.

I don’t normally read fiction, but this had been on my list of suggested books, and I’m really glad I dug in.

Books read in June. I’d recommend the one by GG the most.

Graphic novels:

Alone by Christophe Chabouté

I’m Not Here by GG

Red Winter by Anneli Furmark

The Hellblazer Vol. 3: The Inspiration Game, written by Tim Seeley and Richard Kadrey, illustrated by Jesús Merino and Davide Fabbri

Novel (non-graphic)

Autonomous by Annalee Newitz

Needed something short so I could start into something new for some vacation time, so re-reading Iain Banks’ Canal Dreams. It’s not one of his better works but it’s been a long time since I read it.

eventually, it will become very focused on a very small number of characters. it is a character study that begins as a political drama with the requisite large cast list. (But also: it’s one of the surprisingly few characters that imagines there might be… more than one country on a planet that is not Earth!)

I just finished Mindy Kaling’s second book, “Why Not Me?”. Her first book, “Is Everyone Hanging Out with Me (And Other Concerns)”, is funnier, but I really enjoy her as a writer and I’m glad I read this second one as well. It’s just silly/funny stories about her life and a few essays, but I found myself laughing out loud in a way I hadn’t ever really done with any other author before.

Just finished Amsterdam, a Brief Life of the City by Geert Mak. Delightful, accessible history of one of my favourite cities. Made all the better last week for this inventory of items found in an Amsterdam canal.

Now on to Grand Hotel Abyss.

Annihilation and Fire and Fury kind of kicked off a sci-fi/horror/dystopia streak for me.

I’m currently reading Slade House by David Mitchell. I’m really enjoying it, despite its (purposefully) repetitious nature. It’s a lot quicker and lighter than his other books (except maybe Black Swan Green). I’ve read three of the chapters, and he’s done a great job of capturing a different voice in each section.

I’ve been working my way through a lot of the SCP stories (http://www.scp-wiki.net/). It’s an open anthology that involves the classification of anomalous objects, kind of like a combination of Pokemon and Lovecraft. There’s some real crap in there, including a recent story that had a lot of controversy and drama due to unsavory politics, but that’s a danger of having open contributions.

The absolute best mini-series that I’ve read so far is The Antimemetics Division (http://www.scp-wiki.net/antimemetics-division-hub). It deals with the concept of anti-memes. Real-life examples include passwords, long equations/numbers, and other information that is difficult to propagate. These stories involve anomalies that purposefully obscure themselves from researchers.

One of the funnier ones is SCP-914 (http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-914), which is about a transmutation machine with multiple settings. Be sure to click “Experiment Log 914” at the bottom, which leads to a page filled with many more tests.