[cheat codes 2] (rev 220517: LTS6.1)

Haha don’t worry! Actually I’ve seen the term used in the past when decribing this functionality, that’s why I was wondering.

And yes, I’m totally digging into it! There’s various reasons why I am very interested in it, firstmost because it’s super cool and so full of brilliant little things, but also because years ago, I had set out to create a looper thing that would also let me slice up / re-sequence the audio with a big focus on real-time, on-the-fly use. Unfortunately this project never went anywhere.
One often creates things to scratch one’s itch, and that was definitely was the case with that project, and CC definitely does a lot of what I had envisioned for the above looper thing, so I’m like: “finally, now I can do some of the stuff I wanted to do back then!”.
So, really, thanks a lot for making this!

2 Likes

Hi @dan_derks , just started to go through your workshop on music hack space (I thought I just missed it, so glad we can follow it after it actually happened!), and there’s one obviously simple thing I can’t seem to do nor find explanations about (either in the videos or in CC2 manual).

I’m stuck at this step (first part, first experiment) : navigate across the auto-distributed pads and modify their loop lengths to taste.
How do you navigate through pads without a grid?

I have a working launchpad and can select a different pad with it, but I’d like to go through every steps and proposed experiments for the workshop :slight_smile: .

By the way I had a really lovely session yesterday night using the arp to sequence an 0coast and resampling it on the fly, can’t wait to practise more with this small setup!

1 Like

oh! apologies! i’ve added it to the course text.

• navigate to the local layer of bank a
  • hold K1and turn E1

it’s in the manual, but perhaps not obvious at-a-glance:

2 Likes

Thank you!
I should have keep going to the next step before asking, I just figured you explain this in the rate video too! Sorry for the trouble :upside_down_face:

1 Like

dope, but i should definitely restructure that section a little :slight_smile: thank you for the feedback!
edit: restructured! now the K1+E1 trick comes in during the rates experiment, which is now also preceded by the rates video :slight_smile:

rev 210303: threshold live input recording + improvements

requires norns update 210301

added:

• threshold recording (ty @infinitedigits for code examples in oooooo and for the nice params reveal mechanism in the latest norns update)
  • on 64-sized grids (monome or midigrid), switching banks will switch views of applicable on-screen menus (ty @cuberoo for mentioning this during the workshop)
  • groundwork for speed dial (more coming)

fixed:

• ghost clicks getting into the live buffer upon script startup
  • MIDI CC messages could be sent to devices which weren’t meant to listen (ty @bc3 for report!)
  • pattern recording now shows bars instead of distro (ty @SPIKE for suggestion!)
  • arp refresh built into the arp clear function to avoid needing to go through menus to restart if the arp clock dies
36 Likes

just gave this a lil test… it’s really rad!!. super slick implementation of the threshold controls… something i’ve always wanted to pull off, was live acoustic guitar into CC. had some super chaotic sessions… with these demo vid ideas, and threshold implementation, you could really work up some cool things with the norns and a zoom recorder! hopefully will report back soon!

4 Likes

Hey, I did the cc update before updating to the latest norns one. I’ve got loud noise, inputs and outputs show high volume. Nothing is connected, restart/reset does not solve the issue. Any thoughts?

sorry to hear about the trouble! suuuuper weird – i can run the cc2 update on a non-updated norns in a few hours, but there’s nothing in the script that would cause noise. the only thing that honestly requires the update is the neat little parameter hide/reveal mechanism. everything else is vanilla.

have you uninstalled the script, installed the update, and tried reinstalling the script? i might also recommend reinstalling the update by holding K1 as you press K3 on UPDATE.

if that doesn’t resolve, just lmk!

Deleted cc the issue persists.
EDIT buzz tone is constant on norns outs

a script wouldn’t cause that, so there’s gotta be something else going on. i’ll dm!

1 Like

I always wondered what “distro” means. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YES! Thanks a lot! This is super dope. I loved that feature on the oooooo. Its going to be much easier to record and correct those recordings :slight_smile:
Now both apps are starting to overlap. Maybe one day the will fusion to create Cheat Coooooodes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

that comes on fates:

pset >> read: /home/we/dust/data/cheat_codes_2/cheat_codes_2-01.pset
pset :: /home/we/dust/data/cheat_codes_2/cheat_codes_2-01.pset not read.

SCRIPT ERROR: init

/home/we/dust/code/cheat_codes_2/lib/start_up.lua:125: attempt to call a nil value (field ‘rebuild_params’)
stack traceback:
/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:138: in field ‘rebuild_params’
/home/we/dust/code/cheat_codes_2/lib/start_up.lua:125: in field ‘action’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/params/option.lua:52: in function ‘core/params/option.bang’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:437: in function ‘core/paramset.bang’
/home/we/dust/code/cheat_codes_2/cheat_codes_2.lua:1287: in global ‘init’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:107: in function ‘core/script.init’
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:139: in field ‘try’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/engine.lua:91: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/engine.lua:89>

Are you on the newest norns firmware? That happened to me a few minutes ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am on fates… @okyeron ?

doesn’t look like fates has had an update yet – you’ll need to download the previous version. dang, hit after hit, hope you get up and running soon!

1 Like

@dan_derks so cool! and so glad that those bits of code helped. love your menu pop-down, brilliant! cheat codes is utterly amazing. not just saying that either. i know how awesome it is because… i’m a cheat-coder now! here’s my first cheat codes foray:

its really wild how fast cheat codes can take you into magical musical territory.

35 Likes

holy shit, zack, this is INCREDIBLE. what a fuckin’ entrance. thank you so much for your energy + for all of the special, embodied, and compelling instruments you’ve contributed to this ecosystem :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

If I may…which synth engine are you using on the OP-1 at the very beginning of the video?

1 Like