Catherine Lamb: point/wave

My latest release (this time on Populist Records) is a recording of Catherine Lamb’s 2015 composition point/wave for steel string guitar in just intonation and electronics. It’s a slow, quiet, cyclical work that explores subtle interactions between closely tuned pitches in changing harmonic fields. The album is available for preorder on Bandcamp exclusively; official release date is 8/21 but since this is a single-track deal you can get the full experience right away. Purchase includes a short illustrated essay I wrote about the piece.

14 Likes

I picked up your american guitars album a while back which I really enjoyed / come back to often – looking forward to checking this one out! <3 Catherine Lamb’s music, I have the version of this on Another Timbre performed by Cristiàn Alvear which is very good too.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, Cristián’s recording is great, and the piece was originally written for him. There is a lot of emphasis on “newness” and first recordings in contemporary classical music, but I really loved the piece and figured we could always use more recordings of new repertoire, as each performance sheds a different interpretive light on any one piece.

3 Likes

Absolutely agreed & thanks for doing this. AFAIK (not having seen the score) the piece involves a fair amount of indeterminacy as well, I’m excited to hear a new take.

1 Like

Definitely! For starters the electronics and the guitar part will never line up exactly the same way. And yes, individual note/chord and phrase duration is indeterminate and ultimately dependent on the interaction of guitar, electronics, and performance space.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know, I’m very much looking forward to spending time with a new realization.

I used to play electric guitar quite a bit with Cat, including her own music. Undoubtedly some of the most demanding music for guitar!

2 Likes

That’s cool. I’d love to pick your brains about the experience some time (My other job is as a music historian)

1 Like

Beautiful interpretation! I’m an Oakland-based composer and guitarist - and surprised we’ve not crossed paths in person. I hope to see you perform when music happens in public spaces again!

1 Like

beauty beauty beauty. thank you

1 Like

A couple of things to mark “official release” day:

The album was picked up by Bandcamp Daily for the “best contemporary classical” monthly column

Also, I will livestream a performance of the piece from home at 12pm Pacific.

3 Likes