[cheat codes 2] (rev 220517: LTS6.1)

@Reinert_Wasserman , totally makes sense, thank you for the detailed request + kind words! i’ll play around with this and post a revision soon :slight_smile:

honestly, best estimate is it’ll come out when it’s done :sweat_smile:
it is very close – i’m in the ‘play it like a stranger’ stage, which often the final round of internal feedback.

i’m really hoping to present it as complete as possible, so i’m just refining some concepts which feel critical to the identity of this alternate version (‘alternate’ because cc2 will remain supported and available as the ‘all-rounder’, with this next version as a refinement for particular use cases + interface interactions which i’m exploring more of in my personal practice).

curious which one in particular you want to undo? hoping there might be a good ‘right now’ solution :slight_smile:

i’ve actually been thinking about this!! funny synchronicity. i’ve been digging into Richie Hawtin’s Plastikman Live system which hinged on this Kapture Max for Live device. this allowed him to snapshot the states of a few key elements so he could explore wild recombinations and modifications while also being able to recall a known/desired state with a button press. obviously cheat codes has a ton of variables, but i think it’d be fun to at least capture pad states (levels, pans, rate) to recall them after a button mash sesh :rocket:

gah, have to remember this one for the next rev. thanks for the bump!

12 Likes

Well, I’m just learning the script, so I do a lot of things that could use undoing. Just opened up the docs again and it looks like I overlooked ALT + *1x, which might be what I need.

Very agreed, this would be super fun and would take some of the pressure off with tighter patterns.

2 Likes

thanks for the advice @dan_derks. I can confirm that after a few reboots I got a 128 type grid going with that edit. Cheers!

2 Likes

Cheat codes with 128 grid layout using two LP minis mk3. Login • Instagram

2 Likes

New to norns, finding the ui quite confusing (app by app) but cheat codes is lovely, working out using it with opz. How can I turn off live input?

That’s on Norns leftmost screen, outside any script. IIRC one of the levels showed there reads “mon” for monitor.

1 Like

I still want to monitor the input, but disable live input from being input to the buffer.

Ahh my bad. Well, for that you could either disable record, or switch the target live buffer to clip buffer.
With record disabled no new material is added to the buffer but you still monitor the input.
FYI you can do sends to the delay independently of recording being active or not.

1 Like

Getting closer! But I’d like to keep the live input out of the delays too, can I set the delays to only be fed by the 3 banks?

Yes, you can do that on the delay settings, set the sends of a b and c to whichever levels you want. IIRC by default the send on live input is set to 0.

1 Like

just closing the loop (thank you @CarlosUnch for the quick and friendly help!!):

in case it helps, the easiest way to manage delay levels for everything is via the entries under PARAMETERS > delays > delay input. there, you’ll find bank-wide sends to each side, as well an entry for external input.

alternatively, you can also manage the send level for each pad via the main menu UI. if you nav to delays, then use E2 to nav over to mix, the currently-playing pad in each bank will be featured. press K3 to bump down to the individual lanes (also walking thru this, yoooo, UI navigating in cheat codes yellow is so much improved holy moly). here, you’ll be able to use E3 to tune the send level for the current pad in each bank, or hold K1 while you turn to affect the entire bank.

lemme know how it goes + if you have any additional q’s!

4 Likes

Thanks :beetle: getting much more Familiar. Solution I’m using is to sample in, then save the live buffer and switch banks a,b,c to clip (loading the saved buffers as clips). This lets me sequence and process the pads whilst still monitoring the Opz unprocessed. :bug: Appreciate the guidance!

Am I able to use Shield as a hub to pass clock from opz to op1?

3 Likes

hi! thank you so much for this wonderful script i’m exploring more and more <3
can you please help me using cc2 to sequence one of the tracks on my analog rytm?
AR is being correctly seen by norns, under midi devices. i did make sure to enable “receive midi notes” and receive midi clock and transport on ar, but only clock from norns work! i did check to receive from usb.
i did set bank c to send midi notes in the parameters menu, i can see AR in the main cc2 menu, but… still can’t send notes. what can i check?
and why do transport not work but clock do?
thank you so much again

1 Like

@MUNINN + @DegradedEcho , so glad y’all are digging in! :slight_smile:

both of your questions actually have answers under PARAMETERS > meta > transport settings!

to send transport + clock from cheat codes (cc2) to external MIDI device(s)

• connect the MIDI device to norns + launch cc2
  • set cc2’s PARAMETERS > CLOCK to internal
  • under meta > transport settings you’ll find a send MIDI transport? matrix for all connected devices – toggle the device(s) you’d like cc2 to send transport messages to
    • make sure that this same device is not also toggled on under receive MIDI transport?, as it’ll feedback
  • under send MIDI clock?, toggle the destination(s) you wish to mult the norns clock out to
  • on the main cc2 performance page, hold K2 to reveal the transport and press K3 to toggle it on/off – cc2’s transport and clock will mult out to the specified devices

@MUNINN , did you resolve your midi note issues? if not, can you please share your settings under PARAMETERS > pad to note setup for the specific bank you’re attempting to send on? lemme know if you run into further trouble!

4 Likes

Sounds like you are on the path now! are you daw-less in you setup at the moment? Im using ableton and I have my shield on a send channel. As long as I don’t fat thumb the record buttons on Cheat codes all is good.
Happy exploring!

2 Likes

Thank you for your fast answer!
Now transport work flawlessly.
Even midi motes work, i did have to change the octave! Works best with -3, -4. Still i have some funky notes here and there and sometimes cc2 triggers other midi channels on my analog rytm but seems fine.
Thank you so much again for this wonderful script, i’m creating a live setup where norns is the brain and cc2 is the most flexible out there. Thank you thank you!

1 Like

hi Dan, I’m trying to sequence cc2 with opz (working beautifully with 0 setup) and also clock op1 from opz by passing the clock through shield. If I set cc2 clock to internal will that not usurp opz? I want opz leading, sequencing cc2 and transport controlling op1 tape :spider_web:

Matthew, I’m currently dawless but in the process of a ‘ritual of organisation’ :spider: in which I sort out my laptop/interface to record and prepare/resample sounds to work with in shield. Rarely having organised/archived my sounds (synthesising live instead) I am enjoying compiling/building (like a yugioh deck!) a library of sounds and resampling gives the process an enjoyable plasticity where source is quickly obscured :cricket:

1 Like

ah gotcha!

you should be able to just skip right to the send MIDI clock? multing section and toggle on the op1 without the other steps, then :slight_smile:

alternatively, you could try installing the passthrough script and that should let you just send the op-z clock straight through as well – cheat codes will automatically check to see if passthrough is installed and will just auto-initialize it!

1 Like

Fabulous! I suspected shield could handle this but just couldn’t quite get there, thanks so much! It’s a lovely instrument cc2 and shield!

Is there a way to quickly audition samples for clips when selecting?

2 Likes

raaaaad, so so stoked you’re enjoying it!! thank you for the kind words – i also really love the way you describe your process :revolving_hearts:

there’s no built-in preview function but the next best suggestion is to nav over to PARAMETERS > loops + buffers > clips and spin E3 on any of the clip slots that have a loaded sample – norns automatically cycles through the other files in the same parent folder :slight_smile:

if you then hit a pad assigned to that clip slot (ideally one with start/end points set to the full range of the loop), what it plays back will change :cyclone:

1 Like