a sample playground
norns (210301 or later)
- grid (64 or 128, all editions – 256 works too, just half-used)
- arc (made for 4-encoder)
- OP-Z (setup notes)
- Midi Fighter Twister: cc-mft.mfs (2.2 KB)
- Launchpad, Push 2, or other device supported by midigrid
- TouchOSC to run the cheat codes 2 template – many thanks to @CarlosUnch for helping revise the cc1 template for cc2!
- any device which sends midi
- max for live: cc-osc.amxd (8.1 MB)
- Just Friends
main docs <~~~ click
- inverted main docs: [cheat codes 2] (rev 210714: LTS2) - #115 by hypnosapien
- inverted 64 grid page: [cheat codes 2] (rev 210714: LTS2) - #574 by Cubeinthebox
- an introductory on-demand video course for Music Hackspace: Getting started with cheat codes 2: A sample playground for monome norns - On demand - Music Hackspace (nb. the £7.90 fee covers Music Hackspace’s operating costs)
- an extended on-demand video course for Music Hackspace: Going further with cheat codes 2: A sample playground for norns - On demand - Music Hackspace (nb. the £7.90 fee covers Music Hackspace’s operating costs)
- two beautiful videos from @DuellingAnts :Ways I Use Cheat Codes; Patterns and timing - YouTube, Ways I Use Cheat Codes, Part 2 Delays - YouTube
now available in maiden (make sure to refresh the
- rev 210315: small rnd fix
- rev 210307: CPU optimization + 64/midigrid live rec fix
- rev 210303: threshold live input recording + general improvements
- rev 210227/210221: macros, transport, midigrid, midi config, w/synth, even more
patch 201222 (Dec 22 2020): MIDI notes + Just Friends voices
- MIDI note output!
- Just Friends voice output!
- a TON of mappable MIDI triggers + mods in params!
- random recording probability per live segment
- feedback % per live segment
- control pads from either a single external MIDI channel or multiple external MIDI channels (previously was only multiple) – this fixes issues related to Launchpad + Midi Fighter button-boxes. thank you for debugging help @leolodreamland + @fourhoarder
- arps other than
fwdnow restart correctly after being paused! thank you for the report, @sno!
- live segment recording behaves more predictably when using random triggering (oxymoron, I know, but previous behavior was buggy)
patch 201203 (Dec 03 2020): lowercase alt fix
patch 201129 (Nov 29 2020): midi CC hotfix
- restored OP-Z encoder control over parameters
patches 201128 (Nov 28 2020) + 201126: 64 grid compatibility, fixes: Live rec, arc
- 64 grid support (see PARAMS > GRID): main performance and delay pages! more controls to come.
- 1-shot Live rec latency offset: if you’re recording into cheat codes from another computer’s DAW, you’ll likely see some latency in 1-shot mode. this is expected, so the
latency offsetparameter allows you to compensate for this in 10ms increments, up to 1 second. ymmv, but an easy way to determine a good value to is record in 1-shot mode without this compensation and see how many 0.01s increments it takes to align an auto-chopped pad to the start of the recorded sample. match the latency compensation to this number of increments and you’ll be set for the rest of the session!
- brought back
manual controlparameters for folks wishing to map a static slider to current pad’s start/end points
- laid the foundation for a
#submenu to the
[loops]menu, not accessible in this update tho
- arc window parameter now calculate correctly
- Live rec behaviors (loop or 1-shot) are unique per Live segment
- changing rec loop encoder resolution snaps all segments to appropriate values
- auto-slice zilchmo gesture now checks for pads’ segment assignment and auto-chops pads appropriately to the segment’s start and end points (previously, was just checking with the current rec focus start/end points)
- more fluid buffer jumping
patch 201119 (Nov 19 2020)
- arc LEDs now scale appropriately across all buffers (thank you @swhic!)
- arc movements now update waveform
- arc pattern recorder can switch between foci
- E2 on timing > arc patterns > loop(w) switches between loop(w), loop(s), and loop(e)
- arc pattern playback can have variable rate
- after recording an arc pattern, hold K1 on timing > arc patterns to reveal pattern playback rate
- use E3 while holding K1 to adjust playback rate (1/10th speed to 10x)
- 1x works on all pads in non-focus mode
- focus hold unlocks crow pad toggle
- bright key next to zilchmo 3 when in focus hold mode
- determines whether a pad execution should send a pulse out of the crow output, if timing > pad pattern > crow pulse is set to
- fixed some local alt issues (thank you @bloc!)
cheat codes 2 was built with encouragement, feedback, insight, and ideas from many.
specific thanks is due to:
- @tyleretters for helping me build the yet-to-be-released docs website (more on this soon) and talking through life every few weeks
- @mbutz for establishing such clear methods of grid docs, which served as the backbone to the PDF above
- @DuellingAnts, @glia, @CarlosUnch, @yoyosandshoes, @zanderraymond, @MatthewAshmore, @Quasi, @andrew, @ypxkap, @PaulFe, @Olivier, @edison, @pfig, @noiserock, and everybody else who tested, contributed feedback, gave encouragement, and shared artifacts while this script was coming together, falling apart, stalling out, ramping up, and finally released. each of you has a fingerprint on this thing. i’m so thankful for your time + warmth.
- @tehn + @zebra for initiating norns, developing softcut, and building the patterns of musical inquiry and creative code that have inspired so so so many artists to build, deconstruct, and share. i am deeply grateful for each of your work. you’ve improved + impacted my life so much for those who are able, please buy a few coffees for ezra. cheat codes wouldn’t exist without softcut, which ezra built.