Chester Winowiecki - Safety Precautions (Ciat-Lonbarde Fourses)

I’m happy to announce the release of my album, Safety Precautions. (Full title: Safety Precautions: Live performance of long​-​form improvisation on the Ciat​-​Lonbarde Fourses in the Zi​-​Hai with electronic and acoustic filters.)
It’s heavily influenced by interest in David Tudor and is kind of a coming of age for an instrument that I’ve owned for more than 15 years.

From the Bandcamp release page:
The Fourses (for short) is an electronic musical instrument designed by Peter Blasser of Ciat-Lonbarde instruments. I purchased one as a kit and built it in 2006?, making some modifications along the way. I’ve enjoyed playing it for many years, slowly developing some small understanding of how this beautiful and strange instrument works. This past year I had an insight that led me to design and build a 4 channel amplifier system specifically for the Fourses and 4 different speaker and transducer units attached to objects. These act as acoustic filters and are inspired by the ones David Tudor used in his Rainforest series of works. The final element arrived when Josh Rodriquez (crücFX) laid out and made available a circuit board for the Dubernator, another Ciat-Lonbarde device, long out of production and meant for use with the Fourses. It is a two channel resonant filter and is being used on 2 of the 4 amplifier inputs. All tracks are recordings of live performance with no overdubs or edits. Only compression and equalization were added after the recording. The recordings were made with 2 handmade phantom powered condenser microphones and captured on a Zoom H5 recorder.
As usual, it’s available on Bandcamp:

Although I currently have it for sale, I have lots of download codes that I’m happy to share. Please use them and leave a comment if you do so I can cross them off.
6ram-ya3e
nlf6-77du
meau-5v4p
b67a-7ye2
5nwb-jffc

gfmv-y52e
3wb8-7uwu
ajv3-eqhp
r9b5-utp2
a2xf-jn7c
vvcm-ybpv
7gj7-7hu8
v2bx-5van
9vas-7y3e
nb9e-eflu
ma2b-3aqp

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

11/15 Added more download codes!
2/14/22 Here are some more codes. :slightly_smiling_face:
em27-jhan
grmv-ye3e
2xb8-7udu
aev3-eq4p
r8b5-u8e2
ufxf-jaf7
v5cm-y2ev
f6j7-7hn8

18 Likes

Sounds interesting! I took v2bx-5van for myself.

1 Like

Congrats on your release.

I took ma2b-3aqp. Thanks!

1 Like

I should also add that there are hand dubbed cassette versions available for purchase and that I’m open to trading cassettes with other artists. :grinning:

thank you, i used this code. look forward to listening.

1 Like

Used this code, thanks! 15 years is a long time with an instrument, wow.

1 Like

Well, there was a period when it sat unused in the closet. :man_shrugging:
It took me a long time to get deeper into it and not only let it be what it wanted to be but to also nudge it around to where I found it to be interesting. Getting a better understanding of electronics also helped me figure out what it can and can’t do.

1 Like

I used code a2xf-jn7c – thank you!

1 Like

grabbed nb9e-eflu thanks!

1 Like

I used 7gj7-7hu8, Thanks.

1 Like

Congratulations on the release! Really looking forward to checking it out. I used code ajv3-eqhp.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Chester.

1 Like

Such good stuff! <3 (20 chars)

1 Like

Thanks Josh! I’m glad you like it.
@crucFX is the one responsible for resurrecting the Duber/Dubernator and sharing the files so I could build my own. It’s so important to the sound I was after and was able to get. :pray:

2 Likes

this is awesome - loving the sounds, timbres and rhythmic elements. The duber makes a perfect addition to fourses. David Tudor, particularly his use of cv feedback, is a big inspiration.

I have recently finished building a fourses / duber /intersexon combo and it is, for me, my favourite Ciat DIY build…by a long way - thanks to @crucFX for bringing it back to life.

Congratulations on such a unique, interesting and adventurous release. It’s bold and different - and thats why I like it.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, @mlogger ! I really appreciate the comments. I’ve had a little bit of feedback along the way but it’s easy to lose perspective so I’m glad that the end product is engaging.
I agree that the Fourses is a really special instrument. I’m glad that it’s getting more attention and that there are some new builds. I find that the specal cuck and the ice stab of the F formation are incredibly important to getting what I want out the Fourses. I don’t know if they are a part of the version of the Fourses that came from the paper circuits but the schematics are in the Fourses and Fyrall papers. I highly recommend adding them to your Fourses if you haven’t already.

3 Likes

The special cuck - yes the power starve - I have this. Josh added a mod so you can starve different sections of each Fourses circuit - he added additional inputs on the boards to connect to the cuck - there’s also a pot to adjust the amount of starve on the cuck.

The ice stab, I’m not sure about but I do want more feedback and add piezo’s. I think it’s via the overdriven speaker amps on the Intersexon- will check with Josh.

1 Like

i have alot of appreciation for peter and folks who master his instruments

very eager to hear more but i like this already :slight_smile:

(kind of ya to share codes!
i used r9b5-utp2)

3 Likes

@mlogger ,Here’s a copy of the ice stab circuitry from the Fourses papers (it’s in the Fyrall papers too but harder to read.) The FET is a 2N3819 and the transistors are BC54* and BC55*.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing, I used the following code :

It reminds be I need to finish my paper Fourses, it’s arpserge tartpterge and intersexon and they all work, but I just have to wire the damn thing!

1 Like