[cheat codes 2] (rev 220714: LTS7.2.1 [LFOs + more!])

thats the sampler engine, with a sample of a piano: bechstein piano

the other patch is one of my favorite pads using the fm? engine: wobble pad

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Guess it’s time to dust off my OP-1 after your inspiring video.

1 Like

Great update to an already wonderful script, thank you Dan!

Experiencing some strange behavior lately with norns running Cheat Codes 2…

Summary

The latest weirdness (maybe since the update?) is that I can no longer engage recording from my grid. When one of the record buttons is pressed, instead of engaging recording the looping buffer(if set to loop) will sort of freeze in place until pressed again. If mashed a few more times Norns itself will completely freeze up requiring a reset (k3+k2+k1).

I was getting this same behaviour last night, so this morning I did a fresh install>update>grab CC2, but still the behaviour is the same. The strange thing is that I CAN engage recording from the norns loop menu using K2+K3. I am on a Greyscale 64, and OG Norns.

It’s possible this is all user error, as about 50% of the time when using Norns I feel I am over my head :sweat_smile:… However this is coming off weeks of having crashing errors, where Norns would become unresponsive and make a constant buzzing sound until performing a hard reset. It got to a point last week where the audio output suddenly became very quiet and muffled(?) requiring a fresh install to get it back working.

I have done 3 fresh installs in the past few weeks but just can’t seem to shake these freezing issues. Sorta starting to wonder if maybe this 2nd hand Norns I picked up has some deeper issues…

Here are the last few lines in maiden before the latest crash:

[C]: in function ‘error’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:357: in function ‘core/paramset.lookup_param’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:301: in function ‘core/paramset.t’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu/params.lua:414: in function ‘core/menu/params.redraw’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu/params.lua:616: in field ‘event’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/metro.lua:165: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/metro.lua:162>
lua: /home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:357: invalid paramset index: 82
stack traceback:
/home/we/norns/lua/core/paramset.lua:357: in function ‘core/paramset.lookup_param’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu/params.lua:414: in function ‘core/menu/params.redraw’
/home/we/norns/lua/core/metro.lua:165: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/metro.lua:162>
stack traceback:
stack traceback:

Apologies for the novel about my woes, would just love to get my Norns and CC2 into a more functional state, feeling like I’m in over my head trying to figure this out on my own tho…

hey hey! sorry to hear about the troubles.

the crashing and audio issues definitely point to some norns trouble, so please email help@monome.org and we can arrange further troubleshooting and potential repair.

not at my unit at the moment, but if you want to roll back to the previous script update it’s here: https://github.com/dndrks/cheat_codes_2/archive/ede8f49c0c277b491186bc6f50a6f4988975511f.zip. i’ll do some grayscale testing later today, but that version should get you running :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks so much @dan_derks. That’s actually super relieving to hear it might be something beyond my control… Will send an email that way!

1 Like

Could somebody please let me know on what line number I should add local grid = include(“midigrid/lib/mg_128”) in Cheat Codes? I can’t seem to find the g = grid.connect() line . . . .

Thanks in advance!

hey hey! the script handles all the connection, so you just need to modify line 25 of the main script and replace “midigrid/lib/midigrid” with “ midigrid/lib/mg_128”.

then:

• params > grid > midigrid set to yes
  • params > grid > size set to 128

then turn your launchpads sideways and stack them cuz it’s a vertical interface on the 128 :slight_smile:

heads up: with launchpads, the 64 interface is much better — the line break between the two cuts thru the second bank and doesn’t feel as nice

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!

When you say “the main script,” are you referring to cheat_codes.lua? I don’t see midigrid/lib/midigrid there - here is what I see around that spot:

tau = math.pi * 2
arc_param = {}
arc_switcher = {}
for i = 1,3 do
arc_param[i] = 1
arc_switcher[i] = 0
end
arc_control = {}
for i = 1,3 do
arc_control[i] = i
end

Maybe I have an outdated version installed? I got mine from the project manager - should I install it directly from github?

Ideally, I would like to install two versions - one for when I am using a single LP, and another when I am using both as a 128.

Thanks again!

1 Like

oh, you’re talking about cheat codes 1! there’s a cheat codes 2, as of december of 2020. you’ll need to download the script through maiden – i’m sorry for the confusion, cheat codes 1 is still in there and i haven’t removed it. i’ll do that now.

once you have the new version of the script installed, this should all be clearer – line 25 will look as described + you’ll be in a much-improved and fully-featured script :rainbow:

feel free to join over on the cheat codes 2 thread ([cheat codes 2] (rev 210303: threshold live input recording)) if you have any other q’s about the scriot!

1 Like

Excellent - thanks! Installing Cheat Codes 2 now.

I have a quick question. If I install the main version and add the midigrid line for a single LP, I feel like I should be able to rename that one “Cheat Codes2-64” and then reinstall the script in order to add the mg_128 line, renaming that one Cheat Codes 2-128. Do you think that would work? I have tried this with varying success - seems to work with Buoys, but destroys both of my Arcologies scripts when I do this.

should work! i run alternatively-named versions myself, so should be workable — just save a collection for each config (see manual for more info) so you don’t need to switch grid size in the params each time.

I was playing around with loading in samples today and found that I couldn’t get arps going. Monobright 64. The visual met was just “X.X” flashing to tempo. Which was actually kinda cool. I was using link, and the transport was running. Maybe I’m missing something. I also have to pick monobrightness everytime I load a fresh cheatcodes.

which transport? Live’s? or cheat codes? if you don’t have “send start/stop” set in Live then starting Live’s transport won’t auto-start cheat codes — you’ll need to hold k2 on the main/home screen and press k3. lmk!

re: monobright, are you loading from a default collection? if you save a default collection with monobright selected, it shouldn’t de-select, but lmk :revolving_hearts:

FYI I’m currently patiently waiting for Okyeron to update the fates so that I can run Cheat Codes 2 myself.

Update: currently installing update :slight_smile:

@dan_derks I suspect I will have some suggestions or maybe a PR once I get CC2 running and I can try a few things out.

1 Like

That was it.
Wasn’t familiar with the addition of transport. Got it now.

Ah, CC2 looks for varibrightness by default. Saving a collection does indeed save my monobright selection.

1 Like

Hi @dan_derks - one additional question, please. If I want to start off with a single LP, do I have to make any changes to the code first (other than setting the parameters as you mentioned)? I ask because when I plugged in my single LP and tried to run Cheat Codes 2, I got an error:init.

Thanks!

@Clashley1 – glad to hear it all worked out! arps + euclid rely on the transport, so just make sure it’s running and you should be good!

@bharris22 , single Launchpad midigrid support is fully integrated, so you don’t need to touch any of the code, it’ll just run. any shot you’re not on the latest norns software update? it came out this past week :slight_smile:.

otherwise, seems like some folks have had the outdated midigrid library – the one you need is Midigrid: use launchpads and other midi grid controllers with Norns, which can be installed by executing ;install https://github.com/jaggednz/midigrid in the maiden repl after deleting the old one.

if it isn’t those two, could you please share the errors that print to maiden when you load the script? sounds like something local, but easy to overcome!

1 Like

Hi @dan_derks - I am pretty sure I am not on the latest norns update, as I have not updated this week. I will try this in the morning (it’s past my bedtime now) and report back - thanks!!

1 Like

Midigrid with two devices aka. mg_128 does not play nice with cheat codes 2 at the moment. Working on a fix as I am able…

2 Likes