Bowery: a crow collection

Longer scripts were pretty flaky with pre v1.0.0 firmware, so hopefully folks will have better luck after updating. I’m pretty sure Ornithopters wouldn’t have even worked with the r command in druid before 1.0.

1 Like

ah ok

sorry if i came across as kinda forceful…my crow is still enroute so i haven’t tested any of these

just reading the code and it seemed like it will be fun

1 Like

not forceful at all! Glad to hear it looks exciting to you!

2 Likes

Wow! Just a question: if I wanted to add scale quantization to shiftregister.lua, would it be very difficult?

1 Like

i’m having severe issues with shiftregister.lua: it seems that it can’t properly track and output pitches; it’s playing just friends (via i2c) severely detuned. not sure if the issue is the script, crow, just friends, or ansible/kria.

steps to reproduce:

1. load & run shiftregister.lua on crow.
  2. connect JF outs to mixer; either all six N outs, or mix out. (result will be the same either way). set JF to sound/transient. set JF knobs to something like a plain filtered sine-ish sound; no wild FM or harsh timbres.
  3. setup a sequence of notes within ansible kria. for my test scale, i just used two whole, whole steps, and left the other note slots empty. only root, major 2, major 3.
  4. patch ansible cv/pitch out to crow input 1, and patch any desired gate/trig source to crow input 2. i’ve used kria and teletype pulses; same results.
  5. listen as JF plays the kria notes sent via crow i2c.
  6. result: severely detuned, drifting, repeatedly off-key as time goes on.

attached is an audio clip. this issue has made shiftregister.lua completely unusable for me.

i’m not sure if the crow script is/isn’t doing something, or if just friends is drifting somehow and unable to play the correct pitch, or if ansible kria is unable to output a stable v/8 voltage.

crow-jf-asr-detune.mp3:

further testing:

1. send only one unchanging kria note into crow input 1, letting JF/JT repeatedly play that same note over i2c
  2. switch JF over to regular RUN mode oscillator, sound/sustain
  3. patch crow output 1 (the first delayed asr) to JF v/8 input
  4. result: tiny, but audible rise in pitch from JF; it goes slightly sharp as long as it is physically patched. unplugging the v/8 cable at the crow output 1 end…immediately slides the frequency back down to “base” from i2c.

addendum: the pitched-up-detune-while-plugged issue is present with every oscillator i’ve tried so far; not only JF. crow’s outputs are noticeably sharp.

Not sure if this might be the issue:

If I understand the script correctly, all ASR outputs are updated simultaneously after a trig in.

EDIT: Can’t wait to try the scripts! My crow is still on its way…

yeah, that was one of the first things i read. that thread deals with max4live and norns, so i’m not sure how to fix it in shiftregister.lua. also, even slowing down the incoming clock, so that JF doesn’t have to deal with and generate so many rapid notes, doesn’t help.

the slightly off-pitch issue is also present in JF sound/sustain when physically patched; though not nearly as severe as in sound/transient over i2c. it’s also present when using mangrove and other oscillators, so i think crow’s outputs aren’t precisely tracking the original pitch.

@ioflow - It might be worth trying to delay the sampling after the trigger just a tiny bit to see if that helps. Perhaps the pitch is still rising or falling when that occurs.

2 Likes

Lorenz Attractors on crow! Chaotic, slow LFOs… plug 'em in to your vector scopes for pretty patterns, or use them as slowly-evolving LFOs!

:slight_smile:

23 Likes

@voidstar The Lorenz could open up a can of worms for the vector synthesis crowd - great idea

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Less concepts

This example illustrates one quantizing method, including a continuous output (plus a trigger output on note change) and clocked versions.

13 Likes

@ioflow, have you found a resolution for the pitch tracking on shiftregister? I am experiencing the same issue with Kira providing the triggers and pitch information.

Use crow to easily generate Euclidean Rhythms!

17 Likes

Oh fantastic! I can see this besing super fun triggering jf in plume mode or hitting 4 lpg’s. As I’m not a coder I was thinking it may be nice to change the rhythm patters with cv into input 2 and have the whole thing reset when the clock is stopped? Just an idea but it would be really cool to have!

Even though you may not currently do much text-based coding (modular is its own form of “coding” on some level - i.e. systems thinking), I think this would be a really good project for you to try if you want - happy to help guide!

Also, thanks to the I2C functionality, you don’t need to physically patch crow’s outputs to JF’s inputs - you could set up separate ERs and use those to trigger JF via i2c while the hardware jacks run their own rhythms (or do something totally different) - again, happy to help you with this if you want to try yourself! Would be a great jumping in point.

3 Likes

Super cool script! Had some fun with it this afternoon!

3 Likes

not yet; the issue is still present. however, it has been addressed by @dan_derks and @Galapagoose. there are workarounds, and there may be a permanent solution in a future crow firmware update.

3 Likes

Was this ever resolved? I just tried uploading shiftregister.lua for the first time (with newest crow firmware) and had the same tuning issues.

I would also love a way of playing JF as a pseudo-poly synth (à la rings with overlapping envelopes) by patching v/8 & trigs to crow - think shiftregister.lua without the shift register! I’m guessing this wouldn’t be too hard, but am unsure where to start as I don’t know the first thing about lua - or writing scripts in general for that matter.

Maybe everything I need for this is already in the shiftregister script, so all that is needed is some tactical redaction?

Edit: just saw the scripting guide and it looks more approachable than I expected. Really appreciate all the work behind this documentation. Will have to give it a go when I find some time!

3 Likes

Try this out.
input 1 = gate
input 2 = v/oct

jfs.lua (554 Bytes)

8 Likes