Buoys v1.2.0

fantastic demo. I feel like I’m hearing some softcut-ish pitching stuff going on, but I don’t see that mentioned in the docs. Is that part of what’s going on in your demo video too?

Buoys will be buoys :joy: nicely done!

2 Likes

would be amazing to get visualization of the tide rolling by on the norns screen, loving this script!

1 Like

Perfect - that worked perfectly, and I’m now listening to – and watching, for that matter – the sound of 606 samples washing through the waves. Incredible stuff!

@SPIKE sorry to hear about the crash. Happened to me a few times in development and I never was able to pin down exactly what happened, but I’ll keep hunting. And please everyone keep letting me know if this happens and what you were doing with the app at the time.

@jlmitch5 thanks! Yes the pitch shifting effects are referred to in the docs as rate modulation (there’s no time stretching in softcut so the two move in tandem). In the demo there was some rate modulation on the buoy in the bottom right, which had already been pitched up two octaves from the original piano snippet.

@24Franks I was working on that a while back, I spent a bunch of time trying to make it look really good and at a certain point I had to walk away because it was distracting me from proceeding with building out the main functionality. But now that this is out, I certainly hope to revisit that at some point.

@DoS glad to hear it!

2 Likes

I had this happen on the first run through; I added a sixth or seventh piling, maybe the third added on the first row of the grid, and the script locked, but kept playing. (Norns Shield with 1 Launchpad Mini Mk3 emulating the left-hand side of a 128 grid via midigrid).

The second attempt has been fine so far - I’ll try adding more pilings and see what happens. Edit: added five pilings for a total of 9 and 7 buoys and the Norns locked up until restarted by Maiden.

all cool!
of course i didn’t have maiden open when the crash happened.
argh…

anyhow…
i was able to get back up and running and wove it into last night’s session!
this is Buoys running on two norns with some additional warping from @dan_derks Cheat Codes and a few other noiz weapons:

7 Likes

had a great time this morning, love how organic Buoys feels/sounds/looks

5 Likes

@SPIKE and @24Franks thanks so much for sharing those, I can’t tell you how great it is to hear this thing being used for actual music-making already! I couldn’t have asked for two more different demos and yet both sounded awesome.

I’ve updated the README with some more fleshed out descriptions of parameters and such, please everybody let me know if there’s anything you’d like me to cover better/differently. I’ll be working on some video introductions/tutorials in the near future.

3 Likes

thank you for the amazing script and for listening to the noiz!
:stuck_out_tongue:

so…
i think there is an issue with the new OS update: 201023

i loaded it onto one norns and now i can’t place any buoys or pilings.
i also can’t get to the meta screen.

• the water is moving across the grid.
  • the arc is acting properly and controlling the movement and direction of the water
  • tried a reboot from SLEEP
  • same results

i just noticed something…
i opened maiden and this pops up when i press buttons on the grid:

Summary

lua: /home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/_grid.lua:31: attempt to index a nil value (global ‘fn’)
stack traceback:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/_grid.lua:31: in function ‘core/grid.key’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:191: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:187>
lua:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/_grid.lua:31: attempt to index a nil value (global ‘fn’)
stack traceback:
/home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:191: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/grid.lua:187>
lua:
/home/we/dust/code/arcologies/lib/_grid.lua:31: attempt to index a nil value (global ‘fn’)
stack traceback:
lua:
stack traceback:

is it attempting to use something from @tyleretters arcologies script?

i fired up a second norns that is still on OS 200712 and Buoys acts as it should.

It’s working fine for me on 201023 on a Norns Shield (with midigrid, for what it’s worth) with buoys and pilings placing OK (sometimes placing pilings in row 1 causes the Norns to crash though; I’m going to try some more tests with this next time I run the script to see what happens).

However, I’ve noticed traceback code similar to the example you posted too, even while it’s been working.

you’re sure those weren’t already in the log?

Just put up v1.0.1, this fixes the bug where putting a piling in the first column causes the app to lock up. Thanks for the bug reports @DoS!

There may still be other sources of lockups which I’ll continue looking into.

2 Likes

Tested and working for me - thanks!

I don’t have grid so whatever, i just came here to say that i really appreciate this kind of conceptual work people do with norns. Keep at it! :ocean:

4 Likes

i generally never have maiden open unless i have to.
in this instance i cleared the script and restarted norns with maiden open.

those messages started popping up when i pushed the buttons on the grid starting with an empty maiden screen.

@SPIKE are you still unable to get it working on the new OS version? I tried updating my norns and I wasn’t able to reproduce the issues you described. buoys doesn’t use anything from arcologies, but I tried to reproduce that as well by loading up arcologies and then buoys, and haven’t seen much of anything in maiden yet. Perhaps an obvious suggestion but I have to ask: any possibility plugging/unplugging the grid makes a difference?

weird…
leave it to me to find the super random bug. hah!
ok…
i just booted up the entire system for the day and launched Buoys.
of course it’s now behaving.

the report from maiden looked like this when i started the script:

Summary

script init

lua: /home/we/dust/code/buoys/buoys.lua:1176: attempt to index a nil value (global ‘buoy’)
stack traceback:
/home/we/dust/code/buoys/buoys.lua:1176: in function </home/we/dust/code/buoys/buoys.lua:1173>
lua: /home/we/dust/code/buoys/buoys.lua:1176: attempt to index a nil value (global ‘buoy’)
stack traceback:
/home/we/dust/code/buoys/buoys.lua:1176: in function </home/we/dust/code/buoys/buoys.lua:1173>
stack traceback:
stack traceback:
stack traceback:
stack traceback:

but it did crash on me after placing 8 buoys and 11 pilings.
i am using the old 909 default drum folder that is on norns.
also…
the only other adjustments i made were changing the angle of the water.

i sent norns a ;restart from maiden.
started Buoys again and placed 7 buoys and 10 pilings.
seems happy!
it’s running on EXT MIDI clock and reacting to MIDI start and stop as well.
i’m leaving it running for a while.
:slight_smile:

one more question…
is there a suggested sample length limit?
or does it not make a difference.

some of the samples i used in the session the other night were kind of long and it didn’t seem to have a problem.
Buoys was probably running for well over an hour that night.

@SPIKE when you had the crash today, were you running the latest version? I fixed an issue this morning which I believe may have been the source of all the crashes described so far, so it would help me to know if this is a new issue. Regarding the errors you shared in the stack trace - I figured out what’s going on with those and I’ll fix it in the next release, but it’s non-critical. Regarding sample length limits, the limit on the total length of all sounds loaded is the size of a softcut buffer, which is approximately 349 seconds (softcut.BUFFER_SIZE), though I leave a little space between them so it might be a bit less if many samples are loaded.

EDIT: By the way buoys is now available in the maiden project manager so you can automatically update to the latest version there.

3 Likes

ah!
i missed that there was an update!
updating right now before tonight’s session.

thanks for the info on the sample size!