[cheat codes 2] (rev 220524: LTS6.2)

ok, in the process of trying to figure this out, I did a full library update and I guess whatever version I had of CC was the problem. should say I’m still on 201202. thanks for your quick response, so excited to finally get to play with the delay!

3 Likes

I’m finally making time to dive into this absolutely amazing app, and I’m curious if there is consensus (yet) on using arc or MIDI Fighter Twister? Any strengths or weaknesses? I own neither, but looking to purchase one of them (or at least one for now, ha)!

if you’re able to get either one there is no question

get the arc!

I’d try first OSC if you have a tablet and 5€ laying around :wink:

1 Like

Today was the first time I’ve tried to use my OP-Z with CC2. I went into the clock settings on CC2 and set midi as the clock source (coming from the OP-Z). It seems that when I record a pattern (quantized) that it does not play back in sync with the incoming clock from the OP-Z.

As a test I set the clock source back to internal and recorded a simple pattern which played back correctly. Went back a changed the clock source to midi and the same pattern played back differently (not at all in time with how the original pattern was recorded when it following the internal clock). The internal and external BPM were set at the same rate when testing.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

sorry to hear about the trouble! there has been some global discussion about incoming MIDI clock timing issues with the norns clock, so for now i’d say (if possible for your setup) it’s best to set cheat codes as the MIDI clock leader, which would work off of the stable internal clock.

i’m wrapping up an update (which introduces MIDI or crow-controllable macros!) and then will be embarking on a bit of a quantized patterning refactor, so i’m sure between the upstream fixes and a bit of love on the cc2 side, an incoming-midi-clock-and-quantized situation will be more viable.

2 Likes

Great to hear (or just glad I was not doing something incorrect) and thanks as always for the quick reply!

2 Likes

for sure, happy to help!

fwiw, whenever i was working with the op-z, i always found it most fun to treat cc2 as the synth and the op-z as the sequencer – so i’d use the op-z’s on-board button recording/quantization and then make everything go weird + wild with the z’s sequence manipulation functions. definitely a sledgehammer approach tho :hammer: :sparkles:

1 Like

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I’ve spent literal hours reading through documentation and this forum but I can’t seem to even get a simple live loop going. I can’t for the life of me figure out what I could be doing wrong. I’ve never had this kind of issue with any other script. Are there any good live loop walkthroughs/step-by-step tutorials for v2?

pretty please can we get support for w/synth?

2 Likes

@dadbeat.dead , super sorry to hear about the startup snags. hopefully this informal walkthrough helps, let me know how you get on!

looks like trent’s wrapping the firmware up, so…soon :slight_smile:

also:

<3333333333!

24 Likes

gridless jam today, inspired by above video…
all ipad and cheat codes…
samplr, tines, and tardigrain…
all through el capistan.

really enjoy the non-patterned non-button approach…
can’t wait for the updates… gonna get craaazyyyyyy!

16 Likes

I asked in another thread if is it possible to have alternative time signatures, like a 3/4 time signature, for example (Norns time signature). But I didn’t know that time signature is related to a certain script. Is it possible in Cheat Codes to have odd time signatures? How could I do that?

I’ve set Norns clock to internal and I’ve set a 90 bpm tempo.

I would like to set time signature to a 3/4 instead of a 4/4. But I don’t know how and I see that counter resets every 4 beats.

Could somebody explain me how I could do that?

which script are you using?
as far as i know there won’t be any global time signature param because each script uses the clock system differently

3 Likes

the internal clock does not have a time signature, it knows only units of 1 beat.

when internal clock is used, the result of clock.get_beats() simply returns the number of beats since the clock was started. clock.internal.start(value) will reset this counter to value. (or zero by default.)

try it yourself:

function init()
  clock.run(loop)
end

function loop()
  while true do
    print("current beat: ".. clock.get_beats())
    clock.sync(0.25)
  end
end

function key(n,z)
  if n == 3 and z > 0 then
    clock.internal.start()	
  end					
end

this should print out an ascending sequence of numbers, reported every 0.25 beats (approximately) and resetting to zero when key 3 is pressed.
if you are seeing something else, the clock source is probably set to MIDI or Link.

if you find the handling of clock phase in Link a little confusing (as i do) you should read the section on “Phase Synchronization” here: Link Documentation | Ableton

as @glia says, generation of musical logic in sequences is generally the job of a script, and it seems to me that your question should probably be directed at a particular script.

6 Likes

Thank you for both responses! Much appreciate it!

I didn’t know that the internal clock does not have a time signature.

I was asking that question because I’m using Cheat Codes and I see the counter resets every four beats. So I guess I should adress my question to the Cheat Codes thread…

2 Likes

hey there @SMesquida

so im not in front of my norns to check right now and be certain, but i would assume that you could perhaps accomplish the same idea using the euclidean rhythms section of the app. have you fiddled with this at all?

3 Likes

hey @SMesquida – good q! supporting non-4/4 time is a primary goal of the patterning rewrite i’m embarking on after the coming update. for now, @sademik is spot on – euclidean sequences will be the best way to fake it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you, guys!

Can’t wait for this update, @dan_derks!

Meanwhile I will try @sademik’s idea!

2 Likes