Christmas // Winter music

Hello Lines. I love Christmas music, both to listen to and to create.

I love listening to it because the festive season seem to inspire people to create unguardedly sacharine, ridiculous, and also sorrowful music. It seems like everyone has a sad song to sing at christmas, but no one can take themselves seriously whilst doing so.

I also love making christmas music, because it provides an obvious topic and a real, strict, deadline (that being christmas day). For me, at least, this forces me to make quicker decisions - and to be more fast and loose with my music making.

In this thread I’d love if people would share christmas // winter music that they’ve made, and their favourite christmas songs from other artists.

Personally, I have just finished making this album with some of my friends - and it was a really fun recording experience.

Parenthetical girls made a lot of christmas music - it’s all good, but this song in particular gives me goose bumps
https://parentheticalgirls.bandcamp.com/track/the-salvation-army-bell

4 Likes

The predecessor to this very community released 2 comps of Christmas music on bandcamp.

I always loved these.

Edit: wow, didn’t realise that they were 7 and 8 years ago. Time flies!!!

2 Likes

While this evokes something a bit different than what is probably meant by this thread – more like the experience of getting lost in a snowstorm – I’ve been listening to this a lot lately:

also

these too are experiences of winter…

(Personal note… I only lived four years in a place that had anything like a winter climate… and loved it… and don’t think I’ll ever get the chance again, so I have to experience it through music and other means…)

0 Likes

In this thread I’d love if people would share christmas // winter music that they’ve made,

Recorded in the rain a Labyrinth near Hexham on Christmas day 2015. Sadly foreshadowed the death of David Bowie

death-lounge supergroup, originally released on CDr packaged in a poundland nativity scene. xmas in name only, it’s just heta-uma jazz really tho the release and our couple of live shows were around the time.

and their favourite christmas songs from other artists.

1 Like

few years ago i made this quick and sloppy multitrack viola rendition of jean mouton “noe, noe psallite noe”, for a family solstice mixape. its a christmas motet from, like, 1520 ish?

indeed, i like this piece cause it’s weirdly mournful and joyful at once.

(proper version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8eo7kr5XEQ)

8 Likes

[quote=“ht73, post:3, topic:18304”]
Personal note… I only lived four years in a place that had anything like a winter climate… and loved it[/quote]

I grew up in Florida and saw about 4 snowflakes in the first 26 years of my life. So many Christmas songs really felt like they were just rubbing it in.

Then I moved to St Louis and after a few times shoveling snow, I can do without the white Christmases. It’s beautiful when it just falls like a blanket and stills everything, but actually dealing with it, not so much. It beats ice every time though…

1 Like

Here’s a rendition of the Huron Carol by Aidan Baker…

0 Likes

There’s also Robert Fripp, with a Frippertronics version of Silent Night…

1 Like

So first is Coils winter solstice offering

Next my fave Cristmas song ever:

3 Likes

Since 35 years, I’ve bee listening to Isao Tomita’s first album with renditions of Debussy’s pieces every winter. It was recorded in 1973, released in 1974, and done by multitracking a Moog IIIp and a Mellotron. Here are “Snowflakes are dancing” and “Footprints in the snow”:

This is the YT playlist for the complete album.

6 Likes

Jazzy middle ground material for Christmas Day when maybe less adventurous family members are around, so you need Christmas themes but you can’t face any more saccharine Mariah Carey or Michael Bublé… almost the whole record fits the above, I suppose, but this track is my fav.

0 Likes

In New Zealand the topic would be “Christmas // Summer music” and I basically associate Christmas really strongly with crappy reggae, it being the festival season, etc. But this band recently did something a bit more icy-sounding.

The cover of Last Christmas reminds me of … I think it’s Ash Ra Tempel but maybe Popul Vuh? Bit embarrassing but I always mix them up. The nods to Trans Europe Express in the medley are very funny too.

0 Likes

I actually liked shoveling snow, it was a great way to get rid of all sorts of aggressive/negative feelings. the “annoyances” also led to some kind of interruption in work as well as community involvement, like helping a neighbor get their car unstuck. otherwise people get 100% absorbed in themselves and work.

I did not like it on the day we had 22 inches though… those further up in the mountains reported 4-5 feet, I have no idea how they dealt with that.

But shoveling wasn’t a daily thing, we did this maybe 10-15 times a year… usually just once per event… the sun would usually just melt the snow/ice with less than three inches.

I remember only one white Christmas, but three white Easters…

There was also nothing better than the clear sunny day after a snowstorm, because everything would be bathed in light… the sky above and the.snow below… the sky also shone a brilliant blue.

In a land without seasons everything just looks tired… leaves on the bushes and trees look tired, the sky is pale and washed out, it feels like the sky will just go out one day like an old light bulb.

2 Likes

one of my personal favorites, Warner Jepson’s Buchla Christmas

0 Likes

Sun Ra’s ‘Singles’ album is pretty fantastic, especially this time of year

1 Like

This:

And this, of course:

And probably this one too, especially for Nicholas’ track:

1 Like

Not actually a Christmas song, but definitely feels like one.

2 Likes

This is a pretty sick mashup of all the christmas carols by Vaughan Williams

0 Likes

Ha I’d forgotten I was on this one. I turned up mercifully late and missed most of the recording session, stayed for the cake + drinking.

0 Likes

0 Likes