Books! What are you currently reading or just finished?

After having finished the Wheel of Time series last year, I needed a new epic fantasy series. After much recommendation, I’ve started the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson and am currently reading Memories of Ice. I have an hour commute each way and have been captivated by the audiobooks.

Oh, I might have to pick this up. Elmore and Easley both lived (still live?) in rural Kentucky too ha. Growing up, the ridiculous art of RPGs was a big part of my life. For better and worse :slight_smile:

Currently:
Myth of the machine - Lewis Mumford
Modernity and the holocaust - zigmunt bauman

Finished recently some essays + memoirs found in a bathtub by Stanisław Lem.

To read: crashed - Adam tooze
Machine dreams - Philip mirowski
Mistaken identity - asad haider
Social reproduction theory - edited by tithi bhattacharya

Also reading a bunch of python/r/machine learning books for school.

Just finished reading this last weekend – a (somewhat trashy) enjoyable romp in the vein (woof, no pun intended) of Burrough’s Junky or Jack Black’s You Can’t Win.

The protagonist(???)'s attitudes towards women was a bit disturbing/distracting, but I ultimately enjoyed it. That said, I’m not sure I’d really recommend it.

Easy read though, and read’s a lot like the great smack novels. Kinda.

I just finished 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. Its one of the best bits of sci-fi I’ve read in ages. So good that I’m having trouble finding something good to follow it…

Oh cool, might check that out. I enjoyed Spin, but haven’t looked at his other books.

Ooh I don’t know Spin so I’ll have to check it out. I’ve read Red Mars and it was good, but it gets kinda political and is a future imagined not far away. 2312 is set further away in the future, so it’s kind of more imaginative, less political and a good read I thought. I’ll keep an eye out for Spin.

Do you mean Spin by Robert Charles Wilson?

Yes! My mistake. Getting the double-barreled science fiction writers confused…!

I just finished The Songlines, which was fine, although noticeably aged in some of its description of Indigenous traditions and lifestyle – things have changed a lot in the last thirty years, but not enough to be proud of. I know people have their issues with Chatwin, and I understand them, I was just curious to read this as I’d heard it spoken about for many years, and I went in knowing the stories would be embellished or at least partially fabricated… you can tell.

Having finished that, I’ve just started Pachinko, which I picked up after hearing the author, Min Jin Lee, on BBC Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoying it so far, although I’m only about a hundred pages in. I know very little about late 19th century/early 20th century Japanese or Korean history, so that side of it is really interesting to me.

His New York 2140 is a good book to follow that one with. They have interesting things in common, even though 2140 is much closer to home, temporally speaking.

I’ve used tensor flow a bit at work. But I want to dive deeper. Also my nsynth super PCB came in from China. I would love to have some of it’s functionality on norns. But for now I think it will be an awesome project.

Thanks, I will definitely try and get a copy.

What do you do for work? I’m in school to learn some data-y stuff, but still in the first semester where we focus entirely on statistics and information systems. I’m just starting to get into some of the more advanced stuff on my own, but I didn’t start learning any programming until a couple months ago.

Software development, mainly defect recognition software for CT data.

I got this a couple of Christmases ago. I might read it one day, but I struggle with anything that isn’t sci-fi…

This book has been glaring at me from the ‘to read’ shelf for a while.

Makers of the Microchip: A Documentary History of Fairchild Semiconductor

Christopher Lécuyer and David C. Brock

it’s so good and is a quick/easy read, and doesn’t need to be read linearly or all at once. You’ll probably find yourself taking a lot of breaks to make music, and that’s a good thing :slight_smile:

Just finished - a fun, quick read. Didn’t realise it’d been turned into a film, so now have to watch that too!