arc Cascades v1.1
Quickly summon every combination of 256 eighth notes in a 4/4 bar.
How many times have you sequenced out that classic techno beat? Four to the floor kicks. Syncopated hats. Snares on two and four. What about all those times during writing or live performances where you’d like add some variation that isn’t exactly
[random]? You want to control what you’re doing, but need to keep it on the rails. Crucially, you also want to be able to recreate any happy accidents. Well, it turns out there are only 256 combinations of quarter notes in a 4/4 bar so…
That techno beat? With arc Cascades just spin to 170 / 85 / 34.
Want to add a fill? Spin 34 clockwise then back to 34.
With arc Cascades, all of our standard patterns can be broken down into 4 simple integers and controlled with arc. If my math is correct that is 4,294,967,296 combinations of rhythms.
Last year I built an M4L device called Cascade. As soon as I saw what arc could do I knew I wanted to port it over. The visual feedback on arc means you don’t need to look at your computer.
Short demo video:
- Max (for standalone)
- Live (for M4L)
- After creating your patch from clipboard, be sure to save and re-open to initialize the patch.
- Each knob controls its own cascade of note combinations.
- Visual feedback is both onscreen and on arc.
- Each cascade can be routed to a different MIDI channel and muted independently.
- Global BPM, start/stop, and mute/unmute is up at the top.
- arc Cascades is just an arc-to-Max interface. It doesn’t make any sound by itself. Instructions are in the patch for where how to hook up your sounds / VSTs / synths. It includes a rudimentary sampler.
- Constrain number of notes (i.e. only give me patterns with 3 snares)
- Shift current pattern
nsteps forward or backward.
- Volume controls.
- Save / recall combination.
- Whole, quarter, 16th, 32nd notes.
- Merge / combine / diff patterns.
- Independent pattern tempo controls.
- Shuffle / stagger.
- Expose knob sensitivity controls.
(If you’d like to see any of these implemented let me know and I’ll prioritize them.)
- Now synced to Ableton Live playback.
- Renamed “Key” to “Cascade” on UI.
- Fixed bug where the arc “current step” indicator was one off from the current step. (Complete refactor of the animation controller.)
- Fixed bug where the Midi Out knobs were mapped to incorrect display values.
- Initial release.
- v1.1 https://northerninformation.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/arc-cascades-m4l-v1.1.zip
- v1.0 https://northerninformation.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/arc-cascades.zip