[cheat codes 2] (rev 220517: LTS6.1)

hey hey! welcome :slight_smile:

cc2 has a ton of new features over the first one, so @CarlosUnch put together a fantastic new template: [cheat codes 2] (rev 210307: CPU optimization + 64/midigrid live rec fix) - #340 by CarlosUnch

i’ve put this up in the top post, where else would be helpful to surface? want to help folks avoid finding the old template instead of the new one :sparkles:

2 Likes

This looks great, thank you for pointing me to the post!

I had a look at some posts, but I couldn’t find it. I think it could be either added at the beginning (where you specify what cc2 is, maybe in the input section with grids, arc etc), or in the github documentation. Given that I did not find anything there I assumed the old template was the way to go :blush:.

Thanks again!

1 Like

hey,
I´m trying to send the clock to my modular via cvpal.
First of all, is this possible?
Following the cvpal manual (Mutable Instruments | CVpal - User manual)
I think the clock signal has to be send on midi channel 12,13 or 14. I tried to set this port in the clock menu. but no luck. as well I tried different settings under the transport menu.
maybe someone has done this and can help me?!

Edit: ok I realized that setting the port doesn’t mean setting the channel…hm

ah! this is a good clue. midi clock doesn’t require a channel argument – it’s just sent through to the device. from this post from Émilie, CV Pal just needs a little nudge on channel 12, 13 or 14 to transmit the received clock.

so, i’d say try setting up a pad to note to send a note to CV Pal on whichever channel you want to use (channel 12: 24 ppqn; channel 13: 8 ppqn; channel 14: 4 ppqn), and after that it should work out! lmk if you have any additional q’s.

2 Likes

That’s it!! Thank you!!!

2 Likes

rev 210315: rnd restore hotfix

just a small fix: rnd's weren’t restoring correctly when a collection was reloaded. now they are!

4 Likes

If I make a pattern that’s loose, can I make new patterns of the same length?

1 Like

there’s no direct way to use the length of a pattern as a fixed length for another, but that’s where Px sets bpm in the [timing] menu can assist! if you enable this setting, then your loose pattern length will set the bpm and you can then use bars mode to specify the number of bars at that bpm you want a different pattern to record for. ideally, you’ll get a good feel for how long a loose pattern is after a listen-through and can set others accordingly.

a more direct way is a nice feature request, though! noted :slight_smile:

i recently had a breakthrough while talking with @Deru about on-screen UI workflows, which i’d like to tackle now while i’m clear-eyed. patterns are going to get some love as soon as i can, tho!

3 Likes

After making a loose pattern (P1) I’ve enabled P1 sets bpm. Then I’ve tried to set rec mode for P2 and P3 distro instead of loose, but it seems that I only have distro 1.5 option for P2 and distro 1.75 option for P3. Are these numbers the bars? How could I have more options (specially integers)?

a few things happening here:

• Px sets bpm must be set before making your pattern. it doesn’t work retroactively. the assumption is that if it were to activate immediately, it’d be destructive to something else you might have going on.
  • if you’ve already recorded a loose pattern on a bank and switch to bars (have you updated? distro lingo has been deprecated), then cheat codes will round the pattern to the nearest quarter note and show you that value as your bar length – that’s why you’re seeing different floats on your other patterns
  • to fine-tune a bar count, you can hold K1 and turn E3 to get 0.25 deltas :slight_smile:

lmk if you run into any other trouble!

2 Likes

Oh wow man. I’m excited that that was helpful!

1 Like

Thanks, Dan! Updated! It works like a charm! Now I can loop without sounding like these Steve Reich-esque phase experiments (which I love but from time to time I like to keep things tight!).

That would be very nice!

1 Like

CC2 is simply amazing, thanks @dan_derks for this script, it’s something really inspiring (but everyone here already knows it!) I will never stop to say it.

I’m wondering if there is a way to implement a probability behavior for the arp mode movement, to drive pads arpeggios to one or more random pad destinations, with probability, or maybe a “work around” to achieve this behavior not in arp mode?

2 Likes

So you have already tried to set the arp pattern to random in the arp controls page? Also try “additive” mode which is super fun!

Yep, random arp mode is nice and essential! Not sure what is additive mode
?
edit: ok found it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it possible to use audio from Ableton as live input? How?

@lleicamun , lmk how you get on with the random arps! i’d also encourage:

• euclid in span mode with auto rotate and auto offset enabled
  • trying different parameters for random patterns (under PARAMS > patterns + arps)
  • if you aren’t precious about your pad positions, using the random window function in zilchmo 4 while an arp is going

@SMesquida , are you hoping to do it in some way besides an audio cable? there are no additional protocols that I can think of, but happy to help advise with more info!

2 Likes

Could you not just route through your interface? I just use my headphones out from my RME Babyface to send audio into Norns and then make sure the input from my Norns isn’t sent to the headphone mix.

2 Likes

I use an external mixer for this…

2 Likes

You certainly can. I use ableton and an old presonus mobile mixer as an interface.

I Set up a send channel and send what I choose to the norns by using the headphone output of the presonus.

Edit. I’m happy to help if I can. Don’t hesitate to drop me a line and let me know what gear you have and all that jazz. :wink:

2 Likes