Cables (for modular synths)

Oh, had no idea about those problems. they feel so sturdy! had most of mines for two years now without any issue.

the most important thing I need to keep remembering me is to not pull the cable but the plug, but that’s with any cable isn’t it…

I’m going to DIY a few 1 jack to 2/3 jack cables one of these days.

[quote=“sandy, post:14, topic:2976”]
I prefer patching with bananas in general.
[/quote]nothing compares

at all

I should rant about this on the UX thread but ever since I used bananas there has not been a single time during a session with other cables that I didn’t wish for the simplicity and functionality of banana plugs at some point

3 Likes

has anyone seen small Y shaped “split cables”? i think it would be nice to have something for shorter cable lengths… i love my 4" control cables <3

erthenvar IV cables let you create your own Y-splits. most reports say the IVs are pretty stiff, though.

They are pretty stiff, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing with the short ones.

Tried those IV cables - not sure I’m a fan either. At this point, a DIY passive mult box built into a pedal enclosure is where I’m gonna go.

I would say about %90 of my cables in use are stackables. The remaining portion are super long cables for connecting most distant points between the cases, OR connecting to mixer or external equipment.

I got so used to stackable functionality, that I can’t imagine working without them. I am too intersted in cross-modulation, and signals playing multiple roles/functions within a given piece…
Something about this pulls me in. A deeper sense of underlying integrity, even when it leads to seemingly chaotic outcomes. A deeply interconnected, networked flow of signals.

Stackables make this sort of exploration easy, having to use a mult every time I want to try to fork a signal would mean having to repatch every single time, AND I would need a billion mults.

1 Like

[quote=“laborcamp, post:28, topic:2976”]
I would need a billion mults.
[/quote]like me?

I need more mults or stackcables cause I like doing the same thing

1 Like

I have two of the 12" blue erthenvar IV cables. I really like them, having a mult point floating above the fray of regular cables and stackcables in a small, dense system (84HP by 7U) can be handy. Mine aren’t any stiffer than the original yellow stackcables.

That said I have two erthenvar 1/8" to 1/4" cables in white, and they are almost unusably stiff. The white cables are effectively hard plastic.

For modular, all I have is Serge. I’m following the same Pomona Electronics banana plug patch cords banana color = length scheme as provided by Sound Transform Systems.

Grey B-4
Green B-8
Yellow B-12
Red B-18
Blue B-24
Purple B-36

Most people I’ve met who play a Serge modular seem to employ a looser method, as far as color = length goes, but I do this for the sake of consistency. One less thing to guess. Color = length works for me, and I happen to find STS’s arbitrary color range pleasing, if not groovy.

I use a Black B-24 banana cable for grounding the STS power supply to the (modified) case of the Oplab. For interfacing, I have some custom banana to ⅛" and banana to ¼" cables.

3 Likes

Agree with @bradleyallen and @glia.
First full modular was a Serge with Pomona banana cables according to STS’s arbitrary color coding.
Never had any failure, be it contact or otherwise, with banana cables;
no noises whatsoever on live patching;
no need for multiples;
sturdy as hell (I could lift Serge panels using banana cables);
and the color coding by length is invaluable when trying to finding the right cable in the rat’s nest that’s called “cable box”.

3 Likes

The control patch cables look very nice, especially the “camo” colored ones. Does anyone know if you could get those in Europe? I find the $43 shipping a little too much to try out a couple of cables.

Just went looking for this thread, hoping to find this link in it, and was surprised to realize it wasn’t already here (3.5mm cable comparison):

3 Likes

Thonk carries the glow in the dark Control cables

2 Likes

I like orange

(But I need more characters)

1 Like

I love Mutable Instruments cables, agree with @jasonw22, the feeling is great.

What color my cables are is more important to me than I originally thought it would be…
I really dig neon pink and code by length. (two different manufacturers, sigh)
gray, neon pink, white and black. I am in 6U.

I eventually got a little irritated with the thickness of Mutable cables. They sometimes get a bit “in the way” more than I’d like. Just ordered some Hosa cables. (20 cables wasn’t enough anyway)

Avoid the tangle. I purchased several cable holders, the kind you mount and then slide the cables into their own slots. No more clutter or tangle.